My Motoped

the motoped headtube is 1.5" mtb standard for up to 1.5" OD steerer..
(or should be.. did you use calipers??)
this allows use of 1&1/8, 1&1/4, 1&1/5, and tapered steerer forks..
to use 1&1/8; 1.125" steerer forks you need a reducer type headset..
check w pirate cycles.. : http://www.piratecycles1.com/headset.html

kfong said:
My upgraded front forks came in, I didn't know they were Marzocchi 888. Pleasant surprise. It was packed only in the factory box. Needed better padding since it blew though the box. The front face of the fork was banged up. Some paint chips resulted. The rest looks good, and the all important shock surface is intact. I'll post pics soon. Still waiting for the rear shock and rear hub from Motoped.

The steer tube is the standard 1 1/8", but measuring the Motoped ID, it's 1.9" roughly. This isn't a standard I'm familiar with. I was expecting to see 1 1/2"

From the kickstarter site,
"Frame The frame is hand tig welded out of certified chro-moly tubing. Head tube size is 1 1/2" mountain bike. All tank/seat/ body mounts are Honda crf50 style pitbike. Shock mount is 7/8" wide with 8mm(5/16") hole. Frame is powder coated metallic grey."

Not sure if they sent me the wrong headtube size?

I used a caliper, but I'm thinking the 1 1/2" is the final steer tube diameter and the extra accounts for the bearings. Will need to pick up an adapter. Currently searching for good 8" brakes.

This is just great. I think it is a better way to go than reviving an older moped.

Its funny-going thru cycles on CL tonight i came across this and thought about this thread>>

Jawa moped (600 x 397).jpg

In the old days I might have seriously considered jumping at that for $300, but now?

I I don't know about the frame, but it is set up for gas and maybe could have a larger (4 stroke) engine as mentioned above substituted.

But virtually everything else would have to be upgraded for around the same money and it still would be no match for your Motoped!

:D

Unfortunately this Motoped won't be cheap. I've already estimated it's going to be more than $2K. It's the price you pay for getting performance parts. I'm actually surprised at the high end front suspension I got for the price. To me this is a good value.

Good 8" brakes and rotors are going to be another high cost item. Wheel sets, and misc. parts are going to add up fast. In the end I will have a super light motocross/MC that I can put on my bike rack and have a lot of fun with trail riding. Not your fathers moped!

Yeah, definitely not a moped. Mix between an overpriced pit bike or an under priced motocross. If it can perform as good as I hope in the trails, it will be well worth the price I spend on it.

Picked up the motor. 125cc for $339 almost went for the one with the dress up kit for $400, but felt it wasn't much different. It's 4up, not ideal but that seems to be the only choices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEMI-AUTOMATIC-LIFAN-125CC-Motor-Engine-XR50-CRF50-CT-Z-70-110-125S-I-SETS-/371014945545?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item566236cb09&vxp=mtr

Does it have a vin and come with a title? If so, then it would be a great option instead of ressurecting an old moped like I am. (see sig)

No paperwork, other than part list. I won't be speeding if possible.

Ordered this for the headset, hopefully this works out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261267879157?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Seat, fuel tank and fairings ordered as well. Was going to go with a bicycle seat and fabricate the mounts, but this would be more comfortable. The motocross seat I noticed is actually small and has a low profile while sitting on it.

Currently looking into handle bars, brakes, throttle and stem.

veloman said:
Does it have a vin and come with a title? If so, then it would be a great option instead of ressurecting an old moped like I am. (see sig)

If Michigan is like Oregon be sure to keep your receipts handy. Oregon is very tolerant of 'Frankenstein' vehicles made from various sources- as long as you can produce legit documentation of where the parts came from. My DMV's concern is #1 that the vehicle conform to regulations and #2 that it's not a chop shop special made out of stolen parts. The Motoped is going to attract attention from the police because it looks like a dirt bike and it's just cool. A lot of cops will pull you over just to check out a ride that interests them.

motor and headset choices look good..
let us know how they work out for you..
at least with the 4up trans neutral will be easy to find (at the bottom)
the 1dwn 3ups could be hard to find neutral (between 1 & 2)..

you can use the serial number on the motor for vehicle registration (in many states)..
there is no serial number, MCO or title etc that comes with the current motoped frames..
i think motopeds is working on this once they are selling complete bikes w motors..

Finally got around to posting pics of the front fork. As you can see the box it came in was damaged, poor packing by the OEM. The Marzocchi 888 Cr were scuffed up on the front but the rest was fine. I'll just retouch it with some black paint or marker. These are really nice shocks, similar to the ones on my Versus. This and the rear shock really made the Motoped worth getting for me.

Attachments

• Box damage.jpg
    Box damage.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 2,980
  • M888.jpg
    M888.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,106
  • M888 h.jpg
    M888 h.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,106
  • Scuffed up.jpg
    Scuffed up.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,106
Cool, received the rear hub unit and bicycle chain tensioner from Motoped. Quality is excellent. The last item I need from them is the rear shock. I will need to order rims and spokes, thinking of going moped tires for the rear wheel.

Parts that arrived
Plastic fairings
Throttle
Headset, these look good as well.

Big block CNG motor, this motor was planned for the Versus. I'm now thinking it suits the Motoped more.

kfong said:
Big block CNG motor, this motor was planned for the Versus. I'm now thinking it suits the Motoped more.

:D Let me know if I can help!

Will do, but it will be a winter or fall project. For now I just want to get it up and running as fast as possible, gas engine should be arriving any day. Mike are you selling the standard GNG motor, that would keep the Versus light, are people getting decent performance on them. I need to revisit that thread. Big block just seems overkill now that I have it in my hands, but perfect for the Motoped. I was first envisioning the Versus as my light MC, but the Motoped really is designed to fill this role. Adding more weight to the Versus would really effect the bikes handling. The max speed I want for that bike is 35mph, I'm sure the standard motor can get me there overvolted. Would go RC motor to keep it light, but noise is really an issue, if I plan to sneak it in the parks.

Gas engine came today, wasn't expecting such a big and heavy motor. Well packaged, double boxed with styrofoam. Seat as well. The seat tangs were short, I will need to secure them somehow. Rest of it seems fine, won't really know until the gas tank comes in, since it uses part of the faring and tank for additional mounting support. Will get pics posted shortly.

I think I will repaint the frame black.

kfong said:
Gas engine came today, wasn't expecting such a big and heavy motor.

cr80.jpeg.jpg

:mrgreen:

Original Honda motor :mrgreen:

What's funny was how I was thinking earlier how big and heavy the big block GNG motor was, the main reason to move it over to the Motoped. This gas motor is a monster in comparison. I'll get pics of them side by side.

Crap, thought I had ordered the gas tank. Looks like I forgot to follow through. Will be busy next week, so that's going to slow things with the build.

Just weighed the gas motor on a cheap bathroom scale. 44.5 lbs. Yikes
Big block GNG motor 10.5lbs, slightly heavier than my BMC which I recall weighing in at 9lbs
Magic pie 3 16" was 17.5 lbs while I was at it. That puts things in better perspective. Maybe the big block is a good choice for the Versus as well. I know weight really isn't an indicator for performance, but it's still useful knowing how much weight I'm throwing about. That does have an impact on handling to me. Good thing the mp3 isn't going on a bike, all that rear weight would suck.

Hi,

kfong said:
I can easily see myself going 100+ miles... Charging just isn't practical and the wait would be a hassle...

Gas engine I'm looking at is under $400.
I think 20 Nissan Leaf battery modules would do about 100 miles. The maximum that would cost you is $109 per module, plus shipping from Nevada. I think if you spend the time you will spend shopping for ICE parts, shopping for Leaf battery modules you can find them for $80-$90 each, shipped. I'd consider building two half packs, and mount one on the bike, and carry one in panniers.

Hi,
Kent said:
[
In the old days I might have seriously considered jumping at that [Jawa Moped] for $300, but now?

I I don't know about the frame, but it is set up for gas and maybe could have a larger (4 stroke) engine as mentioned above substituted.

But virtually everything else would have to be upgraded for around the same money and it still would be no match for your Motoped!
I think you could find an Aprilia RS50 for about $1k:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aprilia_RS50
The RS50 is a sport moped, GP derived replica sport production motorcycle made by Aprilia.... In restricted form the RS50 is capable of speeds of 50 km/h (30 mph),[citation needed] in derestricted form the motorcycle is capable of speed up to 105 km/h (65 mph)
http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/aprilia/2013-aprilia-rs-50-ar137736.html
This small sport bike was especially developed for those who are starting to learn the secrets of motorcycles. Unlike other bikes of its type the Aprilia RS 50 offers premium features in a relatively compact package. Needless to say that it was also built with comfort in mind so once on board, you are met by an ergonomically designed seat, a nonintrusive fuel tank and a sporty handlebar combined with a modern instrument display...

As far as brakes are concerned the Aprilia RS 50 is equipped with a 300 mm front disc grabbed by a radial caliper while out back there is a 180 mm stainless steel disc paired with a powerful two piston caliper...

You might think that you can only find lightweight wheels, radial calipers, an aluminium frame and swingarm, and an under-seat exhaust on a big bike. But you would be wrong. Because these are the specifications of the Aprilia RS 50, the undisputed top dog in the world of 50 cc supersport motorcycles. The Aprilia RS 50 is a genuine sports motorcycle, and comes packed with the sort of technology normally found only on a GP racer...

Weight, 89.5 kg (197 lb) (dry)
Heavier than a Motoped, but in every other performance metric the Motoped would be "no match" (IMO) for the Aprilia.

"Luke said:
Aprilia RS50.
49.7cc engine make it a scooter/moped vehicle rather than a motorcycle. it's legally considered to be a scooter/moped, so you don't need to be licensed or anything.

Under 200 lbs.
Unlimited braking.
Incredible handling.

It will make 10-14hp continously for hours cruising down the freeway. The bike will last 10's of thousands of miles with nothing but a a new ring/piston/sleeve kit every 5,000 miles or so.

They are pretty damn cheap if you can find one! I've seen them go as low as $1,000 here in the Seattle area. I just browsed for 2 mins to find a few on craigslist in the 1,500-2,500 area.

Mitch, I think your missing the point of finding gas easily vs. wasting time charging. It's very rural up north. Locally, converting it to electric is planned. Just switch to gas for the weekend trips. Two bolts makes it easy to switch out if I plan it well.

MitchJi said:
Hi,

kfong said:
I can easily see myself going 100+ miles... Charging just isn't practical and the wait would be a hassle...

Gas engine I'm looking at is under $400.
I think 20 Nissan Leaf battery modules would do about 100 miles. The maximum that would cost you is $109 per module, plus shipping from Nevada. I think if you spend the time you will spend shopping for ICE parts, shopping for Leaf battery modules you can find them for $80-$90 each, shipped. I'd consider building two half packs, and mount one on the bike, and carry one in panniers.

Mitch, I wouldn't be going down this path if I didn't think the Motoped had the performance potential. With 125cc, and high end DH parts, I'm willing to bet it performs better than the Aprilia, off road at least. The power to weight ratio is going to be really good. Suspension travel at 8 inches, breaking will be my only concern. I am going with 8" rotors, and not skimping on quality. Should stop pretty good. Geometry is the only thing that can mess up this equation, hoping Motoped did some research in this arena. Motoped is better suited to off road, but that's what I want it for. Aprilia looks too much of a road bike for me to be excited about, would suck as a trail riding platform. Not to mention the noise and smell of a two stoke.

I use to own a sport bike, have no desire to share the road with cars.

MitchJi said:
Hi,
Kent said:
[
In the old days I might have seriously considered jumping at that [Jawa Moped] for $300, but now?

I think you could find an Aprilia RS50 for about $1k:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aprilia_RS50
The RS50 is a sport moped, GP derived replica sport production motorcycle made by Aprilia.... In restricted form the RS50 is capable of speeds of 50 km/h (30 mph),[citation needed] in derestricted form the motorcycle is capable of speed up to 105 km/h (65 mph)
http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/aprilia/2013-aprilia-rs-50-ar137736.html
This small sport bike was especially developed for those who are starting to learn the secrets of motorcycles. Unlike other bikes of its type the Aprilia RS 50 offers premium features in a relatively compact package. Needless to say that it was also built with comfort in mind so once on board, you are met by an ergonomically designed seat, a nonintrusive fuel tank and a sporty handlebar combined with a modern instrument display...

As far as brakes are concerned the Aprilia RS 50 is equipped with a 300 mm front disc grabbed by a radial caliper while out back there is a 180 mm stainless steel disc paired with a powerful two piston caliper...

You might think that you can only find lightweight wheels, radial calipers, an aluminium frame and swingarm, and an under-seat exhaust on a big bike. But you would be wrong. Because these are the specifications of the Aprilia RS 50, the undisputed top dog in the world of 50 cc supersport motorcycles. The Aprilia RS 50 is a genuine sports motorcycle, and comes packed with the sort of technology normally found only on a GP racer...

Weight, 89.5 kg (197 lb) (dry)
Heavier than a Motoped, but in every other performance metric the Motoped would be "no match" (IMO) for the Aprilia.

"Luke said:
Aprilia RS50.
49.7cc engine make it a scooter/moped vehicle rather than a motorcycle. it's legally considered to be a scooter/moped, so you don't need to be licensed or anything.

Under 200 lbs.
Unlimited braking.
Incredible handling.

It will make 10-14hp continously for hours cruising down the freeway. The bike will last 10's of thousands of miles with nothing but a a new ring/piston/sleeve kit every 5,000 miles or so.

They are pretty damn cheap if you can find one! I've seen them go as low as $1,000 here in the Seattle area. I just browsed for 2 mins to find a few on craigslist in the 1,500-2,500 area.

The motor came well packaged.
View attachment 9
Double boxed.jpg
Styrofoam padding.jpg
View attachment 4

Parts that came with the engine and carburetor not shown
engine parts.jpg.

side by side comparison of big block GNG motor and 125CC
View attachment 5

The Motoped would make a good conversion to electric. It's easy to line up the motor.
View attachment 3
motor alignment 2.jpg

The rear hub can easily take a larger gear.
rear gear.jpg
jackshaft.jpg

The fact that you can easily put a larger rear sprocket would solve any gearing issues. It might not be the best setup for pedaling, but the speeds planned the pedals are only cosmetic this point.

kfong said:
Mitch, I think your missing the point of finding gas easily vs. wasting time charging. It's very rural up north. Locally, converting it to electric is planned. Just switch to gas for the weekend trips. Two bolts makes it easy to switch out if I plan it we'll.
I don't think I'm missing the point. You posted that the reason you are building it with gas motor, is the price of batteries, for a range of about one hundred miles. I thought that maybe, didn't know how expensively you could buy batteries. I was just trying to provides some information.

Back