Need advise on ebike purchase

byunbee

10 µW
I'm looking into buying an ebike with Bafang Ultra motor. I found a Chinese company on Alibaba and they sent me some specs. As I'm new to ebikes and bikes in general, I'm not sure whether the bike is using good components and such. Can someone look at the specs and share their thoughts on the quality with recommendation on what you would think is best for me?

I will likely ride 90% street and 10% trail, mostly for commute to work on paved bike path with occasional weekend excursions.

My top interests right now are:

Luna BABE $2963 (tax included w/ local pickup)
https://lunacycle.com/babe/
Luna Enduro X1 Standard Version ~$3987 (tax included w/ local pickup)
https://lunacycle.com/x1-enduro-ebike/
Frey AM1000 Base Spec ~$2990 includes shipping
  • Bafang Ultra 48V 1000W mid drive system with throttle;
  • 48V 17.4AH Samsung 29E cells powered big capacity battery ;
  • ROCKSHOX RECON 150mm air suspension fork;
  • ROCKSHOX MONARCH rear suspension;
  • TEKTRO HD E725 4-piston hydraulic brake with power cut function for ebike use;
  • SHIMANO ACERA 8 speed group set;
  • CST 27.5*3.0" mountain tire;
Frey AM1000 High-End Spec ~ $3700
  • 48V 21AH Samsung 35E cells powered big capacity battery;
  • ROCKSHOX YARI 160mm air suspension fork;
  • ROCKSHOX DELUXE RL rear suspension;
  • MAGURA MT5e 4-piston hydraulic brake with power cut function for ebike use;
  • SHIMANO XT M8000 11 speed group set;
  • MAXXIS 27.5*2.8" mountain tire.
Frey HT1000 ~$2690 includes shipping (hard tail with front suspension - basically an AM1000 without rear suspension)
  • 48V 21AH Samsung 35E cells powered big capacity battery;
  • GTMRK 120MM air suspension;
  • TEKTRO HD E725 4-piston hydraulic brake with power cut function for ebike use;
  • SHIMANO Deore M6000 10 speed group set;
  • MAXXIS 27.5*2.8" mountain tire;

Price is a factor, so Enduro X1 and Frey AM1000 High-End Spec are both a big stretch budget wise. But since this will be a one time purchase that I plan on using for years, I don't want to rule it out. I need something that will be reliable in the long-term,

I'm also wondering if Luna BABE can be configured with a fat road tire as well or is that a bad idea?

Thanks in advance!

To Be Honest, they will send you any specification you want and then some, if they can grab a sale from you. Then you wait the month or two or three months and open the package and its something completely different.

Buy from known sources on aliexpress and alibaba and ebay and you have a better chance of getting what you purchased.

If Frey is the company you are dealing with on alibaba then yes, they offer good components and fairly priced for what you get. I would look at the Frey CC for commuting and light off road use.

Luna X1 (more specifically the M600) can't be programmed by the user and comes with higher than 20 mph speed limit set by factory for Luna so is Class 3 and ONLY if you remove the throttle. You cannot make it Class 1 or 2 so can't ride trails or shared used paths legally where Class 3 is off limits. It's also not really a road bike so would say it's not the best choice for you. It's geared for trail riding so you'll need to swap out the chainring if you want to go faster than 25mph. It's also a noisier motor.

I'm not sure the BABE would make for a good commuter, particularly if you have steeper hills. Also has the M600 motor so all of the X1 legality issues apply. If you get a bike with one of the other Bafang motors you can program the throttle to cut out at 20 mph as well as the power output and maximum speed to comply with local regulations and minimize liability issues.

If you are considering the Frey HT1000, the Rize RX might be a good alternative that won't break the bank: https://rizebikes.com/products/rize-rx

Frey CC is beyond my budget and I don't like the design of the bike, although I'm sure it's a great bike. The price difference between the Frey AM1000 base spec and Rize RX is about $100. Which is the more durable and better bike?

I'm guessing durability will be about the same but would give the edge to Frey just because they have been around longer to learn from any mistakes. Benefit of the rize is no wait. I think the HT1000 has a better front fork and comes in more than 1 size if you are taller or shorter. With the HT1000 you could upgrade the fork, brakes, etc. I'm not sure how far out Frey is building but guessing at least a month for the bike to be built and then the time it takes for shipping.

I just ordered the AM1000 basic spec, with glossy black paint with with gold powder, Schwalbe Moto X road tires, gear sensor, extra charger, extra derailleur hanger, special USB cable for the Bafang controller software shipped via sea.  It should arrive late April/early May.

I was really tempted by the Luna Enduro X1 on sale for $3700 + tax + shipping = ~$4200. I couldn't justify the extra $1000 for someone like me. Even considering AM1000 from HT1000 was a real stretch purchase for me. I hope it lasts me a long time.

Back