Notes on fixing a Crystalyte controller.

dermot

100 W
My Crystalyte 36/72V 35A controller (married to a front wheel X5) shuddered to a halt a couple of weeks back.

I have a Lyen controller as a spare, but it didn't drop in at all well (more on that later*).

Yesterday, I had a go at fixing it - when I took the board out of the housing, I found that two of the three large capacitors had dropped off and the third one had split with goo leaking out of the opposite end to the wires. (So, if you go offroad, it might not be a bad idea to apply some hot glue to fix the caps securely - there was just a small blob of glue on mine)

I'm assuming that with only one cap in circuit, the higher ripple current caused it to fail.

There were signs of arcing adjacent to where one of the caps used to be - looks like it caused a short when it fell off. This is a 12FET controller, 4 FETS per phase, 2 high and two low. Some of the legs on two were blown off (and the FETS measured dead short) the other pair were still in circuit but dead short.

Fortunately I had a box of dead controllers donated by Jozzer some time back (Thanks mate!!!) so checked that I had 4 spare FETs with no signs of short circuit and soldered them in and replaced the caps likewise.

Without refitting the heatsink hardware, I suspended the motor above the ground and fired it up, fed with 60V from a bench PSU set to 1A current limit. For a second or so, it spun up with no signs of distress, but then ground to a halt saturating the PSU and pulling the volts way down. One parallel pair of FETS were short again.

Replaced them again, checked more carefully, but got the same result with the same two FETS dead short.

Then looked at resistance checks across all 12 FETs - each pair of FETs had 20 Ohms between the gates - traced that to a pair of 10ohm tiny surface mound resistors, the common point of which goes to a driver transistor. The resistors were perhaps 100mW and both open circuit on the faulty FET locations.

Looks like the initial flashover failure popped the 10Ohm gate resistors, and if you fire up a controller with open-circuit gate connections, it looks as if leakage blows up the FETs - even current limited to only 1A. So if you are faced with swapping FETS, it is a good plan to check the gates resistors are still OK. I took a pair out of a dead controller (Thanks again Jozzer) - a pair of tweezers and doing this *before* having a beer at lunch helps quite a bit, as a steady hand is required to swap resistors small enough to go through the eye of a large sewing needle!

And got a result - controller ran fine for 5 mins with no significant temperature rise on the FETS and around 0.8A drawn from the PSU. Put it all back together and rode for a few miles at full throttle pulling 35A for quite a bit of the time.

All of this is probably old news to many people, but thought it worth posting my experience.

Dermot

* And the Lyen controller? I'd initially ran through all the colour combinations and found a combination where it run forward smoothly and pulled no more than 1A on no load. On the road, however, there was very little torque and it pulled 25A with almost no torque. I'd assumed that there was only one combination that gave smooth low current operation - either this is not the case or my controller came with a fault - anyone have experience of this?

Hey Dermot

Yes been there on more than 1 occasion :D I have repaired many! I have spare surface mount gate resistors and fet drivers chips and fets for that matter, yes i would routinely change the gate driver resistors they always go, I used to desolder the old resistors however most folks simply piggy back them over the dead ones which saves a bit of time, I used a very thin piece of blu tack rolled up in to a point to hold it in place whilst soldering. Yes the caps always come loose in those controllers, hot glue them back in place they will be fine, another thing to watch on them is the cheap pass through plastic rivets they use on the fets, I used to have lots of problems with them failing, I replaced all mine for quality ones from farnell, there are loads of posts if you dig right back in the archives on what we did, I am glad I dont have to do too much these days, they are pretty reliable those controllers, I have 2 brand new ones here still, I also have one that I modified for 100V which is handy, replaced all the fets in that one.

Funnily enough I had to split the controller a month or so ago as I went off roading and managed to rip out the hall wire, pulled it straight out of the controller, luckily as I never throw anything away I swapped out another lead from an old dead controller, I never throw anything away 8)

We must meet up for a spring ride some time soon Dermot! that ride to the brewery looks great, glad you got the controller working again.

Paul

For the moment, I'm running on a new sensorless Crystalyte 45A controller that arrived yesterday together with an HT motor for another build - I want to do a more thorough repair job on the on the one I blew up; reflowing the solder a bit better, hot glue &c.

The sensorless one, by default, made my X5 go backwards, but leaving on the reverse link and it's fine.

At start up, the wheel jiggles for a moment while it decides which way to spin and is then ok. I notice two things however - the controller evidently has a slow-start ramp-up function that takes a moment or two to get to full power; it is also feels much smoother and quieter in operation. I've become used to the X5 making a distinct humming noise and some vibration under acceleration.

Only getting 21mph on 52V even at 45A, which seems a little low - but then it is probably not designed to run a sensored X5 anyway, I only tried it for fun.

Might get a chance to try it with the HT sensorless front wheel that it came with after the weekend.

Once going, the 45A certainly has a bit more pull than the old 35A one (which is the one that came with my original ill-fated geared front hub).

I need to revisit the Lyen controller, to see what is wrong - that is planned for a rear X5 fun bike for offroad use.

Another option, I suppose, is to rehouse the old 35A controller when I rebuild my 20series7parallel A123 pack and use a bigger box giving enough space to double up on the FETs - and tweak the shunt a bit.

I should be up in Horton several times in the next couple of weeks - will let you know in advance so we can meet up one lunchtime.

dermot

Oh yes - good tip on the insulators on the FET bolts - I replaced them all with some good ones that I had in stock from my years-back building 3KW audio amplifiers.

dermot

Hey Dermot

Again glad you got the controller working, they really arent that hard to work on and all of the components are pretty easy to get hold of esp if you have a box load of old controllers, I am more than happy with the current limits on my controllers being happy doing 30mph max I really am not interested in going any faster, I am more interested in range these days, feel like I may be getting a little old :lol:

Saw an interesting news article on the local news tonight about charging points for electric bikes on rural trails, might see if I can record it later and post it up, keep your eye out for it.

One of my controllers has thrown a few weird ones lately, on my BMC geared motor it has spun it backwards on more than one occasion :lol: not a problem as it has a freewheel but may slow you down a bit if not ha ha, the X5 doesnt really get used much as I just use the one bike for commuting although its nice to have the tank as a backup, its certainly pretty fast and smooth.

Yes I can pop out at lunch and meet up, the warm weather is supposed to return soon, hows the weight loss going? I am on a diet myself at the moment, need to shift a few lbs and get fitter.

Great picture as well that little robin waited for you to go get your camera, you got some nice Bokeh on that shot as well what camera are you using? I am looking to getting a canon 600d digital rebel it fits my budget at just under 600 quid, I have a baby daughter now and want to get some super nice pictures and video.

let me know when you are around and I will pop out.

Paul

Back