New Build(s) and nighttime test ride!

sl33py

10 kW
Wow - so stoked! Just got back from a quick'ish 25-30 min nighttime test ride on the latest setup.

So it's been a rocky and somewhat tumultuous journey so far... Much much love to the ES and everyone here who has helped me figure this stuff out. i've had a couple different setups so far (not too long) and figured i'd share the progression from ghetto (alpha) board to the current "beta 2.0" build.

First - the beginning of the rapidly emptying bank account...
It's always best to "borrow" the GF's board to build/test on... super bonus points! (it's mine, but she's permanently claimed it)

My/Her Alpha 1.0:
b43ZGwTp0yli67AEQtcKToq9qOoW5P9zygCmxFrl4mHe=w1278-h598-no

Vanguard 42 flex 1, single motor DIY 5065 200kv, VESC (so awesome!), 76mm flywheels, 12/32 ADS gears, 6s 8Ah, xt-90 anti-spark, Quantum Tx/Rx, Alien Drive motor Paris mount. Lots of 3m velcro, and the ever important "safety" painters tape!

I've disassembled and rebuilt it a couple times. Had a new/old deck i wanted to setup, so ended up with old and new both totally out of commission. Went to play volleyball last Friday and did the new deck w/ her motor and controller at the last minute, but had a blast. (great view of the city and nice smooth/flat trail along the water).

Beta 1.0 build:
20150717_235238.jpg

GBomb 28, Same 5065 Torque/DIY 200kv motor, VESC, 97mm flywheels, dual 4s 8Ah @8s, Enertion's new motor mount for Calibers, ??/36t gearing

My new build on Sunday night almost got finished in time, but lack of food in the house meant an interruption to go grab a bite w/ only hers finished.

GF deck beta 1.0:
20150721_002605.jpg

almost all the same - upgraded to 6354 200kv misc motor, 83mm flywheel clones, wiiceiver + kama. Did 4 mi on Sunday at Alki again (tried runkeeper gps app - meh)

So got home from work tonight and got the last couple things finished up. So of course had to go for a ride to test it out! Just zipped around the neighborhood and did one of the monster hills i couldn't get up previously (i'm pretty big guy 6'8" / 2m, 265lbs / 120kg). Tried new Strava GPS app (much much better) and did 4mi again:
Screenshot_2015-07-20-23-30-26-2.png

I've not tried any sort of speed run previously... but had to see what it'd do (helmet + wristguards). WAY faster than i expected!!
Screenshot_2015-07-20-23-29-59.png

So... The current build i'm going to leave alone and enjoy for a bit (maybe... ok probably not long) - beta 2.0:
20150720_215209.jpg

Loving the GBomb drop deck!! - Dual ADS motor mounts, dual Torque/DIY 5065 200kv motors, Dual VESC, 4s x 2 @8s 8Ah, enertion 36t wheel gear, 12t motor gears. 97mm flywheels (roll over small children awesomeness), Quantum Tx/Rx.

Watt Meter inline:
20150720_231850.jpg

1500w! also measured 48A peak, 3.8Ah consumed, etc. Cool info.

Great way to wind down after a long day - can't wait to roll it around Alki on Friday after volleyball! Not sure i'll get going faster than 20 or 25mph for a while...

Thanks for everyone who helped figure this stuff out! Vedder, Torque, Beetbocks, and countless others!

Loving the new dual motor setup. Had a great evening ride w/ my buddy Erik on his boosted dual+. Was great to compare them side by side and ride them back to back. Had my first "get off"... LOL. Was minor, just starting out and only going a couple MPH, but my quantum throttle adjustment was bumped/off and it braked heavily when i let up on the throttle. Unexpectedly. So got to take a quick slowspeed tumble and laugh at myself.

5 miles along the water - AWESOME!
Screenshot_2015-07-22-22-38-49.png
Screenshot_2015-07-22-22-39-18.png

20150722_201530.jpg

Great evening and view back at the city:
20150722_203028.jpg

Loved riding with my buddy. Cool to have two eboards so you aren't waiting for the other guy to catch up!

One issue w/ my motor mount rotating is annoying. ADS needs to include a set screw with their Paris mounts to keep this from happening. I had it tightened down and it should not rotate... but it did. I might have to drill and tap them myself.

Can still dial in the quantum as it got a bit twitchy and the sudden brake when letting off the throttle was a surprise - i need to mark a set point and some way to keep it from accidentally adjusting again. Good lesson and happy i learned it as i started - before getting really going!

As for comparing mine w/ the boosted dual+ ... My biased opinion is that mine is definitely faster (he was at level 3 so might have some more oomph in reserve). Mine's not quite as smooth even with the awesome VESC, his sensored boosted is butter smooth from stop and a bit more refined throttle feel. My much bigger wheels were awesome over bumps, but do love the In Heats on his as well.

Good times!
20150722_203119.jpg

motor mounts will always rotate even when you tight them as hard as you can. one of the reasons is because of the anodized finish of the mount, or the trucks, or just because it will happen alu to alu.

Only way to make sure it does not happen anymore is to put the mounts and epoxy around by filling all the blanks from mount to truck. Since I expoxied them, I am now ultra fine.

check this:

http://fun.gamani.org/how-to-avoid-alignment-issues-of-your-drive-mount/

One last comparison w/ the boosted dual+:
20150722_214824.jpg

His battery was shot after 5 miles (last light blinking on remote). I have a ways to go yet... I'll get out soon again and run it till it alarms!

Question for the ES gurus... What do you set your alarm voltage at? I think i'm set at 3.4v per cell currently. With 8Ah it's not been an issue yet... but want to set it up right for later.

Thx!

okp said:
motor mounts will always rotate even when you tight them as hard as you can. one of the reasons is because of the anodized finish of the mount, or the trucks, or just because it will happen alu to alu.

Only way to make sure it does not happen anymore is to put the mounts and epoxy around by filling all the blanks from mount to truck. Since I expoxied them, I am now ultra fine.

check this:

Thanks Cedric! I have some epoxy i can try if still an issue after adding a set screw. I likely will switch up my setup again at some point, so i'm hesitant to "commit" w/ epoxy unless unavoidable.

Love your blog and info there! Great posts here as well of course, but lots of tips and nicely put together site.

Was tempted to pull the clamp off and rough up the axle to give it more grip.

The watt meter measured 1920w and 64.6A! Cool geeky goodness.

Why don't you guys try and cut a bit of heatshrink off and put it around the truck and clamp down then. Maybe it gives a better grippy area to clamp down on?

As for voltage, I only set the cut off on my board and usually just notice when my packs are low from when my board literally has no more power and is at a crawl and/or I swap packs sooner. I like to cut off at about 3.7 if not a bit lower. I only go down to 3.2/3.5v when I really need too.

I find since staying within a 4.2v range to 1.7v range my packs seem to last much longer than if I try and bring it down to 3.2v-3.4v.

Thanks Torque! That's a good idea. I'll throw a bit of heatshrink tube on them tonight and then re-tighten them down. I need to clean up a couple wires that are too long and will fiddle w/ this.

I'm going to adjust to 3.6 and see how it does. The "fuel gauge" on that HK tester is cool, but not sure what equals 0%? 3.4, 3.5? or something that would basically equal damaging the pack?

how performed the Vanguard 42 ? Loaded says it is not designed for high speeds... I am actually working on a new build and I just like this board ! If it's too flexy (even in Flex 1), I will put a carbon fiber top sheet expoxied :D

okp said:

check this:

Which is why I adjusted the cutout size of my motor mounts and powder coated them instead. Rock solid.

okp said:
how performed the Vanguard 42 ? Loaded says it is not designed for high speeds... I am actually working on a new build and I just like this board ! If it's too flexy (even in Flex 1), I will put a carbon fiber top sheet expoxied :D

Hey OKP! I haven't really tested the top speed of the Vanguard 42. The 30mph i hit was on the GBomb drop deck (Super stable). I'll try a run this week on the v42 and let you know top speed and how it feels. I usually run the venom SHR for my heavier weight, but the v42 has the hard Khiros purples on it.

What equals fast for you? I'm not a fast kinda guy - usually just cruising and relaxing, but i'll try if it's helpful (with protective gear - knee/elbow + helmet).

GF's board - some updates and refinements. Got tired of the "safety" painters tape. Pulled off the old velcro and put down new with velcro straps underneath so additional security for the batteries. If they were to come off, the strap would keep them from falling.

20150802_210115.jpg

new dual 3s in series for 6s (lower profile)

20150802_210248.jpg

re-did the wiiceiver. Vibrations and possible interference issues last ride w/ it. So removed the plastic casing on the USB dongle and heatshrinked it flat(ish). Less weight for bumps/vibration to knock it loose, and heatshrink on the USB to hold it in place firmly.

20150802_210225.jpg

techflex sleeved the motor wires!

20150802_210037.jpg

current state of it. Added a small plastic cord keeper in the middle to keep wires from sagging (really tired of the tape!). Wrapped on time around the side gave me perfect tension on the power wires to VESC.

Will be taking it for a spin soon to test top speed for OKP. (might try some 2x4s=8s pack for any speed run)

Took both for a ride tonight on Alki after work. Shakedown on her new setup and it worked great. didn't get a chance to test top speed on hers, but did get to re-confirm top speed for mine w/ a nice flat/smooth section - 23.9mph! My 30mph speed run must've been a slight downhill... At least it confirms my calculator is correct since i built it with 25mph max in mind (geared lower for my weight).

I really wanted to see what distance i could get on the 8s 8000mAh - stopped at 3.7v:
Screenshot_2015-08-04-00-06-50.png
Screenshot_2015-08-04-00-07-19.png

20150803_215742.jpg

Watt Meter showed 1932w, 65A, 8.2Ah

9.6 miles - VERY happy with the distance. Was not taking it easy and lots of stop/starts and heavy acceleration.

Great way to wind down after a crappy long day!

Jen's board is usually my guinea pig. As a result i tried to update the FW from original 1.02 to 1.10 to match the new ones i got from Jamesonotc. Using the BLDC tool ported for windows. Downloaded the 1.10 bin file - started the update fine from the Windows BLDC... to about 96% iirc. Stuck. Gave it about 15 min (too short?) and figured the tool lost connection to the newer firmware on the VESC. Disconnected, loaded the 1.10 Windows BLDC - no dice. Dead board. Crap.

My original linux install was FUBAR and having odd issues (right click stopped working). OLD laptop... So reloaded tonight on a slightly less old laptop and VOILA back in business! Got the STM32 discovery board to install without errors this time, and just copy/paste monkeyed my way through it! FW 1.12 loaded and on 6s tested and running like a champ again. I will test 12s tomorrow after work if i can just to confirm it will work (as my backup - she's happy with about 4s and doesn't go much faster than my walking speed).

Super happy and will post up another update when i re-clean up the cables. Tough to be the beta board...
20150915_000419.jpg

Now i just need to get my new SK3 149kv finished and we can ride again while i finish the slow e-Omen build! The e-Sugar is going to be a FUN kicktail to ride!! Will be our guest board because it's always good to have a spare for friends!

Back