Ping Charger Replacement?

john7700

100 W
The Happy Valley ................Western Mass. USA
Hi gang, been a long time since I have had to come here with a question. Over 5,000 miles now and thanks to all the info I have garnered here I have not had a problem I couldn't fix lately but it looks like the charger that came with my Ping 36 V Life is done. I really can't wait on the slow boat and need a replacement ASAP.

The closest I could find at a reasonable price domestically so far is this https://www.electricscooterparts.com/lifepo4batterychargers.html

Battery Charger for 36 Volt 2.5Ah-18Ah LiFePO4 and Li-ion Battery Packs
Sans® 42 Volt 2 Amp battery charger for 36 Volt 2.5Ah through 18Ah LiFePO4 and Li-ion battery packs. 100-120VAC input power. Includes full 12 month replacement warranty.
Voltage: 42V Output (For 36V Battery Packs)
Amperage: 2 Amps

The ping says output 45V and this one says 42 V and the one listed is 2 amp Vs. Pings 2.5. Will this still work OK for my battery?

Any other suggestions from somewhere within the US?

Thanks all.

The charge voltage needs to be the same. If the charge voltage is lower, it will not fully charge your battery. If the amperage of the replacement charger is lower, it will just take longer to charge. - Alternatively, you could look for a charger with more Amps output for a faster charge.

Sunthing28 on ebay has a pretty good 3amp charger, which is quieter than the small Ping 2 amp chargers and is set to the right voltage for Pings 60V. Around 41 dollars plus shipping. That's for 48V LiFP04. I imagine he has a similar one for 36V nominal 12S LiFP04.

chvidgov.bc.ca said:
Sunthing28 on ebay has a pretty good 3amp charger, which is quieter than the small Ping 2 amp chargers and is set to the right voltage for Pings 60V. Around 41 dollars plus shipping. That's for 48V LiFP04. I imagine he has a similar one for 36V nominal 12S LiFP04.

And is the SunThing 3amp charger adjustable?

I appreciate any info you have on these… IAN :)

chvidgov.bc.ca said:
I don't know if you can adjust the voltage on these chargers, or any other settings. Nothing on the outside of the case.

I received one of these recently, however I haven't received the 48v LifePo4 battery to try it out on.

I did however check the output, and it is 60.1 volts exactly (no load). I will try and have a look at how it comes apart (open it up) and have a look to see if there is any adjustable potentiometers.

What I don't understand, if the LifePo4 battery has a BMS, doesn't the BMS limit the charge voltage to 58.8v max, regardless if the charger puts out 60v…?

IAN.

You will still need to get a new charger, one adjusted to the voltage ping uses on the signalab bms. Only then will it fully balance. Ping 36v bms will balance the pack at 45v.

But meanwhile, to get going and have a spare you can leave at work, or use in a pinch, just find the cheapest deal on a lithium charger you can find, that will ship in a few days.

You can charge to a lower voltage most of the time with no harm done, and even potentially better for lifespan. But you still need a charger that will make the bms balance, to use at least once a week or so.

42v will be fully charged for 12s lifepo4. If it's not out of balance, (because you don't hammer your pack) a 42v charger will fully charge the pack. FWIW, lifepo4 is more tolerant of overcharge than lico, so ping charges high enough to be certain the thing gets balanced.

Re the 60v 58v comment. Most other lifepo4 will have a bms that balances a 48v pack at 58v. But ping bms balances at 60v. full charged 16s lifepo4 is 56v. That surface charge, overcharge, vanishes in the first 2 inches the motor runs, and either way you start out with 56v max, and less if your cells are tired or just shitty.

Lico and limn are treated different, no overcharging them to balance. But end of charge is a few v more, so you might start out with 56.4v or up to 58.8v depending on the chemistry and cycle strategy. Balancing slightly undercharged may be what the bms does.

Thanks for all the reply's. From what Dogster states, I should really be getting the voltage up to 45 so the two listed so far that will do that are the Mean Well that looks really nice but is kind of pricey (unfortunately, that matters), or what appears to be an OEM replacement that Mundo listed ( http://sdelectricbike.com/Battery_CHARGERS.html ) that I'm leaning toward out of those listed. Wish I could go for the faster one but I plug in every night and the 20AH usually gets me through the day no problem, but there certainly have been those times. I also received a nice PM from Bigchainring but may not have responded to him in time.

If any one else has any more suggestions for a reasonably priced domestic source I would appreciate it. I have an EE friend coming over tonight to see if we can do CPR on my current on but I think it is trashed and will probably have to order something tonight.

Thanks again gang.

Back