My electrified BMX

Hi all,

Just thought I'd join the forum and share my first build. My friend El_Steak introduced me to the concept last fall, I was instantly hooked.

I decided to electrify my Haro F4 bmx with a front NC2805, 52V LiFe 15Ah Ping Battery, 35A Infineon Controller. The end result is pretty sweet I figure. The bike has amazing torque with the 20'' wheels, quickly reached speeds over 50 kph, and handles exceptionally well given that it's a bmx.

Lots of work was involved though:

1)had to change the fork - original had 14 mm dropouts - no good as the NC2805 is mounted on a 10 mm axle;
2)order thin inside washers from Jason at ebikekit (such an awesome guy, he sent them free of charge and I did not even buy my kit from him!);
3)Install a sturdy rack - had to drill holes in the frame as BMXs are not designed for racks;
4)Secure the Battery - not an easy task;
5)Redo the phase/hall connectors as the factory connections were really not optimal
6)Even changed the throttle connector from the controller, this one too had a tendancy to disconnect;
7)Several upgrades followed - tires, brake pads, several parts on the bike.

I have to warmly thank my buddy El_Steak for this - I could not have done this without him.

Attachments

• eBMX1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 565
  • eBMX2.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 279
What a compact rocket! Nice clean install..

Its a very optimal setup. 50kph top speed thanks to the 2805, great acceleration and handling thanks to the 20" wheels and all that with a stock 48 volts controller and Ping battery.

Of course I can smoke Crimson Head with my 100V 100A bike :mrgreen: , but it costed me a lot more to get there...

And he's a lot more hardcore than me, he rides in the cold, in the rain and even through an hail storm the other day!

nice!

i like it. bmx's are a nice frame to build on, i have an e-bmx myself...lol. but i cant help but notice that most of the bmx's on this site are hub motors(im the oddball with a chain drive, and brushed one). very nice and clean setup. it looks like tons of fun too!

welcome to the site!

Thanks for the kind words guys,

def215, kudos to your project, seems like an awful lot of work!

I can attest of El_Steak smoking me silly, we rode to work together once - we were doing roughly 52 kph. I remember him pulling right next to me, then just launching his beast to only God knows how fast. I can still remember the roar of his bike during the acceleration!

Welcome to ES and the e-bmx clan !! being low to the ground gives it a fast feeling and they fit anywhere with easy ( office doorways etc.. ) !

I sold mine last year but am looking forward to building another one!

Search for " Arlo1 " on this forum.. he's got a 100v lipo powered X5 BMX that kicks butt ! :wink:

Wow, I'm really proud of getting the 'clean build' compliment for my first e-bike, thank you all.

I do enjoy riding it a lot. Commuting to work has never been so easy - no traffic, no parking, no fuel, no hassle related to public transit, no sweating/showering/changing/being stuck with a wet towel at work... This is a revolution.

Later riders!

Hi again all,

I decided to change the frame - I kept all the parts from my previous bike, and improved the wiring a bit. I find the end result is much better looking than my previous brownish frame. I also had to change the back rack, as the old one cracked in all but one joints due to vibrations.

Also changed to Maxxis Hookworms tires, I just ripped through my Revenge Industries...

Attachments

• vélo.jpg
    vélo.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 2,696
  • vélo2.jpg
    vélo2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 2,696
I want to do something with my 1606 I think a bmx would be good for this. I would like to see aradial lace it into a smaller wheel. a 16 or 20inch. an do a no chain build. where its solely a moped/scooter with no pedals. I had some quality issues with mine but i think it would scream on a bmx. Its a high wound motor and the large diameter makes it a torque monster. I think its perfectly match for a smaller wheel than using it on a 26inch.

Nice ride dude, clean, low profile, all the ammenities.... Just paint that hub black and you'll be good! :twisted:

Haha thanks Ypedle
Yeh i love mine 85km/h top speed power wheelies at 60 and I am getting better at riding it lol I now do small wheelies to make the pivot between me and my bike a type of suspension. And the corrners man I rip like a crotch rocket and its so fun! http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9966

But yeh congrats on the build and have fun NOT getting raped by big oil!

Thanks guys,

Arlo1, I have to admit I am in total awe before your bmx. What a monster! You are the God of e-bmx in my opinion.

I'm thinking about a second build now - going with a rear motor, and more volts and amps. Problem is I am a bit uncomfortable with LiPo packs (I read they are tricky, - may burst in flames if not properly charged/discharged, and have poor shelf life). And if I stick to LiFePO4 it would be impossible to have this kind of power without having a huge and ridiculously heavy battery.

I have to think this through - any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks and don't be afraid of lipo just take good care of them I think you get ~1000 cycles out of them and if you calculate it thats an easy 4+ years! At once a day avarage! I have done everything you are not suposed to and I have not caught fire.
They will not burn up un less you charge any one cell to hi. Just get some cell motiters that beep and or something better to stop you from over charging them and something to ballance them. I sugest you read the lipo thread!

[youtube]KCUGjwviiJE[/youtube] :mrgreen:

Back