New Lyen 12 Fet, throttle surging

Hi guys, I recently installed a new Lyen 12 fet controller along with a new 24S1P pack on my bike and I am having some difficulties. My previous setup was a Hua Tong 20A controller with 20s2P and ran great without any problems.

I am seeing a very jerky throttle surge or pulse while accelerating, which continues even at a continuous throttle position and speed. This effect seems to be lessened if the throttle is feathered up to speed, though beyond 22mph the bike surges regardless.

I am running an HS3548 in a 20'' wheel, being fed 1.5kw currently. I have tested the hall-phase combination twice; the no load power draw is between 1-2A at 72mph. Under the no load test the wheel accelerates very smoothly, but with occasional fluctuations like the power is cutting out for a fraction of a second.

Hm, that's odd.
You've got a 4115 FET controller, right?

By the way, 24S is way too much for that super high speed winding. I ran 20S on a 20" 2548 and the top speed was around 47mph, but the watt draw was so high that the motor would eventually burn at that pace. No need for all that voltage.

Does it respond the same on lower voltage?

The controller is the 4110 version.

The issue seems just as pronounced with lower voltage as the pulsing occurs on 20s as well. I will test 12s and see if anything improves.

Edit: 12s and 18s both work beautifully with no hesitation at all right up to top speed, whereas 20s and 24s are almost undriveable above 18mph. I'm wondering if the tuning software settings don't have something to do with this?

I run cell_man controllers, though lyen and cell_man controllers do have the same main controller chip AFAIK.

I set my phase degree to auto and had no problem running this motor. I'm not entirely sure what it is set to on yours by default ( no way to read the settings ).

Attached is a screenshot of my settings using cell_man's infineon controller software which may be identical to yours.
This controller has double shunts, so the phase/battery amp figures displayed here actually end up being double, and represent a 2.25:1 phase to battery amp ratio, with 65A being the battery limit.

18S is a fine voltage for this motor and i think you will find it suitable once you pump some serious amperage into her. It should do ~40mph continuous, which is just about the max of what the motor can do without burning up in a short time.

Do not run 24S on a 4110 controller!! you will burn it out even if you just charge to 100v. So many people have burned out their controller that way, and your motor can barely handle the top speed that 20S will produce anyway on an upright bike. I saw 5000W-6000W continuous at 47mph on my motor for whatever reason. That'll blow 'er fast :p

Attachments

• CUserssuper hyphyDesktopeBike shitEB3 SW_2013-05-16_14-59-43.png
    CUserssuper hyphyDesktopeBike shitEB3 SW_2013-05-16_14-59-43.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,975
Thanks for the tips. I had a slight issue earlier with my bulk charger overcharging a single 6s pack, so it looks like this is a good opportunity to change the bike's battery config. It's a shame that HK seems to be sold out of lipo often; it sure makes getting new batteries difficult.

If you are only feeding that motor 1.5kw at 24S, then you're only giving it 15 amps. This is a high speed winding. You need to feed it about 3 times that amps at a minimum!

I was feeding the motor 5kw at peak. The bike was dialed down to 1.5kw for tuning purposes.

I ran my 4110 12 fet lyen at 25s for over a year with no problems (102.5v hot). Also, my kid continues to run it at 24s & 4000w to this day. I've had that controller for 3 years now with no problems.

itchynackers said:
I ran my 4110 12 fet lyen at 25s for over a year with no problems (102.5v hot). Also, my kid continues to run it at 24s & 4000w to this day. I've had that controller for 3 years now with no problems.
I told Lyen that I intended to run 24s and he said the 12 fet controller would be configured for 20s to 24s as I received it, so I'm assuming it's fine to run things that way. I was so impressed by the smoothness of 12s, and still being able to run 30mph at under 1.5kw continuous that I am just going to reconfigure my packs to run this way instead.

Janesville, eh? You're not too far from me! I'm in GB but attending school in Milwaukee. Nice to know there are some other e-bikers around the state.

In my case, no, my high voltage pulsing issue has not been fixed. My block time was set to 0.1 while I was having these pulsing issues; changing this setting resulted in no noticeable difference.

In the meantime I am changing my pack to a 12s config as 24s is nearly undrivable.

Sounds more to me like throttle protect is active and further it could just be that the resistor divider network isn't sufficient for your voltage requirement, its a simple mistake... what is the value of R1, can you take a pic of your controller PCB?

-Mike

I appreciate the response mwkeefer - I will take a picture of the board as soon as I find the time.

Back