PAS sensor for Sabvoton

amberwolf said:
Looks easy enough to make vented or scoop type covers around the back wheel area...but if you just add a rear rack with large regular bicycle cargo panniers (Topeak makes good ones, but there are cheaper versions), they would hide the motor without blocking all the airflow, *and* give you places to carry your stuff and your ebike battery / controller / etc. ;)

I was thinking about that. But the weight distribution is pretty much perfect with the batteries where they are. Maybe i'll find some slim army bags to cover it up...

To carry stuff i already bought the trailer from topeak which goes quite well with the bike. But that will interfere with bags again....

And if i'd get the CA3...
There'd be the problem of not being able to just pull a jumper to lock the bike into street legal pedelec-mode?
Can't really say "wait i'll have to quickly change some settings" if you're stopped.

flexodood said:
There'd be the problem of not being able to just pull a jumper to lock the bike into street legal pedelec-mode?
Can't really say "wait i'll have to quickly change some settings" if you're stopped.
It has three presets you can use, which can limit speed and power, and the aux input can be used with a resistive divider to change it to a "no limit" preset as long as your jumper is installed, but as soon as you pull the jumper it goes to the default limited mode.

The CA doesn't have to be on your handlebars either; it can go in hte bag with the controller, and just run the wires to the jumper where you want.

Or instead of a jumper you could use a magnet and reed swithc, etc. Lots of threads about that sort of thing.

flexodood said:
Although i don't understand much of what you describe it sounds a bit contradictory to me?

I'd love to see some detailed descripton of that "555 cirquit".
The two things you quoted are two differnet solutions because I didn't have enough info on your specific problem for the first one, so it is simply designed to enable or disable the throttle based on pedalling.

The second is to create a throttle signal (fixed or otherwise) from the pedalling.

To get an idea of what 555 timer circuits are, you can look at sites like these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/waveforms/555_timer.html

The section Monostable 555 Timer on that page is a starting point for the PAS circuit. The PAS pulse train would be used to keep resetting the timer so it's output doesn't go off. If the pulse train stops, the resetting stops, and the output goes off. Then whatever you've setup to happen on the output activates or deactivates, etc.

It's very versatile for such a little 8 pin chip that's not a microcontroller. :)

I just bit the bullet on the CA3-DP and a 24P-PAS sensor. As i understand it i can just setup the default to PAS only mode and i just need to turn the bike off/on to start up in that mode.
What i didn't find out is how many amps its 12v line can provide.
And if i need to waterproof the thing...

Better safe than sorry i guess.

... and a way to physically lock the throttle would be sweet. I was thinking, just drill a hole to push/pull a pin.

flexodood said:
I just bit the bullet on the CA3-DP and a 24P-PAS sensor. As i understand it i can just setup the default to PAS only mode and i just need to turn the bike off/on to start up in that mode.

Yes, you can do that. You can change modes via the front panel buttons, or via the aux-input (if you set up presets to be controlled that way).

FWIW, I recommend having the USB-serial cable so you can program it from the computer, rather than having to go thru all the onscreen menus. It makes it much easier to setup, by seeing all the settings on one screen, and not having to go back and forth on the CA itself over and over and over to find that one setting that causes the issue you're having at the moment. ;)

You can also save multiple setups as files, so it's much easier to experiment.

What i didn't find out is how many amps its 12v line can provide.

The CA doesn't have a 12v line. It has a 10v line for torque sensors requiring it, to supply a few mA--the higher the voltage yoru battery is, the lower that tiny available current will be, without blowing up the CA's internal regulator (which the whole CA runs from!).

There aren't any supply lines from the CA that can supply "amps" of current, regardless of which voltage you need, though.

For that, you need a DC-DC that runs from your battery voltage to whatever voltage output you want. If you're looking for lighting power, for stuff like automotive or motorcycle/moped lights, get one that outputs 13.6v, as that's the typical voltage for those, not 12.0v. Get one that can do a fair bit more current than you need, so it doesn't have to run near it's limits, and if you add stuff later you have power for it.

And if i need to waterproof the thing...
It's relatively water resistant...but it's not IP65 waterproof. ;) If you don't have it on the handlebars, then it doesnt' matter--whatever bag/box it's in will protect it. If it's on the bars, it'll handle typical light rain, etc. If you get deluges or floods, or ride in rivers, you might need to do some extra work on it.

flexodood said:
... and a way to physically lock the throttle would be sweet. I was thinking, just drill a hole to push/pull a pin.
Perhaps, if the plastic body is strong enough to handle that, and there's space in there. They're all made a little different, so you'd have to open yours up to see what's inside at the point you want to drill the hole, etc.

If you just want to make it so it doesn't respond to the throttle in the "PAS only" mode, just disable the throttle entirely in that mode's preset.

flexodood said:

On my present bike I am using a CA3. I have set it to always start on preset 1 when switched on. Preset 1 is programmed to legal limit. Mine set to 240w and 25kph. Throttle is set to 6kph as that is allowed in Netherlands (To help old farts like me get moving). I added a push button kill switch, so should I get pulled, I thumb the switch that resets the CA3 to preset 1,
Although, having said that, in 4 years, I have never been stopped, but then again, I don't go stupid when people are about, or in towns.

Just finished my first build using a sabvoton 100a controller can only access via the android app and was trying to figure out if I need to turn on pas anywhere as there is a plug with 3 wires could be 2 from controller clearly says pas so seems a bit odd that if you connect a crank sensor and magnet you cant use it anyway just dosent make sense although I find the explanations of what everything means pretty sketchy at best. Seems theres plenty of replies to posts where the knowledge is already there but I personally posted an urgent request for advice on settings and no one bothered so I done a hall test again randomly changed things and pure luck it seems to have solved it. But no pas on a controller that has wires for such is nonsensical esp when your paying £300 and then another 50 for the dongle wow, only way round it then is to ghost pedal could do it even with no chain on the bike bet it wouldn't be noticed as long as your on a low setting and not doing 50mph should be ok, also if you have stealth stick with the normal seat not mc one as the police will probably think it's a mc but ridden illegally with no plates etc.

Slow down a little, and try shorter sentences or more punctuation. This makes things clearer and easier to read, which makes it much more likely to get a useful response from helpers. :) (In my experience, the harder someone has to work to help, the less likely it is they will do so)

Stealth69 said:
Just finished my first build using a sabvoton 100a controller can only access via the android app and was trying to figure out if I need to turn on pas anywhere
What specific settings are available in the app you have?

"Sabvoton" has become a generic name for certain higher power controllers, made by several companies. Each uses different designs, software, etc., so each has different capabilities. You'll have to provide whatever info you have about yours and what it can do and how, for us to know what you've got access to.

as there is a plug with 3 wires could be 2 from controller clearly says pas so seems a bit odd that if you connect a crank sensor and magnet you cant use it anyway
Is it two wires, or three? It makes a significant difference, as a PAS sensor requiring 5v to drive it won't work on a two-wire connector. Most PAS sensors require power.

If it is two wires you'd need to find a compatible two-wire sensor.

There are even four-wire PAS sensors (taht are still just for cadence), and then there are PAS/torque sensors with even more connections; each of them will require a compatible connection on a compatible controller.

just dosent make sense although I find the explanations of what everything means pretty sketchy at best.
Which explanations? Those from the manufacturer or seller? Or those found online somewhere? If you link to what you are referring to we may be able to help figure it out.

Seems theres plenty of replies to posts where the knowledge is already there but I personally posted an urgent request for advice on settings and no one bothered
On what forum? (you didn't post one here, unless you deleted it, or you have signed up under multiple names (which is not allowed).

As for "urgent" requests, you should keep in mind that people read and post whenever they happen to have time, so it could be hours, days, or weeks before someone even sees any particular post, much less has time to read it, figure out what might help, and reply. ;)

At least here on ES, there aren't any paid support people, and no one is here 24/7.

so I done a hall test again randomly changed things and pure luck it seems to have solved it.
What kind of "hall test"? I can't imagine any test that would just change whether your PAS sensor is active or not, unless your controller just happens to autodetect connected hardware whenever such a test is run, and until that is done it doesn't evne know there is a sensor attached. That isn't something I've ever seen in any controller of any type.

But no pas on a controller that has wires for such is nonsensical
There's been a number of controllers (and other devices) posted just here on ES (and others elsewhere on teh web) that have wiring and connectors for functions that don't work on them (probably disabled at the factory). I have one here that has wires for hall sensors, but it does not ever respond to them, regardless of how the system is wired or setup--it only ever works in sensorless mode. :/

Nonsensical? Sure. But it happens. :(

The sell ebikes on Alibaba with torque sensors, MQCON Sabvoton controllers and CA3. Looks like this is the answer to the discussion.

https://german.alibaba.com/p-detail/New-62446385232.html

Back