New Leaf Battery Modules

mechanix

100 W
Does anyone here know about the new Leaf battery modules? They are apparently 84ah and for the SL model, a big jump from the 64 or so from the previous generations. Are they the same size? What's different about them? The people at hybridautocenter.com weren't able to tell me the difference between these and the old cells. I'm wondering if it's a different chemistry.

http://evbatterycenter.com/HAC4/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=category&task=listing&cid=24&name=li-ion-battery-modules&Itemid=605

I'm interested in the additional 20ah or so, just wondering if the cell is bigger, since space is limited.

Same chemistry, and twice as thick. New modules are 4S 2P. By doubling the number of cells in a module, they reduce the amount of space "wasted" by the casing and spacing required between them, hence thicker, higher capacity cells.

Old vs new:

LEAF_batteries.jpg

The specs are all right there. The cells are supposedly exactly the same size, as are the modules. Except the double module is actually heavier than two single modules. That doesn't make sense. Unless the extra capacity comes from different internal structure of the cells in the double module. That doesn't make any sense, since the double modules would be in series with the single modules in that 2016 Leaf. The extra capacity would never get used, as the BMS would limit you to the minimum capacity of the weaker single modules. Something is weird.

{edit} I think the single modules must come from a 24 kWh, 2016 Leaf, and the 30 kWh, 2016 Leaf must use only double modules.

Well, I guess I'll be the guinea pig on this one - I'm buying (3) of the modules to make a 20s1p pack with 4 cells leftover. I'll take plenty of pics and measurements!

I'm hoping the thickness of the individual cells is the same, I'm limited to 6.5" between the cranks... I haven't pulled the trigger yet - maybe I should just get the older style cells because I know their dimensions and they will fit...

$0.29/wh shipped. 2952wh on my bike, should have some decent range

Some people are saying it's the same chemistry, some are saying it's a new chemistry. It all comes down to the cell thickness for me. It looks like they might be able to be measured from the outside based on this pic:

img_9540.jpg

I'm hoping someone on here could measure the individual cells before I purchase a bunch of them.

These modules are popular amongst the V is for Voltage crowd. You might find someone there who is part way through building a pack or who has some loose spares that could measure for you. Sorry, while the modules themselves were quite attractively priced to me, they just can't be shipped to Australia, so i passed up on them.

Thanks for the help, all - I never did find the info on the cell dimensions, so I just decided to take a chance on it - worst case I have to buy some fat bike cranks because of clearance issues! Should have them sometime this week!

If anyone is curious what these new modules are like, see the link below - I feel like I'm spamming the forum with a bunch of random posts about a single build :?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85838

I have a question about this third generation Leaf module. I think I should ask here instead of your other thread about hub motors for cargo bikes. Can you confirm that these modules are like two 2S2P earlier versions sandwiched together in a tighter configuration? This would make these third generation modules 4S2P right?

There are eight cells, or two sets of four. The cells are all sandwiched together with no spacers between them, but the terminations at the top are very similar to the gen 2 modules. Each set of four is 2s2p, so depending one how you wire the two sections together, you could get 4s2p or 2s4p. Hopefully that makes sense.

yeah, I should have mentioned that if you want to cut the copper, which is what I plan on doing, you can put all the cells in series. I drilled all my tabs out so I can reconfigure if necessary.

mechanix said:
There are eight cells, or two sets of four. The cells are all sandwiched together with no spacers between them, but the terminations at the top are very similar to the gen 2 modules. Each set of four is 2s2p, so depending one how you wire the two sections together, you could get 4s2p or 2s4p. Hopefully that makes sense.

makes perfect sense. Thank you.

strange,
really
nobody noticed it???
in cell descriptions:
33Ah cell and 41Ah cell exact same dimensions and thickness also same weight!!!
Weird is right.

I noticed it, and I figure that the dimensions available on the websites are of older Leaf cells and they might not have taken the time to measure the more recent cells in each new generation of modules. But if they did and older 33Ah cells have the same dimensions as the newer 41Ah cells then yes, it would be cool to know the reason for that.

mechanix, any way of measuring these new 41Ah cells for us? Width, length, thickness?

Why do you find that odd ?
It happens all the time with other cell formats ..eg 18650 with capacitiies increasing all the time within the same volume and weight
Its just changes /improvements of chemistry.
But, i dont think the cells can be the same weight since the 30kWh pack weighs more (+23kg?) than the 24kWh pack with the same number of cells (192) and less internal packaging.

0.313" x 8.438" x 11.625" (not including the terminals) I couldn't weight them because my scale tops out at 4lbs. Hopefully this helps!

Back