New TSDZ2B install issues: 2022 Rockhopper Sport L

Bbbbrass

1 W
Hello all, I'm jumping into the mid drive world after loving my year with a front hub. It was amazing, until I got hit by a contractor van...

Anyway, I'm running into issues with my frame fitting the motor. I was able to get the motor in by removing the cover to slide over the brake cable, but I can't get the torque bracket to align due to the downtube hitting the motor when I try to rotate it forward. I also think I will have issues with the torque arm bracket hitting the rear tire (29x2.3). I can Dremel away, but am unsure if that will provide enough clearance. Anyone install a Tongshen on a newer Rockerhopper that can chime in?

I could also use a different frame. I have a 2003 Rockhopper, and a 2005 Hotrock sitting around. I would rather not keep pulling bottom brackets just to find out it won't work though.

Thanks all!

This is the motor/kit I bought.

It charged me from this site:

Attachments

• IMG_8784.jpeg
    IMG_8784.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8783.jpeg
    IMG_8783.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8738.jpeg
    IMG_8738.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8789.jpg
    IMG_8789.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8788.jpg
    IMG_8788.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8787.jpg
    IMG_8787.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8735.jpg
    IMG_8735.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
I wouldn't trim anything off your frame, if you can't get the motor to fit as it's intended, you can maybe make a bracket that supports the motor. It's not relevant to your frame, but might give you ideas - look at pics 4/5 in this post

I don't think this bracket is absolutely required for installation of TSDZTB.

Hello all, I'm jumping into the mid drive world after loving my year with a front hub. It was amazing, until I got hit by a contractor van...

Anyway, I'm running into issues with my frame fitting the motor. I was able to get the motor in by removing the cover to slide over the brake cable, but I can't get the torque bracket to align due to the downtube hitting the motor when I try to rotate it forward. I also think I will have issues with the torque arm bracket hitting the rear tire (29x2.3). I can Dremel away, but am unsure if that will provide enough clearance. Anyone install a Tongshen on a newer Rockerhopper that can chime in?

I could also use a different frame. I have a 2003 Rockhopper, and a 2005 Hotrock sitting around. I would rather not keep pulling bottom brackets just to find out it won't work though.

Thanks all!

This is the motor/kit I bought.

It charged me from this site:
I almost gave up trying to fit a TSDZ2 into the BB of my old Raleigh, thinking it was not possible. In the end I had to trim the cable guide and move the derailleur cable, which was in the way. Put the motor cover back on, turn the bike upside down so you can see what's interfering.

In general FME with BBS02's (which might be applicable), steel frames (especially with 68mm bottom brackets) worked best. I needed to dremel inside the BB with a GT Zaskar conversion.

I didn't use the support bracket on my tsdz2b.
I have done 2000 miles on it without any issues.

Thanks all. I ended up taking apart the case of the motor to get it on. No bracket, but may fab up some support. Need to take it off to put back on 52T cog anyways.

So my motor was working for a few short rides, but I've run into an unexpected issue. I keep getting the E08 error code with fully charged batteries, including the brand new one I built with 40T for this bike. All BMS are working, no fuses blown. One battery (my old one) I used yesterday for a 10 miles ride on this bike, recharged over night, and now it's doing the error code. I checked the voltage, 56V. No sag when I put a test load on it, all cells balanced. I tried an Ego 56V battery with an adaptor, reading 57V, and it worked just fine for 5 miles. I'm stumped as to what is causing this error code! Help would be welcomed...
IMG_8993.jpeg

Back