• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Nuvinci developer kits for cheap

dumbass said:
Thank you for the information, but you need to understand that I am running a very wide range, and I use every bit of the NuVinci 's gear ratio, and I use a 4 bolt compact MTB crank to get the smallest possible off the shelf granny gear, so I would definitely use all the range!

Also, I wouldn't be using it in manual mode, I am really interested in the increased efficiency with the electronically mapped shifting! 8)

finally took back my Kindle, so I'm going to order one first thing tomorrow, and probably save it for a trike. :twisted:

Understood...I just didn't want you to think I was saying there was some major difference between this unit and a standard 171N. The 171N has a 50% to 150% range whereas, this unit has a 50% to 175% range. And yes it is heavier duty but I have no idea how much with the addition of 2 balls.

Mine is being delivered today. I was supprised they only charged $8.21 for delivery (UPS).

Bob[/quote]

No worries Bob, I actually have that same range in my current hub, mine is a slightly newer model, it's the N171B, and has the .5 to 1.75 range.

I'm most familiar with this hub opposed to the new N360 which I doubt would be as easy to mount the second sprocket given that it has the shifting linkage in between the drop-outs, and at $150 + shipping, can't really beat it! :D (that and I want to put one back in my other E-bike frame for the moment. :p )

So how many people have got one of these connected to their bike. And how do they find them?

I have seen lots of people talking about them. But only read one example of how they performed. Mostly interested in how they accelerate from stop to full speed, and how they go climbing hills.

Am thinking about getting one, but at about $250 (inc shipping), it is not an insignificant purchase.

2 units already installed and working. soon to add a third. does everything you mentioned very well. IMHO worth every penny.

rick

Builds tak a while sometimes. You can be patient, or you can be an expermenter.
And they are $150, not 250

Drew, I think he meant $250 w shipping to Australia.
I got one, but I'm still in the build process. Hopefully I'll have it done before the end of the month and then I'll be able to her some flat ground acceleration data and gonna try take it to Colorado and do some hill testing. Hard to do that in Florida. :lol:

I am trying to order from California, but the total doesn't seem right:
Description Quantity Unit price Amount
N171-DEV-36SL-1 - N171 KIT, NUVINCI DEVELOPER, 36SPK SILVER 1 $149.99 $149.99
ST-001 - manual shifter 1 $13.92 $13.92
Subtotal $163.91
Shipping/handling $14.24
CASF 9.5% $15.57
Total $193.72 USD

I also thought you were getting the manual shifter for free, and why is there sales tax from Texas. I am going to follow up but wanted to get some info first.

Your totals seem to add up fine. The Cali tax is high, but it is always that high. As far as the manual shifter being free, that wasn't part of the actual deal. If some guys happened to get it for free, that is definitely a bonus for them, but I don't think NuVinci is obligated to send it out for free to anyone. It probably started out that someone needed it for a specific reason and they tried to help out and threw it in. Then it got talked about on here and people started asking for it even though the didn't need it and they saw that they were going to be having to give too many of them out for free and went back to their original deal.
The shipping and handling is one part that does seem a little high to me. It isn't horribly high, but considering you are in Cali, ordering from Cali, and 2 of us got them sent to Florida for about $8 each, than the $14.24 does seem a little high. Did you ask for faster shipping or something?

No, $14 for shipping seems okay for the weight and distance (no special request), but what about the sales tax? Is everyone getting charged this?

I was thinking you said they shipped from Cali to Cali, so in that case it would be high to charge more to ship nearly the same package from Cali to Florida than Cali to Cali. But I just checked and it seems that mine came from Texas, so that could count for the difference in shipping price. As far as the excise tax, usually if you are buying from out of state, you don't have to pay the state excise tax since the product wasn't bought in that state. But I do know that Cali has some different rules when it comes to certain things, so maybe they require you to pay their excise tax even if you are buying from out of state. I had heard a few years ago that they had found a loophole for when everybody went out of state to buy cars to save tons of money on excise tax, they could still tax them for it. I think they added it to the registration cost or something.

Check that. Headquarters are in San Diego, but they have a facility in Texas. Maybe they ship out of Texas, but if their headquarters are listed in San Diego, than I'm sure you will have to pay Cali tax since you are also in Cali.

snowranger said:
No, $14 for shipping seems okay for the weight and distance (no special request), but what about the sales tax? Is everyone getting charged this?

The company is based in California and so even though it is shipped from Texas, you still have to pay sales tax.

I did a build a while ago http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11066 and it will be interesting to see what you guys think.
One thing that I did find was you just never needed the amount of range that it offers. Below 30% I never used and even going up steep hills I was on 20% so maybe it needs to be over geared.
I also started getting the problem where at the 60% point on the settings the nuvinci would engage at the new setting but then slowly shift to a taller gear at around 80% if that makes sense. Because I had a RC setup when this happened there was some serious acceleration from the unit. Not sure if that was the balls wearing, or issues with the cable selector but this would happen even when changing with no load.
Alex

Got it. Thanks.

You guys want to have a laugh? Take a look at the Nuvinci prices on EBay. Wow, we are really getting a deal with these kits. I bought my first Nuvinci 171 manual kit on EBay. I think I paid around $200 for it new.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=nuvinci&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Bob

Just want to double check. You can fit a standard FreeWheel to one of these hubs?
Was thinking about the ENO 18T Freewheels. My crank has 42T. So that would give me a ratio of 1.14 - 4.08.
(My bike currently is 1.31-3.50)

Received mine today. The actuator is HUGE. It was possible to make it 3x smaller and lighter (two stage reduction and smaller motor, BLDC perhaps), with all electronics embedded. It's ok for developing stage, for testing etc... But for end product - dont think so.
And fallbrook should think about ways to mount it in iiner side of frame, as now it is sticking out of ebike's proportions and asks for trouble...

ashwright said:
Just want to double check. You can fit a standard FreeWheel to one of these hubs?
Was thinking about the ENO 18T Freewheels. My crank has 42T. So that would give me a ratio of 1.14 - 4.08.

Honestly I think you will want to go with a 16T. When I bought my 171 years ago it came with a 17T and I had a 42T crank. I ended up putting on a 16T and wished I could go smaller.

Bob

circuit said:
Received mine today. The actuator is HUGE. It was possible to make it 3x smaller and lighter (two stage reduction and smaller motor, BLDC perhaps), with all electronics embedded. It's ok for developing stage, for testing etc... But for end product - dont think so.
And fallbrook should think about ways to mount it in iiner side of frame, as now it is sticking out of ebike's proportions and asks for trouble...

Yes, I got mine yesterday. The actuator looks like it came off a car from a couple decades ago. Also, the controller box looks like we need to fashion some sort of cover for it.

It *did* come off a car...or rather, it is the same control unit and motor that would be used for power windows, headlight actuators, etc. Just reprogrammed for NuVinci's purposes, AFAIK.

ATM I am planning on putting the actuator in the frame, with a linkage (belt, probably, possibly #25 chain) to the hub's shifting rod. I wish I had known I could've asked for the cable-operated shifter when ordering, as I could've used the mechanism from that to create a linkage instead.

I do still have the option for a cable-operated linkage, as I have an old flatbed scanner mechanism that uses a steel-cable reel to move the scanner head, and have been wondering periodically if I would ever have a use for it. Now I just might. :) I have to find where I put it, though. :(

dumbass said:
ashwright said:

Honestly I think you will want to go with a 16T. When I bought my 171 years ago it came with a 17T and I had a 42T crank. I ended up putting on a 16T and wished I could go smaller.

Bob

I have been thinking about this. My bike currently generates approx 70RPM at the pedals under load (on the flat). I tested my current bike on two step hills yesterday. It got up one hill (no pedaling) in the lowest gear (1.31), but did not make it up the other hill (motor stalled.) however if I pedaled we got up the hill (with a very flat battery). 16T would give me the same low gear I currently have. 18T would give me an extra 5% in low gear, at the cost of 5km/h top speed.

Hard decisions.

I have been thinking about this. My bike currently generates approx 70RPM at the pedals under load (on the flat). I tested my current bike on two step hills yesterday. It got up one hill (no pedaling) in the lowest gear (1.31), but did not make it up the other hill (motor stalled.) however if I pedaled we got up the hill (with a very flat battery). 16T would give me the same low gear I currently have. 18T would give me an extra 5% in low gear, at the cost of 5km/h top speed.

Hard decisions.[/quote]

Yes it is a very difficult decision. And only you know your bike, motor and yourself forthat matter. I've had 2 setups using the same 171. The first bike I used it on I was running a Cyclone motor (360w) through the ctank chain. It sounds like this is what you are doing. On this setup I had a 42 crank and a 17T on the Nuvinchi. Honestly I only attempted 1 really big hill with it. IT was on a trail and there was a sign at each end of this hill that said "steep grade.....walk bike". Of those that I saw going up this hill I was the only one with an ebike. I was also the only one that made the climb without dismounting. The only problem I had was I was in the lowest range and the 171 with a manual shifter will not up-shift under load. My motor pulled with sase and I wish I had started at a higher range. BTW, I started my climb from a dead stop from the bottom of the hill. I have no idea what the grade was and it was a short hill. But based on how my little Cyclone was handling the climb it wouldn't have matter how long it was.

My second build with this hub runs the motor seperate from the crank and I've never tried a steep grade climb with it.

You know White Industries makes a dual sprocket freewheel. It's not cheap (about $60). And I think I saw it in a 17t/18t but not a 16t/17t. But might be worth looking into.

Bob

EDIT: Well they do make a 16t/18t but wow it's expensive. But you might find on on EBay for cheap. BTW, be sure to use an easy off freewheel.

http://www.staton-inc.com/store/products/16_18_Tooth_Freewheel_Right_hand_threads_Blue_Dual_ENO_sealed_Cartridge-644-25.html

EDIT #2: Here's a cheapo dual sprocket freewheel for ACS for only $18.50 including shipping. Might be a good inexpensive way to test what you need. Who knows it might even last longer then we think and it's a 16t/17t.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACS-Double-freewheel-single-speed-16-17-2-Speed-/120791839064?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1fc13158

Anyone else having problems installing the Desktop Application? I got the configuration editor to work, but when I try to install the desktop app, I get the following error:

"Developer Error. The following errors were found in your ini file:
1. Specified file not found: [MsiEngine] WinNTPath = supportfiles\\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe"

Anyone know what this means and how to fix it?

Edit: I got the program to install, now I am trying to get the program to locate the controller.

Edit #2: Okay, it looks like everything is working the way it should now. Can't wait to get it on the road!

Back