new battery case idea no welding/soldering

whatever

100 kW
just came across a startup in brisbane, they've just recieved significant govt funding also, but the idea is cylinderical cell cases that make assembly and dissassembly quick and easy, its a very nice idea. It looks like the contacts are pressure based, heres a video might be of interest to some folks out there if it hasn't already been posted
vault battery cases

Nice, this is how it should be done, at least for lower power applications. Hopefully the enclosure doesn't cost more than the cells

Nope. It's a cell loader that drops the cells into a fixture in 1 minute. Reading the youtube description, I see ....

"Machines will do the welding work for companies that have the equipment, but Vaulta's design allows for quick, easy and safe in-house assembly, enabling the growth of micro factories in the battery industry."

Near the end of the vid’ they clearly state that it avoids the need to weld the cells and allows the pack to be disassembled easily.….but until the cost is known, i wont get too excited.
..Also, i note that video was posted in 2021 ??
Lots more on their web site..
this video shows the unique pack locking system and stated theat various cell sizes are catered for..

Last edited:
These?

The only products on Vaulta | Recyclable, high-performance batteries for any project that I saw were LiFePO4 prismatic cell based. Have I missing something?
They certainly do seem to mostly use LFP prismatic cells , for their preassembled products…
i guess they have recognised , like most other battery pack assemblers, that LFP prismatics are the current flavour and low cost option.
…but they do also offer that cylindrical cell “dry assembly” system as shown in the video

its not too hard to work out the details of how it works
a quick look at this video
how it works
at the 1 min 27sec mark shows him taking off the lid, the lid has horizontal prongs tapered, the board underneath has holes which the vertical columns go into, each column has a hole structure at its apex, its nice design. I might draw a pic of how it works.

Last edited:
its not too hard to work out the details of how it works
how it works
at the 1 min 27sec mark shows him taking off the lid, the lid has horizontal prongs tapered, the board underneath has holes which the vertical columns go into, each column has a hole structure at its apex, its nice design. I might draw a pic of how it works.
rough diagram of how it locks and puts pressure on cells
Top board has cut out shaped with tongue that is tapered slightly
Middle board has hole through which the vertical bottom prong goes through
bottom is the vertical prong
Its nice design

Attachments

• vaulta.jpg
    vaulta.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 12
how it works
Your link doesn't actually have a link in it, the URL you have there is just "http ://holes and loops 1min 27 mark"

(had to add a space after http so the moronic Xenforo doesn't try to make it into a URL even after i remove all formatting and specifically tell it NOT to do that, so you can see the actual words in your link)

whoops, too much work to go back and find the video, it is a nice design indeed

They look like a supplier for commercial organisations, telecoms and the like, not a kit supplier for e-bike diy battery enthusiasts.

So it looks like we only have Vruzend and NESE still. And it looks like Vruzend have had trouble with their V4 kit. The videos I have seen imply the orange kits tend to crack. But red, black and blue seem much better.

Last edited:
Or, if you want no weld no solder and can accommodate a rectangular case shape you can build one of my Barncat Batteries. I have 2 units in regular real-world ebike use for several thousand miles- zero failures. They've been subjected to a lot of vibration, bumps, and pavement irregularities, even some gravel and offroad.

They look like a supplier for commercial organisations, telecoms and the like, not a kit supplier for e-bike diy battery enthusiasts.

So it looks like we only have Vruzend and NESE still. And it looks like Vruzend have had trouble with their V4 kit. The videos I have seen imply the orange kits tend to crack. But red, black and blue seem much better.
I've tried both of these systems. Vruzend is great for stationary applications , but not good for high vibration, like bikes etc . The caps shatter after a year or so and lose integrity. The NESE modules are a whole 'nother ballgame. They're much more robust and can handle road and light off road bike applications. I've been running a 14s 5p under the seat of my wife's cargo bike that she rides mixed trails on for 3 years so far, and they're still in new condition. No cracking, no corrosion, and no loss of contact pressure. If you can fit these on your application, they're 100% a great alternative to welding .

Vruzend are awful. The build time is much longer, and you have to use loctite, which defeats the purpose of ease of maintenance. The fit on any sizeable pack is garbage, and you can't pound too hard because they break easily. Great idea, but poor execution.

Back