motor problems? zero resistance in coils

fill

100 W
on opening up the controller housing for the 'junk' bike i am trying to fix i found burnt and fused connectors on 2 of the 3 phase feeds to the motor (blue/yellow) the third green was covered in gaffer tape..
P1010751.JPG
P1010752.JPG

snipping the burnt on sleeve on the blue and yellow wires to reveal the wire/connector i tested the resistance between blue/yellow, green/yellow, and blue/green.
all zero'd out 200k range iirc

Not knowing much at all i cut the controller connections and retested the motor wires disconnected from the controller with the Same results.

the feed cable into the motor does Not look twisted at all, BUT its external support spring is rusted to buggery and back.

My Next steps are to remove the wheel and hub, open it, and check the continuity of the feed wires and confirm the coils are burnt out and shorted or not?

The wheel is not spoked but a cast alloy job so replacing wont be easy.. Hmmm

any advise or direction welcome, its a 250w or perhaps 350w motor? No visible etchings or markings on the motor casing i have seen.

snipping the burnt on sleeve on the blue and yellow wires to reveal the wire/connector i tested the resistance between blue/yellow, green/yellow, and blue/green.
all zero'd out 200k range iirc
Did you try the lowest range? The resistance shouldn't be zero, but it's usually less than 1 ohm.

Did you try the lowest range? The resistance shouldn't be zero, but it's usually less than 1 ohm.
Cheers, Yes i did reset and then get consistent 0.6 ohm readings for each wire pair, while i know nothing i expected a significantly higher resistance, i dont know why..
However I later tested spinning the wheel and reading any voltages generated via the same wire pairs i tested for resistance,
again set to the most granular resolution 2V the occasional peak of 0.1v was generated with a constantly spinning wheel circa 8mph?
and water has been in the motor as rust on the internal side of the cap bearing indicates.

P1010753.JPGP1010756.JPG
some magnets appear to be 'decomposing' at the edge or perhaps its mineral deposits from water ingress I cant seem to capture it in pictures clearly. and there are specs of rust on ferrous elements

behind the freewheel i found PY36v26"250w22062095..
so 36v, 26" wheel, 250w power rating, June 2022 production date? 2095? and PY? i dunno..

I will next check and validate the flex soldered into and exiting the wheel, prima facia it looks like it may have twisted but less so on closer look and the frame and lock lugs are all clean with no sign of stress damage,, but thats a bench and bright lamp job..

has your meter got a rel button?,if so short your probes and press rel,that zeros out the probe lead resistance ,then measure againe.
sorry for the silence, life.. As it turns out the motor runs fine, and ive moved on to bigger problems.... Understanding the kt controller manual :( Thank you for your suggestion however and i now know about the rel button on my meter, Cheers.

Back