Newbie - First e-Bike build - need advice

andrenoites

100 W
Hello

This is my first post and im very excited with the idea to convert my BTT bike into a eletric vehicle.

In my project I'm thinking in installing one 48v 1680W cyclone kit (with the BB engine fixing plates and triple chainwheel 48t/48t/32t) with external kelly controler
For the battery maybe 2 x 6s 20C 5000W LiPos linked in serial charged with one IMAX B6 6 cells charger pluged in a ATX PSU (only support charging each battery at a time)

I only need about 12 miles autonomy for my daily commute.

Can anyone give advises about my setup?

Tnx,

André

Are you intimately familiar with the procedures and safety practices for lipo batteries? 95% of the time, it's better start with a more forgiving lithium chemistry, or even SLA's than with lipos because one mistake can be a house fire. If you have experience with RC cars, planes or something else that uses Lipos, that's usually how first-time ebike builders have the necessary experience to handle a lipo first build.

That cyclone kit will be nice and powerful for you, assuming you want to go with a middrive like that. I'm not a huge fan of those style of mid drives for all the usual reasons (loud, dirty, require periodic maintenance, wear out, more potential for injury if you get a pant leg or something caught in it, etc). If you are dead set against hubmotors or have some serious hills you need to climb, the mid drives can be a good alternative, but again, 95% of beginners start with a hubmotor kit. Of course if you are set on a mid-drive, it sounds like you're on the right track with that kit - just be sure you know what you're doing with the lipos since they're no game.

When you go electric, you don't need triple chainwheels any more. You'll only use the biggest.

Your 5aH of 12S lipos won''t be enough for 12 miles with a crank-drive. A pair of the 8000maH ones would be better, or four 5000maH ones to gie 10aH 12S.

Cyclone seems a strange choice. They have advantages in some situations, but you didn't give a reason. A GNG Gen 2 might be better if you don't want too much speed, but a hub-motor is much more user friendly and reliable.

mlt34:

I think I will follow you advice in the LiPos.

I thought that with a good computorized charger LiPos were safe but maybe I will change the batteries for LiFe cells. Could 12S LifePo4 39,6V be enough for the 48V motor?
I will carry the batteries in my camelbag so weight is always a issue.

Another question I have is if i should upgrade any part from the original kit with better components (ACS freewell instead of the dicta or better motor fixing plates).

The bike will be a Kona Entourage

Tnx

d8veh:

So I guess I will have to increase the stamina of the batteries also...

I chose cyclone because I found a shop in europe selling the kits and spare parts at good prices.
I will search for stores in Europe with GNG kits to compare prices.
Im thinking in max speed of 45mph, is it possible?

I like the EGO Kit but its very expensive so I will try to replicate the same concept with cheaper parts :)

Tnx

andrenoites said:
I thought that with a good computorized charger LiPos were safe
Very safe...just ask Floont. :(

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48388

I have a dual 2400w Cyclone setup, originally a single 2400w.
If I could do it over again, I'd pay a bit more up front and get a Hubzilla.

With a mid-drive bike, they're loud, things break, they're harder to water proof.

With a Cyclone, if the motor goes out, it's very hard to pedal it, I don't mean the strength required, I mean the fact that you will be in a very low gear and in my case, I'll pedal as fast as I can (must look funny to anyone watching) but only move at 10mph.

Unless you're in a hilly area, just got for a hub drive, unless you decide to go for a Hubzilla, then hills won't matter.

Hi,

I have a GNG middrive kit which has dual free-wheels. This means that on the GNG kit, you can pedal the bike as normal without getting resistance from the motor. I kept my back gears so I can effectively use it as a normal bike with the motor turned off. I've found I really only end up using the motor to zoom up to speed and to go up hills, the rest of the time I maintain speed with normal pedaling which means the range is much greater than I was expecting.

I'm very happy currently with the GNG kit + 48v 12ah LifPO4 setup as my first build. Note that the controller was flaky in my shipment so I ended up replacing it with a lyen controller + Cycle analyst that gives much better control over the bike and visability into battery performance. I'd also replace the 'yellow box' connector for the phase wires with sheathed bullet connectors and use anderson powerpoles for the battery/controller connection.

I am considering replacing my home-made plastic/vinyl diamond-frame battery case with a neater fibreglass one and putting in the lightingrod mounting sheets later.

Good luck!

andrenoites said:
So I guess I will have to increase the stamina of the batteries also...

I chose cyclone because I found a shop in europe selling the kits and spare parts at good prices.
I will search for stores in Europe with GNG kits to compare prices.
Im thinking in max speed of 45mph, is it possible?

Now it's getting complicated. 45 mph needs a serious battery. A 5aH 12S lipo pack can take you 12 miles at about 15mph if you don''t have any hills. To go 45mph, you need at least 20aH of 12S, but it would be better to go to a much higher voltage to reduce the current. 45mph won't be cheap.

amberwolf said:
andrenoites said:
I thought that with a good computorized charger LiPos were safe
Very safe...just ask Floont. :(

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48388

If I understand correctly, floont bulk-charged 35S LiPo? Probably that was reason - every disbalance is multiplied by amount of cells in series.

A cyclone kit is a good choice you have in mind for that speed 45mph, it is also more compact and legal looking then the GNG with all the large exposed gears. Cylone also has dual free-wheels. This means that you can pedal the bike as normal without getting resistance from the motor. keep the back gears so you can then use it as a normal bike with the motor turned off

45mph is possible with one 48v cyclone motor if you build it like this cyclone build:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48110&start=25

andrenoites said:
I thought that with a good computorized charger LiPos were safe but maybe I will change the batteries for LiFe cells.

I don't want to mislead you. It's not that Lipos are inherently unsafe (well, ok, I guess you could kinda say they are) but the bigger issue is just that it is very easy to accidentally make a mistake that results in injury. For example, you can have a really nice $200 computerized charger but if you accidentally hit a button one too many times and tell the charger you have a larger pack than is really connected, BAM - firey explosion. It's just too easy to make a big mistake with Lipos if you aren't familiar with how to use them. And that's only one way to blow yourself up with a Lipo, there are others, don't worry.

for charger, please try to get that 10amps charger or 200w charger. they are slightly more expensive but they can do a much better job for every charging. im planning to buy 2 of them one of these days. i have imax bc, or $19 to $22 several at home. im also going to build 12s x 15amps = will give you more range. i got to save now.

Is it possible to run a 48v cyclone 1680w kit with kelly controler at 72v (with proper cooling)?
The controler is the External 24V-48V Programmable Kelly Controller 35A Continuous 100A Max Model KBS48101L

Also if I chose using LiPos could a charging/storing bag make them safer to use?

Tnx for all the replies! :)

Nice work, that's a slick looking ebike! Where's the lithium though?! :lol:

That will definitely get you moving, nice work!

Back