Motor Selection

mystamo

10 mW
Hey guys,

Quick question.

I've always used 9c Motors. I bought one of those clearance units from Justin way back in the day for $120 and am still using it constantly while giving it 120v at about 25 amps.

Now on to my question. I want to move on to crystalite so I can put more power into the motor. But I can't seem to figure out the sizing of these motors.

Is the H series the biggest? 3000 series? 4000 series? or the 5400 series? whats the biggest motor they have to sell that can fit on a 26" down hill bike.

Mo

540X was the biggest they sold for a bicycle. But it's not sold to the general public. They arte the stock motors on the Stealth, and a few of us managed to get Clyte to sell a few units to us in a group buy, but the only way to get one now is to grab one of those from someone who's reselling it.

The 530X series was smaller, and is now discontinued. But it is possibly the largest Bicycle motor ever sold to the general public. They can still be found used.

The HS and HT35XX motors are the current Big Clytes. they are smaller and lighter than the old 530x series, and built much like the 9C, but are bigger and stronger.

There's also a HS and HT 25XX series, but they are lighter and less powerfull than the 9C but not much smaller. Sort of a waste IMHO.

Then the 40x series, which is discontinued as well, but still available new from some places like Clyte Europe. Its heavier than a 9C, and will take more abuse. Its as fast as a 9c, but doesn't have nearly as much torque. Its smaller and much quieter than the 9c. Still, the 9C is a better motor.

There are a couple of smaller motors too. the 20X, and the G series. Not worth mentioning.

Now to make it more confusing, there are a few vendors out there who rename Clyte motors, and call the 35xx series by new names. Like Phoenix, or 4825, or 7240. they are all just renamed versions of the original.

Playing around on the Ebike.ca simulator, the HS3540 gives about the same performance as 9C 2807, it can just withstand higher loads longer before burning out.

Drunkskunk said:
540X was the biggest they sold for a bicycle. But it's not sold to the general public. They arte the stock motors on the Stealth, and a few of us managed to get Clyte to sell a few units to us in a group buy, but the only way to get one now is to grab one of those from someone who's reselling it.

The 530X series was smaller, and is now discontinued. But it is possibly the largest Bicycle motor ever sold to the general public. They can still be found used.

The HS and HT35XX motors are the current Big Clytes. they are smaller and lighter than the old 530x series, and built much like the 9C, but are bigger and stronger.

There's also a HS and HT 25XX series, but they are lighter and less powerfull than the 9C but not much smaller. Sort of a waste IMHO.

Then the 40x series, which is discontinued as well, but still available new from some places like Clyte Europe. Its heavier than a 9C, and will take more abuse. Its as fast as a 9c, but doesn't have nearly as much torque. Its smaller and much quieter than the 9c. Still, the 9C is a better motor.

There are a couple of smaller motors too. the 20X, and the G series. Not worth mentioning.

Now to make it more confusing, there are a few vendors out there who rename Clyte motors, and call the 35xx series by new names. Like Phoenix, or 4825, or 7240. they are all just renamed versions of the original.

Playing around on the Ebike.ca simulator, the HS3540 gives about the same performance as 9C 2807, it can just withstand higher loads longer before burning out.

Wow... good breakdown

Interesting. I'd been assuming the HS was a similar speed to the 2806 9c. I keep recomending the HT for a 26" wheel because of that.

I'll still recomend the HT for steep hills, or stop and go riding.

It's nice to see this post as I'm about to make another motor purchase :)

I've been playing around with the simulator between the HS and HT on a 10% grade with both motors in 26" rims.

40% throttle on the HS on a 10% grade is around 56kph
60% throttle on the HT on a 10% grade is around 56kph

and burn time is the same. I'm sure that while on the hill and you must accelerate, the HT would take the cake. And if going down hill, the HS would pull away.
Some people are setting the throttle percent the same, but the same throttle percent yields different speeds and therefore skews the results for burn out time.

Just making sure to mention it when trying to compare. :)

I'll be running 130 to 150v, so the HT would seem to be what I'd like to try next, although the HS with the correct throttle use might just work for me as well :wink:

Tommy L sends.... \\m//

Yeah Wow! really great break down. Thanks guys..

Has anyone ever heard of HS4065 motors?

Also if I could do a group buy of 5403's even tho I don't have much reputation here... I could prepay and show the goods in pictures if I knew there were interest.

WOULD YOU GUYS BE INTERESTED?

I think I have a source in China that can get me 10-5403's

Mo

I'm sure you could sell some 5403's eventually. Possibly immediately, but there is now another option in the cromotor. But eventually they'd sell to somebody since nobody else could suppy anybody with one.

Whether they'd sell good at a mark up you like, that's another story. It's a tough market and a tough buisness, so use money you can afford to park awhile.

Hi,
Crystalite have HS4065 and HS 4080, to purpose me , do you know it ? it's in 135.

Crystalite Europe telling me that the HT3525 is best option for 72V than the 5304 they said same power same torque but 5kg less for the HT3525...

I'm a bit lost in the crytalite numbers...HS4065 and HS 4080 are new ones ?

regards

Back