New Dealers

Aw, man, I don't have any good creds for getting a kit. All I've done is built a couple ebikes, mod some things, and rewire a motor a few times. :? I also post here too much...

Don't hate, Turoc. :D

And FWIW go with 12AWG, not 14. I have been able to mess with various wire sizes, and figure that 14AWG is good to 20A max, 12AWG is good to around 35-40A max, and 10 should be good to about 70A.

Sweet Jebus... if anyone should get a free trail kit it's Link. The kids a mad genius!

E-BikeKit.com said:
The 36 will likely go to a younger guy to beat on.

O.K. lets dissect the above comment.

It seems there are 2 major criteria there.

1.) younger guy
2.) beat on

When you combine the two of those into one package, the first and most obvious choice would be.....

Link !!

17 years.....or is it 18 now
and undisputed champ at the torture test.

and agreed.....boy genius.

Just an observation:

On the mfg to avoid thread, the main beef with golden motor is the battery packs they buy from them. I don't see an actual problem with the motor.

If the design problems of the foreign motors had anything to do with the physical structure, I'd like to see if we could engineer a fix for one. For example, a part could be re manufactured to make it more reliable etc.

I'm an experienced machinist, and college student (42 yrs old). I'd like to see if a hub motor could be retrofitted easily with a manufactured part not for efficiency, but reliability.

As far as rewinding or other electrical components...not my area. I'm almost a mechanical engineer, I'll leave the electrical engineering for others.

I have a project class coming up, it could be the subject of that class....we'll see, I don't know what the beef with some of those motors is.

I ended that last sentence with a preposition. :lol: :roll:

Congrats link! :D

Whoo hoo! Link, and if the other one goes to Ypeadle, that's a damn good choice too! :) :D :lol:

Ebike, if you ever want one really torture tested, send me one next summer. 15 uphill miles home everyday ,in 105 F, in june last summer, I melted the magnets off a WE motor in less than 400 miles. I hear the same thing is happening to hubs on pedicabs. I doubt you'd learn anything new though, any fool could figure out that a hub motor melts when run hard in 100 degree heat.

Alu spoke nipples are about 1/3rd the weight of brass nipples, making a difference of ~25g on a 36 spoke wheel. This represents ~7w saved in accelerating from 30 to 50km/h

However alu nipples tend to seize, on the spokes from corrosion and on the rim from galling. This is compounded by the material being softer, leading to wrench flats that round off more easily and wheels that can no longer be trued. They've also been known to cause premature wheel failures in normal use, and finally they break more easily when something gets caught in the spokes.

For ebike applications, seems like the issues concerning strength outweigh the weight savings.

Edit: Come to think of it, this is the first ebike kit I've ever seen that has alu nipples.

Hey Link,

Keep on the path you're on now and you have the opportunity to be a world class tech..

See my sig for further explanation. :twisted:

Congrats on the freebie.. Didn't I see on another thread that you had somehow toasted your ride?

And i look forward to getting my hands on the revised kit.. 8)

Not to destroy it ( not right away at least :twisted: ) but to compare it to all the others, ezee, clyte, cyclone, WE, Red Hornet (9 continents ), and what ever else i'll have on hand at the time..

Each kit has it's pros and cons, and it's price point. The more choices the better !

There is also more to a kit than just " The kit " .. the company that supports it plays a big factor, QC is No.1 on my list, availability ( having the finances to import more than a few units at a time ) and much much more..

All good fun !

:lol: Link is in 406land right now. Someone needs to PM him to read this thread and the good news! :lol:

*chokes on Milky Way*

What? :shock: Awesome! Thanks! :mrgreen:

Hmm, now I have two spare hubs...I'll give this kit a round of testing stock, then have a go at seeing what it's limitations are like. :wink:

I guess I'll use the BD36 to make my sister an ebike for Christmas. :)

My break's over, so I'll PM you in a couple hours.

pwbset said:
:lol: Link is in 406land right now. Someone needs to PM him to read this thread and the good news! :lol:

Yeah, as if anything gets by me on this forum. :p

Link said:
*chokes on Milky Way*

What? :shock: Awesome! Thanks! :mrgreen:

Hmm, now I have two spare hubs...I'll give this kit a round of testing stock, then have a go at seeing what it's limitations are like. :wink:

Have fun.
We'll send potatoes.

Hello Jason Kraft.

Welcome to the forum.

Back