offroad cyclone

laufer

10 mW
Hi all
i just recived the new cyclone 1200w and im trying to install it in a test mtb, so i can go on developing my offroad ebike. The test bike is and old trek 950 singletrack, with a really strong frame full of space for all the elctric bits :)

The setup i will be using is the cyclone 1200W with ping v3 48v20a bateries, wich i still waiting for them to arrive.

Also i have in mind to change the stock cyclone gearing with something with more reduction. but i first will be testing the original config to see how it performs

These is the kit as it arrives
Foto_041609_002.jpg

That is the first place i tested
Foto_041709_001.jpg

Second config
Foto_041709_002.jpg

Thats the one I think I will use
Foto_041709_003.jpg

Also i loved to put de motor closer to the crank but it interfers with pedals, so without modifications wont work. If any can give me advice for better configuration will be really wellcome.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, when i got some more staff I will try to post it better.

thx all!!

Hi Laufer,

looks like a good test bike and kit to start with, i never really looked at cyclones until now but they seem like a very good kit for the price.
A couple of things that may help - if you want to get the motor closer to the crank you could look to see if what size bottom bracket you have, it looks like the cranks are the square taper variety and i know you can get a bottom bracket for square taper up to 128mm in width so that might help give you the clearence so the motor can go closer to the crank and the pedals might pass? how close is it now? and what length is your current bottom bracket? (width).
Also you might want to mount controller after you get your ping pack, you have a large triangle frame which always help with mounting batteries so i would advise to put your ping pack in the triangle and then put the controller wherever you have space also in the triangle, having the battery there will give you much better handling, the lower into the triangle near the bottom bracket the better.
if you can space the cranks to pass the motor i would say the second config is better leaving the triangle totally free for the batts and controller.
Hope it works out well, certainly should perform very well :)

Cheers,

D

I like the look of this Cylone kits myself i no not why more people don't use these. I have read that the freewheel crank is weakness of kit but this can be replaced with good quality unit. I anticipate good things for this setup i wish you well in finishing the setup.

hi Hoodlum,

yes they do seem to be very good starter kits, i never tried one but if i was just starting again i'd certainly have a bash with one. As you say replace the freewheel with an eno and your set - they are, or have been a little on the noisy side from what i've read but again nothing that cant be fixed with a little thought, i guess most people find a hub easiest to start with?
Tbh most of the RC crowd are pretty much using their spangly kit to make their own "cyclone" so it must be a good way to run an ebike.
If you look at Burties build in photos and video section thats a 1200w cyclone i believe and the performance is fairly impressive, i'm really looking forward to the new builds coming with similair setups but with 5kw :shock: they really should kick ass.

Cheers,

D

I like the RC setups also deecanio i very much like the recumpence drive system much better quality than cyclone kit but also much more cost to setup. I am not sold on the belt system for off road use i think time will show the belts will be weakness if used in muddy offroad condition i think chain all round will be solution, for road use belt are better i think, Harley Davidson use belt on some models with great success, no off road motocross bike use belts...food for thought there no? i also worry still about the throttle setup for the rc esc. I wish to use this setup but am cautious at this time and will wait for better alternative than these rc servo tester. I wish that mr fetcher has success with this interface system but i read recently it going not so good :-( In this waiting period i will watch and learn more from people here i hope haha.

Hi Hoodlum,

yes matts drive is the dogs nuts. it will beat the snot out of any cyclone and the quality is clear to see.
You could always use chain for the primary reduction on one of matts drives but most have gone for belt to keep noise down, i can't see it being too much of a problem as long as the drive is covered (and imho it needs to be covered for safety).
The throttle issues will get resolved im sure, i think Fechter has had a few issues with the setup he is testing onrather than the board itself, i'm thinking of getting a servo tester myself as a backup to Fechters board but i dont know how well they work, tbh controllers are major stumbler for most of our setups it seems.
If i were you i would hold tight for a few more weeks, then you will see all the rc users roll out their bikes and we'll know much more on what works well and what doesn't work at all :roll:

Cheers,

D

Laufer, when you get it all set, let us know what you think of it. I've never ridden one of those before.

I'd love to do one of these through the gears drive. The combination of low end torque and high speed cruising would be awesome. Keep us up-to-date as to how the bike's drive train holds up pushing over 2000 watts through it.

hi all, and thx for the comments!!

I also think these cyclone kits are good as a starter set, until now i never played with electric stuff, i do have quite experince with gas engines and enduro motorbikes... but ev's are very diferent, so i need to learn a lot :D

The instalation of the kit was really simple, the only issue i have found is the interference with the pedals, if i try to move the motor to the bottom. Maybe "eating" or machining the left pedal arm to make it thiner by 5 mm, will be enought.

For the battery and controler, I plan to install it inside the triangle as low as posible, but also i have to see for interferences.
Then also i wil try to fabricate an skid plate to protec engine and crankset, wich will recibe quite a lot of punishement in my riding.

Later if all goes well I will move the setup to DH bike. and even consider to go with a rc setup on it.

Thx again for the help!!!

Laufer,

BTW, how much did the V3 batteries cost?

snowranger said:
Laufer,

BTW, how much did the V3 batteries cost?

I was some thing like 950$ with the shiping to spain. I have not recived it yet, when i got them i will post some pics. Ping recomended it for the 1200W becouse they can deliver 60a cont.

hi Laufer,

nice one, looks like you know whats what, best of luck with the build.
If you talking about 5mm for the crank to pass definately look at the bottom bracket, they're cheap and i suggest a better fix than weakening the crank arm?
Other than that, plan looks good :) keep us posted.

Cheers,

D

thx decamino.
I have already mounted the larger axle that comes with the kit, but I dont know wich sice it is. I will check it later to see if I can find some thing larger. Thx for the idea!!

I didn't even know Ping had a v3 out yet. That will be the battery I get when I get the money I think.

I'm building this same kit right now. I independently settled on the almost exact same setup you're using then saw your original thread and that was enough to push me to order everything :D Thanks to you I found out about the V3 ping which was exactly what I was looking for.

The cyclone kit is here (ordered on a Thursday, showed up Monday!) but I'm also still waiting on my shiny new V3 Ping pack.

Unluckily the donor bike has a cartridge-type BB so I ordered new bearing caps to work with the cyclone-supplied spindle. Hopefully they will be here soon so I can play with different mountings.

Which chainring do you have the motor sprocket lined up with? When loose-fitting my hardware it looks like it should just barely fit if you go with the outer-most chainring. Would mounting the motor on the seat tube rather than the downtube give you better clearance?

BTW the cyclone spindle is 135mm not counting the threads

spindle.jpg

I just heard back from Ping this morning and they've just shipped my pack. Hopefully yours will also be on the way shortly, laufer!

Hi glv, good to hear from another cyclone user !!

My setup is also pre-fitted, motor will align with the extirior chainring nicely, but the clearance is quite thight with the left pedal arm. Well, in fact it interfears the way I installed. I see on your pics the spindle is a "little" bit bigger on one side, and today if i have some time i will try to flip the spindle and messure it carefuly to see wich side works best.

Also you can have a look of burtie's cyclone 1200, I think he is using the 1 pcs chainwheel kit wich has a clearly larger left side, with no interference problems at all.

And I have too recived a mail from Ping telling that batteries are ready to be shipped :D

Thx u all

laufer said:
I see on your pics the spindle is a "little" bit bigger on one side, and today if i have some time i will try to flip the spindle and messure it carefuly to see wich side works best.

I've been staring at these parts for a week and I hadn't noticed the asymmetry until you just pointed it out. When measuring it again it appears one side (the side with the ridge in the center portion of the spindle) may be a tad bigger than the other, though it's only by 1-2mm if at all. It's probably worth a try to flip it around since that would give you that 4mm you're looking for. Let us know how it works!

Hi Laufer, I see progress on your project, actually looks better the second configuration, the engine below will help lower the center of gravity and let Site on the triangle to the batteries.
1200W motor that seems the same size as my little 500W, you can put the means?
With the kit comes a 500W pedal shaft is longer on one end and let the action just so they do not interfere with the pedals, it is rare that this kit is not included.
Saludos

pakobike said:
1200W motor that seems the same size as my little 500W

They are close, but the 1200W unit is a big longer. Check out the picture in this thread to see them side-by-side. I think the 1200W unit is the same as the 650 it just runs at 48V instead of 24V.

if the spindle is the same for both kits that might explain why laufer's having trouble getting it to work with this motor. hmm...

hi all

well finally i think i have fitted it right :)
The bottom bracket spindle was not simetrical, I have mesure it carefully and found some little diference. I just installed the large side on the left and all aligned fine, and also i could lower a bit the motor.

Ill post you some pics, sorry for the quality...

thight clearance
Foto_042109_001.jpg

lower motor position
Foto_042109_002.jpg

thx for the help!!!

Hi all!!

The Ping V3 48v 20a is at home, now im guessing how to conect all the bits right. I have an idea off how it should be done, but if someone with experince can help me a bit, will be really apreciate.

I post some pictures from the new pack, and I indicated on it the way i think should be conected.

Thx a lot

v3 PAck and charger
DSC_9713.jpg

2A Charger
DSC_9712.jpg

V3 ping battery conections
DSC_9711copia.jpg

Charger plug
DSC_9714copia.jpg

Hi Laufer,

I'm really excited for you now that you have your ping pack :D
I'm sure one of the guys will help you wire it all up - maybe ask Bertie or another cyclone user, if you take a picture of all your kit on the floor im sure we'll be able to help you out.
Good luck - looking forward to hearing about your first ride 8)

Cheers,

D

Back