Motor and controller from a kobalt 80v mower

Since the controller is just on and off for the mower I am planning to see if I can adapt it to run off a cheap ebike controller I have laying around. So the first thing I need to figure out would be the hall wiring.

If anyone has any questions of anything related to this motor feel free to ask I will add dimensions soon. And if thereis any sugestions on how to figure out thw hall wiring without taking apart the motor I'm open to suggestions, as in starting the research now

View attachment 1

This is the random no name controller I had laying around to use with this project, no idea on the specs gonna assume 48v 1000w but not sure, will open it up and add pics next.

Cracked open the Motor to figure out the halls and everything was potted, but on the board I found labels for A B C GND + 5 which I pinned out to the cable as follows
0226191251~2.jpg
Now to just figure out A B C to connect to the green yellow blue of the hall connection on thw controller

Solved the halls and have it running with throttle on the controller at 52v
0226191417~2.jpg
The wire I built to go to the controller had the green and yellow wire swapped hence the arrow on the diagram

Great find and top work on reperposing it, what's your planned use for it.

Just for grins...have you tried a potentiometer between the two handlebar switch leads? (assuming it's not just switching the main battery power on and off).

amberwolf said:
Just for grins...have you tried a potentiometer between the two handlebar switch leads? (assuming it's not just switching the main battery power on and off).
I picked up a razor crazy cart, the smaller one, and being a big kid I need that to go fast lol... Will post the build progress on that when I start.

amberwolf said:

Are you talking about the 3 speed switch thats on these controllers? Cause I have a throttle that is hooked up and working. Just havent touched the speed wires yet mainly because I need to figure them out for this controller.

Threading on the shaft is M10x1.5

To mount a sprocket I took a bolt and ground a keyway into and screwed it right into the shaft.... Done for my need at the moment
0226191622~2.jpg0226191621~2.jpg

Shaft dimensions are 17mm thick by aprox 35 mm from the face of the Motor keyway on shaft goes down to 14.5mm and is 15.5mm deep

The 4 mounting tabs on the face are 84mm to the center of the bolt holes

Motor body is 78x100 mm and mounting tabs are 106mm x 106mm

Invisionelite said:
amberwolf said:

Are you talking about the 3 speed switch thats on these controllers? Cause I have a throttle that is hooked up and working. Just havent touched the speed wires yet mainly because I need to figure them out for this controller.
No, not the ebike controller, the original controller. To see if the system is detecting a resistance (or rather, a voltage across it) and providing power based on that, where a dead short gives full power, and a higher resistance gives less and less power. (because the voltage used for throttle might actually be developed within the potted controller on a second resistor in there).

Alternately, it might take a voltage input on one of the wires; whichever one has no voltage on it when the circuit is open.

But either way, it only *might* be possible, and only if the switch on the mower handlebar doesn't controll full battery current.

I understand now, I tossed the original controller to the side because I could not get it to power up. It has 3 power input wires and after some research the 3rd line is some communication or voltage supply when hooked up to the sock battery pack. From what I understand the 80v pack sends pos, neg, sig(5v?) To the controller as some safety crap so you dont blow it up. Once I get one I'll try it out and see

Should be some of those being sold off very cheaply at garage sales and such with a dead battery. Be cool to get it moving something for transport :D

I've been curious about these motors since I first saw the mowers.
As it was mentioned earlier, there should be more and more of them showing up cheap in the future.
Someone should find a use for them.
Do you know how many amps they were rated for at 80v?
Or what it's shaft speed is?

Back