Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Bike with Bafang mid-drive

dumbass

100 kW
My Wally World Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire bike arrived this morning. Holly Crap that thing has big tires. I stood the front fat tire next to my motorcycle's from tire and the fat tire is actually taller and pretty much the same width too. The new Bafang 100mm motor from Doug (California Ebake) should arrive Monday. So I'm breaking my butt to finish off a few "honey due" projects this weekend so I can start putting everything together next week.

I think I got one of the last Walmart Dolomite for the $212 with free shipping to the house. Shortly after I placed my order the price increased to $249.

I am trying to decide what size chain ring would work best. The chain ring that comes with the bike is a 32t and is paired with a 14t - 28t cluster. Several reviewers of the bike indicated they felt it needed a lower gear ratio. The 750w Bafang is coming with a standard 48t sprocket. But Doug is sending me an adapter ring that he says will allow me to go all the way down to a 32t chain ring. Any thoughts or personal experience would be appreciated.

Temporally I hang a lifepo4 battery bag over the top bar till I can build something more permanent. I want to see how the bike fits me ASAP cause I think I will need to order a high-rise handlebar.

Wish me luck,

Bob

dumbass said:
My Wally World Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire bike arrived this morning. Holly Crap that thing has big tires. I stood the front fat tire next to my motorcycle's from tire and the fat tire is actually taller and pretty much the same width too. The new Bafang 100mm motor from Doug (California Ebake) should arrive Monday. So I'm breaking my butt to finish off a few "honey due" projects this weekend so I can start putting everything together next week.

I think I got one of the last Walmart Dolomite for the $212 with free shipping to the house. Shortly after I placed my order the price increased to $249.

I am trying to decide what size chain ring would work best. The chain ring that comes with the bike is a 32t and is paired with a 14t - 28t cluster. Several reviewers of the bike indicated they felt it needed a lower gear ratio. The 750w Bafang is coming with a standard 48t sprocket. But Doug is sending me an adapter ring that he says will allow me to go all the way down to a 32t chain ring. Any thoughts or personal experience would be appreciated.

Temporally I hang a lifepo4 battery bag over the top bar till I can build something more permanent. I want to see how the bike fits me ASAP cause I think I will need to order a high-rise handlebar.

Wish me luck,

Bob

I bought an el-cheapo Fatbike too, though here, "cheap" was 1000 US$ even on sale. ;)

Doug's conversion is great and I used his chainring adapter to keep the fathike's original 36T chainring. It was good for climbing really steep hils but trying to keep up with peddling at speed was not easy - I would think your 32T would make it impossible. Not using the stock offset chainring also put the chainline out quite a bit so I got a lot of gear slippage and chain drop. So I swapped out the 32T for a 42T chainring called a Bling Ring sold by em3ev - I think there's at least one other in Italy that makes a similar one - it's heavily offset so it fixed my chainline great and I can keep up peddling now. It's still good enough to get up the hills I need to and I don't need to use the 11T sprocket to hit top speed.

I have a thread describing mine here; http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=65819

Ade,

Thanks for the info. I looked at the bikes stock chain ring last night and it looked like it would seperate from the crank shaft. Unlike most cheapos that the sprocket is welded to the shaft. So I was thinking I might be able to transfer the holes from Doug's adaptor to the stock chain ring for a trial. I'd like to avoid buying 6 ring to find the right one. That could cost more then the bike did....LOL I also have a ring from my 48v 500w drive that is a 46t so I can try that as well. I just worry about blowing these fragil controllers with to much load. My granny gear on the cluster is only a 28t. But with a 14t high gear people will be jogging past me is I make the chainring to low.

Bob

Back