My1016 Lipo hedge trimmer/tree slayer

bionicdan

1 kW
Ok first off you will need to wear eye protection while viewing these pictures as I havnt finished the shroud yet lol. Had an old motor going spare and thought Id replace my shears with some creation.

Wow this thing goes better than I thought. It was meant for hedges but it goes through 1inch branches in 3 second and 2 inch branches in 10 seconds while barely slowing down. Would be better with a wood blade if your tree lopping but this brush cutter seems to be a great all purpose affair so far.

Imagine a band saw on a stick :)

Last edited:
Great job! I bet you've got one of the more powerful trimmers ever made now. :)

Can you show us the blade to motor shaft interface?

Great idea.. i did a similar one with a 9" circular saw blade adapted onto a weed whacker (strimmer) head for hacking througha big overgrown hedge.
But for tough or thicker woody stuff you cant beat a chainsaw /pole saw .
Keep an eye out for one of these with a busted motor head, and convert it to lipo power ! :mrgreen:
ptx27002.jpg

Take your 4-1/2 inch angle grinder.
44890_6130-33-lg.jpg

Remove the guard.
Take your 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw.
71pqOt41wDL._SX450_.jpg

Note that the circular saw blade fits perfectly on the grinder. STOP this is dangerous stupid. DO NOT plug it in.

All my life I have dreamed of a 4-1/2 inch wood carving blade for a angle grinder. Use it to carve totem poles and stuff like that. Find it and I will buy it.

you can buy them at harbor freight. it even looks dangerous in the plastic wrap at the store.

i use my diagonal grinder with the shield removed from the rear side so it is open all around the blade. i have put a few slots in the tips of my fingernails with it using the metal cutting blade which doesn't even have teeth.

i also have the chainsaw on a stick thingy too. i mounted a small 14" electric chainsaw to the end of a 12' long 1" diameter aluminum pole. i drilled some holes through the handle and through the tubing to bolt them together and used screw clamps to make it more secure. hard wired an extension cord past the on/off switch, and ran the extension cord down the pole and the cord is held place on the pole with tape so i can just plug it in to use for cutting branches and unplug when finished. i could reach way up into the tree, about 20' standing on a small ladder.

i also have the tree limb trimmer that uses the sawzall blades and has a fiberglas handle that extends by sliding out about 10' total. it is not as effective and slow.

thank god the tree died.

that is what Charlton Heston had on the ends of his chariot axles in Ben Hur.

the Texas chainsaw massacre could have been really quiet if he had use one of these with a battery powered diagonal grinder.

you gotta admit, that is an amputated finger or hand in the making. keep the cellphone nearby and the ambulance on speed dial. keep a bucket of ice next to you so there is a way to salvage the severed digit so it can be reattached.

i worked with a guy who had cut off two fingers in a table saw and they sewed one of them back on to the two stumps. stuff like that makes you serious around tools.

Fingers? Was working with a guy on a cold day. I asked him if he wanted some gloves with the fingers cut off like I had. He showed me his hand with the fingers cut off. I never noticed his hand before. He then went on to tell me the story. Paneling, circular saw, cut fingers off, rip curtain off the wall to wrap hand, his dog ate his fingers while he was waiting for the ambulance :(

Ouch.

This would be ideal for the zombie apocalypse! :twisted:

I saw an ad on TV last night for lithium battery garden tools by Victa a well know Aussie brand of mower.

http://www.victa.com/au/v-force/

You might have missed the boat for a patent. Still theirs probably less exciting (dangerous ) than yours. :lol:

My gf is back at uni so I cant hold a camera and trim without loosing a limb so here it is indoors. Instantaneous 3000+ rpm and slow wind down. It makes such a cool SHING noise as it lops through things. I think its the momentum that makes this go through big stuff.

[youtube]QDRjvkH7WEI[/youtube]

You could sell these as a zombie apocalypse defense weapon...they might be "the undead", but...once you cut off their arms and legs, you can rename them all to "Matt". Or...throw them in the water and call them "Bob"

spinningmagnets said:
You could sell these as a zombie apocalypse defense weapon...they might be "the undead", but...once you cut off their arms and legs, you can rename them all to "Matt". Or...throw them in the water and call them "Bob"

This crossed my mind as soon as I first turned it on lol.

Hillhater said:
Just be very careful that blade cannot come loose ( even as you "power off" ?).
If it gets away it will fly miles.

The blade spins away from you 90 percent of the time and iv made it spin so the nut self tightens plus added some threadlock. Shame its a reverse thread or I would add a nylocker.

So as long as someone else isnt looking down the barrel, if it ever came loose and somehow didnt notice, it should be ok. I live in a small cluster of 5 houses so know when everyone is out. God now I wanna see what it does if it does come off in a wide open field lol.

marty said:
bionicdan said:
God now I wanna see what it does if it does come off in a wide open field lol.
Frisbee

Im thinking vertical orientation, 0-60mph in 0.5 seconds = dead cow

The sawzall was my pruner of choice, until that damn cedar branch took out the ladder I was standing on. :shock:

The good news is I only got the wind knocked outta me. :oops:

teslanv said:
The sawzall was my pruner of choice, until that damn cedar branch took out the ladder I was standing on. :shock:

The good news is I only got the wind knocked outta me. :oops:

Doh, I always tie a small piece of rope either side of my cut when im 30 feet off the ground hacking the top of a tree im leaning on ha ha.

it even looks dangerous in the plastic wrap at the store.

This had me crying with laughter.

Props to the OP for making this. I love how you stuck it on the end of a piece of wood too. I have always wanted to make one of these, and I would have done it just as slapdash (I would have used more zip ties and tape).

Id love to see the looks your neighbours give you ripping this thing out on a weekend..

Looks like you could even make a dual motor system here?

p.s.
this could be used on the walking dead

Back