New user, looking for some direction

zerojett

1 µW
Hi guys, I'm Mike.

It has been many years since I've been on a forum. I came here because I was reading about Arlo1's CRX. I'm still reading more about it.

A bit of a ramble: I have a 1989 Honda Civic Si that I'm restoring, and with the uncertainty of gas vehicles in the future, I'm actually considering figuring out how to EV swap it. I'd love to keep it FWD, and I am sad that I likely won't be able to keep the stick shifter (I assume at least). I have played with 88-91 Civics almost exclusively for the past 10 years, so I'm ready to do something crazy to one. Future-proof it, hopefully. I found this thread about a similar conversion to Arlo's CRX. It looks like it is best to convert all existing components (brake, accelerator, hvac, steering) to electric, then work on getting the car moving? It isn't too daunting, I just don't know where to start learning.

I'm excited to learn.

Where is the best section to start reading? Any great threads that you folks could recommend? :)

The search function at the top right might be helpful. I mention that because there are very useful discussions and possibly a similar project that was posted several years ago.

Hi Mike.

Don't worry too much about gasoline's future; even Norway leading the pack in EV sales is only up to 2% the total fleet as of 2022.

I'd poke around on the DIY Electric Car forums to learn more and see specific builds; there's been a few here, but I can only think of 2. I love the shifter too, but it'll likely be worthless and unused in an EV; keeping the transmission will also keep you from using regen braking, since transmissions can't just be ran in reverse. I'd look into getting a clean shell that had an auto trans and look at Nissan Leaf swaps people have done; the motor, inverter and diff are all one "unit".

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
Hi Mike.

Don't worry too much about gasoline's future; even Norway leading the pack in EV sales is only up to 2% the total fleet as of 2022.

I'd poke around on the DIY Electric Car forums to learn more and see specific builds; there's been a few here, but I can only think of 2. I love the shifter too, but it'll likely be worthless and unused in an EV; keeping the transmission will also keep you from using regen braking, since transmissions can't just be ran in reverse. I'd look into getting a clean shell that had an auto trans and look at Nissan Leaf swaps people have done; the motor, inverter and diff are all one "unit".

I found a really nice build thread with a first gen CRX and a Leaf motor. I learned a few things like what components are required.

The things that steer me away from the Leaf swap is the discontinuation of CHAdeMO charger (read this somewhere), and the size of the battery pack and how awkward it is (but I think that is just a reality of EV conversions).

I'll do more research... I still have to do the body work to the Civic.

The search function on this site is not ideal, idk if that is user error or not, but I can't seem to find a way to view a user's started threads. I can only search for specific posts. I wanted to look through Arlo1's threads to see what info I can dig into, since he is a fellow Canadian with a near-identical chassis.

The search function on this site is not ideal, idk if that is user error or not, but I can't seem to find a way to view a user's started threads. I can only search for specific posts. I wanted to look through Arlo1's threads to see what info I can dig into,
Click on his name on one of his threads,..that will open his bio and give the option of searching his threads.

zerojett said:
The search function on this site is not ideal, idk if that is user error or not, but I can't seem to find a way to view a user's started threads. I can only search for specific posts. I wanted to look through Arlo1's threads to see what info I can dig into, since he is a fellow Canadian with a near-identical chassis.
In the search page https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php
leave the Search for keywords: blank
put Arlo1 in the Search for author: field
choose First post of topics only for the Search within: field
choose Display results as: Topics

Hillhater said:
Click on his name on one of his threads,..that will open his bio and give the option of searching his threads.
Unfortunatley with the present forum software that only lets you search all of their posts, with no options to see just the ones for the threads they actually started. :( But the steps I posted above do show just those threads, albeit more complicatedly.

zerojett said:
I found a really nice build thread with a first gen CRX and a Leaf motor. I learned a few things like what components are required.

The things that steer me away from the Leaf swap is the discontinuation of CHAdeMO charger (read this somewhere), and the size of the battery pack and how awkward it is (but I think that is just a reality of EV conversions).

I'll do more research... I still have to do the body work to the Civic.

Yeah, CHAdeMO is going away, but there's plenty of companies that offer J1772 / CCS charging swap kits. More money to be sure- and you lose out on CHAdeMO's ability to push power in the opposite direction- but they exist.

The leaf packs can be broken down into submodules and messed around with; they have no cooling circut, which was both a blessing and a bane for them. There's a youtuber who just swapped a wrecked leaf into a VW Type 3 for a couple of grand whos youtube channel I can post for you later.

And yeah, the search kinda sucks lmao :lol:

Back