Options for fixing over filed axle dropout?

Make sure the TA are rotated in opposite directions as to remove any play in the axel.

It almost does not matter, what field you work in.

Stress riser is a location of stress concentrated to a specific area of a material. Whether it be the metal of an electric motor’s shaft, a bit of solder joining printed circuit board’s power connector or even the glass underneath the surface of a touch screen, all materials have a certain amount of force that they can withstand before they break. Now if you take the amount of force needed to cause damage to a material and apply it evenly across the entire surface you will find that the material can withstand much more than if you concentrate that force to one specific point. Any fracture or bend – really anything that weakens the material – creates what is called a stress riser. This place is one where concentrated stress will propagate resulting in a failure of the material’s structure. Gesrepair.com

The tube material is Reynolds 631 ... same alloy elements as Reynolds 853.
Both are Air-Hardening. Reynolds 631 adds work hardening for about 10% more strength.
I am assuming (infamous last words) that the dropouts are a similar alloy.
I hope they are not your last words,...but i doubt the dropouts are 631 !
CC, the frame makers, are very specific in stating..
“ 631 MAIN TUBES “

ZeroEm said:
Make sure the TA are rotated in opposite directions as to remove any play in the axel.

It almost does not matter, what field you work in.

Stress riser is a location of stress concentrated to a specific area of a material. Whether it be the metal of an electric motor’s shaft, a bit of solder joining printed circuit board’s power connector or even the glass underneath the surface of a touch screen, all materials have a certain amount of force that they can withstand before they break. Now if you take the amount of force needed to cause damage to a material and apply it evenly across the entire surface you will find that the material can withstand much more than if you concentrate that force to one specific point. Any fracture or bend – really anything that weakens the material – creates what is called a stress riser. This place is one where concentrated stress will propagate resulting in a failure of the material’s structure. Gesrepair.com

Good idea, I'll try to do that.

Hillhater said:
Both are Air-Hardening. Reynolds 631 adds work hardening for about 10% more strength.
“ 631 MAIN TUBES “

Can you direct me to that please? I'm unable to find it anywhere despite extensive Googling.

I've contacted both Genesis and Reynolds to confirm this.

Hillhater said:
“ 631 MAIN TUBES “

MaximilianMM said:
Can you direct me to that please? I'm unable to find it anywhere despite extensive Googling.
Note on the bottom RH of the label...
KkIFM3.jpg

Hillhater said:
MaximilianMM said:
Note on the bottom RH of the label...
KkIFM3.jpg

Ah. Cheers!

The welding solution was proving too complex so I've taken it to a frame builders to have the dropouts braze replaced with a sturdy suitable dropout.

Not a cheap option but I just wanted to get it done properly by someone who knows what they're doing.

Thanks everyone for all the help, really appreciate it. Fingers crossed it'll turn out well.

Very good, but hang on a second. Search the forum for examples of fabricated dropouts that use screw clamping as a method for preventing hub motor axle rotation. Sometimes called pinch bolt or clamping dropout. A very secure method. As long as you are replacing the dropout you might as well replace it with a good upgrade.

Some ideas, not sure if these links will work as I intend:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26444&start=25#p424356

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35654

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64495

99t4 said:
Very good, but hang on a second. Search the forum for examples of fabricated dropouts that use screw clamping as a method for preventing hub motor axle rotation. Sometimes called pinch bolt or clamping dropout. A very secure method. As long as you are replacing the dropout you might as well replace it with a good upgrade.

Some ideas, not sure if these links will work as I intend:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26444&start=25#p424356

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35654

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64495

Thank you. I think the ship has sailed as the bike is with the builder now.

I had a look at some of the pictures, they look good. So it's like a bolted on custom dropout/torque arm combination?

MaximilianMM said:
So it's like a bolted on custom dropout/torque arm combination?
Yes but I was thinking (as long as you are brazing in replacement dropouts), better even (using this photo for an example) the dropout can be shaped in such a way to be brazed to the seatstay/chainstay tubes, making them replacement (permanent) dropouts that happen to be the pinchbolt clamping design favorable to securely mounting a hubmotor. Torque arm utility is built-in to the design (axle is securely clamped into the dropout and not able to rotate as long as the pinchbolt is tight), no need for additional TA.
IMG-20110616-00127.jpg

(These dropouts would have to be shaped to fit to the stays for brazing. The tabs would be uneccessary but a derailler hanger and rack/fender mounting ears should be included)

Back