Min Kota

Ozzzz

100 W
Any suggestions for an efficient design to use my 36v shark packs to power a minkota 12v outboard ( http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Products/RIPTIDE-TRANSOM-45-LB-36-INCH-SHAFT/ ) ( think they do 36v versions but much bigger model than I need for a kayak). Iv'e considered building but the kayak wont get nearly as much use as the bikes. Iv'e not pulled the battery apart, will it be sufficiently waterproofed? Any advice? :)

You won't be able to run the MinnKota at more than its rated <nominal> voltage of 12V. Even 18V will fry those motors. I tried running my MinnKota with a 48 to 12V DC DC converter, but the high amp draw of the motor eventually fried the DC DC. You might be able to get a away with a DC DC hooked up in parallel to a regular AGM trolling motor battery to supplement it, like a Trojan or something, with the motor connected to the AGM battery. I find the 40 thrust Maximizer MinnKota to peak at over 40 amps if you get in some seaweed or something, so you will need a 60 amp thermal breaker as well, as is included in the MinnKota "PowerCenter" product. I haven't found a great way to run the MinnKota off my ebike packs <yet>.

Thanks for your post. I had thought of building (or buying) some 12v packs when i need the next battery, they could be paralleled for the kayak and serialised for the bike. I guess this would be a more effective/versatile way (so long as they'll handle the current).

Back