Moving servers today

neptronix said:
That's why systems like phpbb and xenforo are designed to put limits in at the stage of uploading.
Which can be inconvenient to the user.

That's why i put ~100 hours into writing a platform agnostic, after-the-fact image processor just for our form.

But if a picture is 1000 words then 36 pictures is a novel. See if you can tell the story with less words. :)

I'm not convinced that such per post limits are effective... it is easy to circumvent by just posting another reply to a thread with additional images. It can be annoying if someone wanted to post a new complete build thread of their project rather than a thread added to over days or weeks.

My biggest annoyance with ES is that some threads are pages and pages of comments in between the original posters build posts.

TorontoBuilder said:
I'm not convinced that such per post limits are effective... it is easy to circumvent by just posting another reply to a thread with additional images. It can be annoying if someone wanted to post a new complete build thread of their project rather than a thread added to over days or weeks.

They're not effective at all. Many ideas like this were implemented in a desperate move to control server resources back then. Consider that we exist on a platform designed 20 years ago for a completely different internet.
Also, some of this old thinking has made it's way into Xenforo.

We have to come up with our own way to handle it.

TorontoBuilder said:
My biggest annoyance with ES is that some threads are pages and pages of comments in between the original posters build posts.

Same here :lol:

Xenforo does allow us to have custom post formats to some degree, so there may be some room to make a custom post format for build threads. It already has the ability to do question/answer type threads for the troubleshooting section.

Back