Parallel Charginging Lifepo4 Cells

dumbass

100 kW
I think in some form this question has been answered but I didn't find anything on it. I use GBS or ThunderSky lifepo4 20ah cells. I dismantle them from the 4 pack they come in and reassemble them into my own configurations of 8 cells per pack (24v 20ah) In this way I can use them on my wife's bike (24v) or my own bikes that are 48v.

I do not use an "off the shelf" BMS per say. What I do is build a Cellog8 wired to a 90db alarm into each pack. So weather charging or discharging if a cell or the complete pack goes out of the set peramitors I get an alarm.

Here's the problem; this cells are a PITA to keep properly balanced even with a string of single cell chargers. So I did a test using just 4 cells that were sitting all winter without being charged. I charged 2 of them (actually over charged them to 3.80v. And left the other 2 at 3.33v. I then connected all 4 cells in parallel. I took a quick reading and all cells were reading 3.34v. Not sure why that was but that's what they were. I then connected together 8 single cell chargers (2a per charger or 16a total). I then connected them to the first cell in the string of 4. Powered them up and within 2 hours each of them started turing off one by one. The longest one took 2 1/2 hours all the chargers to be turned off. The final voltage was 3.62v on every cell.

So this is no different them Ping building a 20ah pack from 5ah cells. What I did is for charging purpose is create a single 3.2v 80ah cell. My thought is to purchase larger 3.65v chargers. I have ordered 3.65v x 10a and a 3.65v x 20a. Charger.

My plan is to build my pack using Anderson connector (!6, 8 - and 8+). When charging I will have a mating Anderson connector that will parallel the cells. But when discharging I will remove the parallel connector and replace it with a series connector. Wiring this connector in a way so as to have the final neg. and pos. (giving 24v) available for connecting to the bike through a fuse.

OK, I invite someone to shoot holes in the idea so I can improve upon it. Please understand I DO NOT want an off the shelf BMS.

Bob

The explanation about the same voltage in all 4 different charged levels cells came from 2 ways.

Although you over volt to 3.80V, LiFePo4 cells goes quick right back to 3.65V at rest.

On the other hand, once the cells are connected in parallel, current will flow exponentially from the cells with higher SOC(state of charge) to the ones with lower SOC.

It's a viable idea from my view.

however, I did not understand exactly how will you charge both packs :roll:

No bms charge to 3.45~3.50v. Discharge to 3.1~3.0v. Lose some ah but a 7or more yr. battery. Conservative discharge rate. For ebike you need 20ah for these.

Back