Noob e-biker enthusiast with a low to medium budget

rarefaction

1 µW
Hey guys... friend of Pendragon's. Looking for ProTips from you e-bike jedi's on how to effectively create a ultimate balance between budget, reliability and efficiency. :)

Here's what i've got to work with so far..

8sq3pd-640x500.jpg

So yeah any suggestions much appreciated. I do have my heart set on the crystalyte range of motors due to reports from other mates, but any help / suggestions / trolling welcome :)

Cheers,
RF

welcome! alright we just need a flux capacitor! and a jigawatt!!

:wink:

so i contacted John Karambalis (sales.emtb@gmail.com) (stealth ebikes)
and he says a new wind of hs35xx is comming.. hs3565 so 65kph at 48-50v
with 40amp controler and postage is $750
from John
On the other hand, the only motors that we have coming are HS 3565's
which will do 65km/h on 48V.
amps much...

so Rarefaction we gota jam 4 6s5ah lipo in the triangle i reakon and controller under the down tube. i think a cycle analyst v3 would be a good option although its $150 i reakon its worth it it you wana do long trips (50k+) you can switch it efficienct mode and pedal away :)

looking at the drop outs i reakon we can make some plates for torque arm/plates that should hld it nicely.

what do you wana do about lights? that one you made from a jaycar 3w led would probly be enough to get you started and that high powered rear you got from standish cycles. would be nice to rig it up to main battery though. might need to make a dc-dc converter with a switch mode plug pack.

get onto john and put you name down for a hs3565.

Naaaaah go cheap like ghetto cheap.
Been ages since anyone went full pov on a build.
Friction drive a kitchen appliance or something.

Edit
You the mate that passed out on the shitter with pendragons helmet on?

rarefaction said:
Hey guys... friend of Pendragon's. Looking for ProTips from you e-bike jedi's on how to effectively create a ultimate balance between budget, reliability and efficiency. :)
May I suggest you throw out a $ number? For example under $800? Under $1500? Under $3000?

As far as efficiency I'd go with a center drive and use your bikes gears with a freewheel BB, you just don't get more efficient than using your existing bike gears.

Heck everything including the BB and battery for these 2 builds was under $800.

Electric.gif

ElectricCadillac.gif

Reliability is another story and mostly in my limited experience is battery life.
The LiPo 3's in the above example sucked and died soon.

If you can get a big good battery and mount it to a back rack you can mount a motor in your small center cavity and the controller on the side like this semi-recumbent shifter I am building now.

2_RecumMountL.jpg.FP

As for voltage, controller or motor brands let the experts help you, I am just suggesting a drive train type.

thanks for the fast replies guys - AWESOME :)

first up budget is around 1k ... but will probably blow out to about 1.5 with all the extra bits and pieces.

@KCVale i really am set on a hub motor setup i just hate the idea of lost energy through drive trains. Plus chains give me the shits :p

I appreciate your input greatly however, and those two do look like very tidy builds. Big ups!

If set on a hub - can't go wrong with a Yescom Kit (Under $300) coupled with a LIFEPO4 48V15AH pack. I put this together for under $700 (had the bike already) and couldn't be more pleased with the performance (30mph+) and reliability so far.

+1 on geee's suggestion as I too have this motor and couldnt be more pleased after I got the torque arm installed.

pendragon8000 said:
Wow that is cheap
https://www.yescomusa.com/Brushless_Electric_Bicycle_Engine-_48v_1000w_Rear_Wheel_Hub_Motor_Kit.html
Can anyone vouch for longevity?
Popular. Any one?
Longevity?
The crystalyte is obviously tough and reliable hub ,spokes and rim

In general, all the direct drive motors are just as durable, or just as easy to melt, depending on how hard you flog em.

We really have to have some clue what your performance goals are, before we start making much recomendations. Typical commuting performance is easy on your budget. 20-25 mph for 20 miles per charge. Even that is beyond legal where you live though. :roll:

Your bike is an excellent base to start on for a rear hub motor, or a non hub. Which is best will depend on what kind of ride you are wanting.

This yescomusa 1000w motor seem the same as my VPower.
https://www.yescomusa.com/Brushless_Electric_Bicycle_Engine-_48v_1000w_Rear_Wheel_Hub_Motor_Kit.html

So far so good (not riding so much, about 750km for now, alot of rainy days/winter); make sure you have torque arm solution.

For the battery the OSN offer seem quite honest. Big cells for easy repair and high discharge rate. BMS and charger included. Still untested I think.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=47241

LiPo is always good also for low budget as you can easily upgrade.

Good luck!

pendragon8000 said:
welcome! alright we just need a flux capacitor! and a jigawatt!!

:wink:

so i contacted John Karambalis (sales.emtb@gmail.com) (stealth ebikes)
and he says a new wind of hs35xx is comming.. hs3565 so 65kph at 48-50v
with 40amp controler and postage is $750
from John
On the other hand, the only motors that we have coming are HS 3565's
which will do 65km/h on 48V.
amps much...

so Rarefaction we gota jam 4 6s5ah lipo in the triangle i reakon and controller under the down tube. i think a cycle analyst v3 would be a good option although its $150 i reakon its worth it it you wana do long trips (50k+) you can switch it efficienct mode and pedal away :)

looking at the drop outs i reakon we can make some plates for torque arm/plates that should hld it nicely.

what do you wana do about lights? that one you made from a jaycar 3w led would probly be enough to get you started and that high powered rear you got from standish cycles. would be nice to rig it up to main battery though. might need to make a dc-dc converter with a switch mode plug pack.

get onto john and put you name down for a hs3565.

getting confused who knows who and who is who.

I just came across emtb yesterday and got info on the hs3565 too. I have no idea how a motor on 48v can hit that continuous speed. First concern is that it can't. I want to believe it and am keen to get one now. Going above 48v scares me as I am not technically understanding enough to know how to save myself anymore melt downs higher power will most probably give me.

I am waiting eagerly for more info.

as i said "amps much" because you need a set amount of power to counteract friction and wind resistance so thats usually about 1200-1800 watts so if you're using 48v then you need about 30 amps to go 60kph . thats not rediculous high amps really but its up there. the motor has a diferent length of wire in the coils to determine the KV (rpm/volt) of the motor. having a faster motor can be good for puting out more power, but it will get hot at low rpm as it will have a high speed peak power out put for a given voltage and be less efficient off the line.

Depends on the winding, what the more or less max speed is. More amps might add more speed, or not depending on if the winding is at it's max rpm for that winding. Nobody gets more no load speed by adding amps is what I mean, so theoretically that no load rpm is you max potential speed for that winding.

Don't know if the original guy ever bought yet. But it would be dumb to buy a motor from the USA, to ship to NZ? Or Australia? The yes kits are similar to ship from china offerings under various names, golden, conhis, V power. Maybe not identical but close.

If that is the type you want, on the cheap, go to EM3 ev and get the muxus dd motor from him. You can flog em to 40 mph for 10 miles or so. Just have to stop before the smoke comes out. They'll do 30 mph for hours. (1500w)

Next ante up, would be the clyte, HS or HT, HT for big wheels.

You won't be getting a cromotor or huge clyte on a small budget. Get a cheap muxus, a cheap 72v controller off ebay, and 72v 10 ah of lipo. Cut some homemade torque plates like neptronix does. Haul ass. :twisted:

Had a good chat with Rarefaction today about ebike build.
Finalised requirements:
- 25km to 30km round trip at 60kph
Requires aprox 1kwh
24s 10ah should do it with the power restricted to power used for 60kph.
Looking at the 40amp crystalyte controller and a h3565 or h3540
John k has the 3565 in stock and is 1 state away where as ebikes.CA has the 3540 opposite end of planet.
So they should ride at 90kph and 70kph top speed.

pendragon8000 said:
Had a good chat with Rarefaction today about ebike build.
Finalised requirements:
- 25km to 30km round trip at 60kph
Requires aprox 1kwh
24s 10ah should do it with the power restricted to power used for 60kph.
Looking at the 40amp crystalyte controller and a h3565 or h3540
John k has the 3565 in stock and is 1 state away where as ebikes.CA has the 3540 opposite end of planet.
So they should ride at 90kph and 70kph top speed.

How many volts is the next build?

We did the calculations and worked out to get to uni and back Rarefaction needs just under1kwh so to utilize the controller to the Max we'll go 100v :) 10ah.
John, I was looking at those super cheap auto cases. Looks perfect for 8 lipo bricks standing up with wire at the top.
The 40a crystalyte controller into a hs3540 on 24s (100v Max) should go about 80kph with 4kw off the line should be nice.

wholly c^%P, only time I would 80kmh to Uni was the last 5 minutes an assignment was due. I got speeding tickets then too.

I think this thread has been hijacked. oh well.

Have you got a link to the 100v controller? You have me very interested

Very interesting and informative forum!

I too would be looking for a very similar setup - but I'm in Ireland... any thoughts on where I'd get a similar motor and battery in Europe for similar cost?

liamcaff said:
Very interesting and informative forum!

I too would be looking for a very similar setup - but I'm in Ireland... any thoughts on where I'd get a similar motor and battery in Europe for similar cost?
Cyrystalyte Europe, or ebikes.CA

Back