Mechanical disc brakes

Chalo said:
Hey, how else are you going to have the chance to lose 100% of your braking when you're out in the middle of nowhere, with nothing you can do about it?

To this day, I have never had a cable leak out of my bike.

I can think of a few ways that can happen with cable brakes. If you had old worn cables, the cable knob could break off at the lever. It's hard to macgyver a fix for that one... need a new cable. I pay attention to my cables, replace them before they get frayed. I have certainly seen many customers come in with that problem from neglect when I worked in bike shops.
Sometimes, the cable breaks at the other end, too. Back in the canti brake days, some people would have the cable break at the straddle clamp, and then the straddle cable would get caught in your tire, and flip you over the handle bars! Shimano came up with this http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222394764/1234/Shimano-BR-CT91-B.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAqqO0BRDyo8mkv9y259EBEiQApVQD_aiTYjAEuwNiQExXNpJSKCOzXuD9ZGzm_XPRym2LGI8aApGm8P8HAQ to solve the problem of people who don't maintain their bikes, face planting when their cables broke.
I have been riding hydraulic discs since 98? The very first Hayes Mags, before they had IS brake mounting standards figured out. I ride mountain bikes. Used to race DH bikes, had season's pass at Whistler, etc. Like to go fast, ride as steep and rugged trails as possible. Strong brakes that don't fail are vitally important to me. Through out the years, I have had several different models of brakes, mostly hydros, but have used BB7's before, too. Current hydro discs are super reliable. I am pretty tough on bike parts. The shimano XT brakes on my bike are 4 years old, and the oldest parts on my bike. They have been used first on a DH bike, shuttling up 3000ft mountains in pickup truck laps for two seasons. Two seasons on trail bike, where a typical 90min or so ride is up 1200ft mtn, down. A bigger, 3-4 hour ride would do 3000ft. When they were on the DH bike, went through maybe 3 sets of pads a season, bought the same for tires. Trail bike sees less descending, and you tend to ride less steep trails that milk the elevation more, less braking, so get almost a year out of pads. The finned brake pads last way longer than the old kind. They are pricey tho.

The hydro brake is a pretty simple system. There is not much to it: lever with one simple piston. caliper with two pistons and an o-ring sealing the caliper halves. and the line.

I ran the BB-7's cuz I had some XT 8spd shift/v brake levers I was attached to. They worked pretty good, though I did have to adjust them pretty frequently for cable stretch, pad wear. Had to replace cables a few times when they'd get dirty. I do appreciate that you can adjust your whole brake setup with a 5mm.
Nice thing about hydros is they are self adjusting for pad wear, and the lines are sealed, so don't get contaminated by moisture/mud the way cables do. In practice, they are pretty set and forget. And the hydro lines don't really wear out, barring extreme crash damage. The main risk of brake failure, is big crash, that spins your handlebars around a bunch of times and tears the line/cable out of the lever. I have had this happen to both cable and hydro operated bikes. Ruins your day. Avoiding big crashes is best fix :D Hydro lines are pretty tough... they can take a pretty serious crash/yank without damage. I'd say the amount of force you need to yank a hydro line out, is about the same as what it takes to rip a brake cable out of the lever.

For general use, I think hydros are more reliable, less maintenance, cheaper long term than bb7's.
Shimano deore hydros are like $80-90 for the pair, levers, line, caliper. They come bled out of the box. Just bolt them on.
BB-7's are like $100 for pair, for just the caliper. Still need cables and housing, $10-30. And levers.
I generally put new cables on every time I replace worn out brake pads. I definitely think the avid's benefit from premium compressionless housing, so that's extra $20-30 every time you do brake pads. I do think it's a good policy to do full bleed, replace fluid every two brake pad changes or two years, whichever comes first, especially if it's a DOT fluid brake. Mineral oil brakes, the fluid doesn't degrade like dot does. There are lots of people who never bleed their brakes, and get 5+ pad changes before anything goes wonky.
I the course of the life of a set of BB7 brake pads, you prolly adjust the pad position 5 times, might need to tighten the cable a few times. Yes, it is easy to do, but it's still something to do. Hydros, no adjusting life of the pads.

The bleeding procedure is pretty easy, just like a moto, really. A lot of people are intimidated by hydraulics, but there is not much to it. You just need that $5 bleed cup, and fluid. $15 for a liter and you will have fluid for life.

shadetree said:
Chalo said:
Hey, how else are you going to have the chance to lose 100% of your braking when you're out in the middle of nowhere, with nothing you can do about it?

To this day, I have never had a cable leak out of my bike.

................ irrelevant information/ discussion about hydraulic brakes.

I ran the BB-7's cuz I had some XT 8spd shift/v brake levers I was attached to. They worked pretty good, though I did have to adjust them pretty frequently for cable stretch, pad wear. Had to replace cables a few times when they'd get dirty. I do appreciate that you can adjust your whole brake setup with a 5mm.

BB-7's are like $100 for pair, for just the caliper. Still need cables and housing, $10-30. And levers.
I generally put new cables on every time I replace worn out brake pads. I definitely think the avid's benefit from premium compressionless housing, so that's extra $20-30 every time you do brake pads. I the course of the life of a set of BB7 brake pads, you prolly adjust the pad position 5 times, might need to tighten the cable a few times. Yes, it is easy to do, but it's still something to do.

Please find somewhere else to discuss hydros and hydro vs mechanical. There are many threads on this forum about it already and this choice was not from ignorance. If you really want to discuss it, welcome to start your own thread for it.

This thread is to be above mechanical brake options, better or worse - if you can beat the BB7 for price, mechanical reliability and pad options with another mechanical brake, I'm really keen to hear about it.

rolls eyes.gif

In defense, i've seen some excellent info in this thread, and noone was fighting hydro over mech (. . . yet :lol: )

Shadetree is a new poster, has offered alot of great info on brakes, and isn't trying to argue with your choice, so I see it as silly (almost choose mary poppins gif) to want to stamp out any hydro mention/info/discussion.

nutspecial said:
..and noone was fighting hydro over mech (. . . yet :lol:)

Shadetree is a new poster, has offered alot of great info on brakes, and isn't trying to argue with your choice, so I see it as silly (almost choose mary poppins gif) to want to stamp out any hydro mention/info/discussion.

Precisely why I have politely requested to take it somewhere else. Inevitably this discussion will now devolve into comparing the two - which is irrelevant. It was equally accompanied with an invitation for any further relevant information Shadetree would like to share, more than happy to see more from him as his contribution up that point had been awesome. Nothing but respect here 8)

Irrelevant for only some, but you're within your rights to request. We were already talking about hybrids (you were considering), and the discussion was just fine imo, including full hydro, so I find the request silly.

Anyway, I confirm your selection of bb7. Best performing FULL mech brake for the money, but personally will likely prefer full hydro and appreciate the info.

One thing the OP was unclear about was if this beater bike was going to get a motor. And if it was, did the brakes need to interface with the controller? It is pretty easy to do this with cable brakes by using the supplied brake levers, but how good are similar devices for hydraulic brakes?

Lurkin said:
This bike isn't going to be electrified (for now :lol: ).

Much easier with mechanical brakes. Can do inline sensors, use the crumy ones with the kit or glue on a reed/hall sensor.

Hydros require either a reed/hall sensor glued to them or to be inherently ebike levers (which are notoriously expensive for nice ones) or Maguras inline sensor (or DIY equavalient from a motorbike hydraulic brake light oil pressure sensor), which are also expensive (EUR20 + freight) or require milling for a nice job. Been throught this recently with Saint brakes, hard to do a really neat, nice install cheaply and quickly. Kit brake handles are out and the equivalent sensors offered generally don't fit well/are fugly.

Wouldn't mind a cheap, DIY version of the Magura inline pressure sensor if anyones inclined to mill them, but cant really see it being light and cheap.

I got all fretted out at first about going to fast on an eBike for the brakes. I tried my pals LBS adjusted BB7 and my Tektro KoolPad bike on the tarmac using th Motorcycle Safety Foundation class course to do panic stops. I'm staying with good quality pads. My bike had better stopping distances. I run 26" disks by Alex.

tomjasz said:
I got all fretted out at first about going to fast on an eBike for the brakes. I tried my pals LBS adjusted BB7 and my Tektro KoolPad bike on the tarmac using th Motorcycle Safety Foundation class course to do panic stops. I'm staying with good quality pads. My bike had better stopping distances. I run 26" disks by Alex.

Rim brakes/V brakes are inferior to discs in bad weather conditions. Do the stop test again after riding through some wet roads or muddy tracks. Of my 4 bikes, 3 have disc brakes because I live in "4 seasons in 1 day" Melbourne.

I happily run ultegra rim brakes on my carbon race bike which pretty much only sees road time when its sunny and im going to the beach for a morning coffee (Melbourne Hipster lyf?)

I live in a city that gets, on average 200MM more of rain than Melbourne, has temps ranging from and average low of -4.3C to a average high of 30C. I'd rather put my life in the hands of properly maintained pads. Sorry mate we'll have to live another day to disagree. :D

I have these low end mech Shimano's, they work well for the price.
They have a good sized square 74mm pad, not that little round pad like the tektro.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=68430&category=30

Although here are some avid hydro for cheap.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=21893&category=13

Raged said:
tomjasz said:

Rim brakes/V brakes are inferior to discs in bad weather conditions. Do the stop test again after riding through some wet roads or muddy tracks. Of my 4 bikes, 3 have disc brakes because I live in "4 seasons in 1 day" Melbourne.

I happily run ultegra rim brakes on my carbon race bike which pretty much only sees road time when its sunny and im going to the beach for a morning coffee (Melbourne Hipster lyf?)

The rain here is also not clean - its fully of dirt. I also have problems with wheels going out of true, so annoying with rim brakes whereas discs buy a bit of time to get it trued.

Couldn't agree more about quality pads though, I don't think this is a rim brake/disc brake argument - quality pads are key either way. A little while ago I bought some el cheapo disc brake pads from ebay just to see what they were like. Despite being described as resin pads, they were full of metal (totally visible) and squealed like hell. Swapped back to Shimano genuine, problems solved.

Man, haven't been to beach road in so long, got back on the roady after a year off it on Saturday and just about died! So unfit. 55km later I was done, but the missus paced me like a champ... pretty embarrassing! :oops:

Lurkin said:
Couldn't agree more about quality pads though, I don't think this is a rim brake/disc brake argument - quality pads are key either way. A little while ago I bought some el cheapo disc brake pads from ebay just to see what they were like. Despite being described as resin pads, they were full of metal (totally visible) and squealed like hell. Swapped back to Shimano genuine, problems solved.

Man, haven't been to beach road in so long, got back on the roady after a year off it on Saturday and just about died! So unfit. 55km later I was done, but the missus paced me like a champ... pretty embarrassing! :oops:

Was she on an ebike? Hahaha... My missus gasses out at about 30km distance and she definitely doesnt like hills or riding after food. Last time I tried to ride to dinner with her, she started throwing up 5km in to the ride home ( 15km from the food place ) so I had to haul ass home, pick up the car and drive back to pick her up and the bike... =( I strangely dont have an issue cycling after eating...

This is my full carbon roadie with 18 speed ultegra. I enjoy my ebikes, but every time I ride this thing, I appreciate light weight, nimbleness and ease of pedalling a 10kg bike... especially when you're chasing a lycra... It sadly doesnt see as much road time as my BBS02 Cyclocross ( main workhorse)
Carbon_Roadie.jpg

Raged said:
Was she on an ebike? Hahaha... My missus gasses out at about 30km distance and she definitely doesnt like hills or riding after food. Last time I tried to ride to dinner with her, she started throwing up 5km in to the ride home ( 15km from the food place ) so I had to haul ass home, pick up the car and drive back to pick her up and the bike... =( I strangely dont have an issue cycling after eating...

This is my full carbon roadie with 18 speed ultegra. I enjoy my ebikes, but every time I ride this thing, I appreciate light weight, nimbleness and ease of pedalling a 10kg bike... especially when you're chasing a lycra... It sadly doesnt see as much road time as my BBS02 Cyclocross ( main workhorse)

No, that's what's embarrassing about it! We were both on unassisted roadies. She's been commuting on an unassisted, 3 inch tyred mountain bike and has evidently built up fitness. Meanwhile I have been riding the ebike daily, but I'm not doing enough work. She can normally pretty much keep up on the BBS01 mountain bike - hence I'm putting together something with more power 8)

Uh, throwing up is a evidence of a lack of fitness - you broke her dude! The fact she went to that extent is impressive. She'll get you back - the throw up point is usually very expensive. Careful, don't put her off - having a partner keen on bikes helps with buying new toys!

It never ceases to amaze me how efficient road bikes are at just... rolling... so good!

Back