PING (KINGPAN) LIFEPO4 CHARGER FAILURE (RED LED ON)

i would like to build that slow start circuit sometimes. i think that helps prevent the BMS mosfet from overheating because it doesn't try to push a ton of current through the mosfet as it is turning on as these big chargers can do with the big caps on the output.

mailed you some parts. 7 days.

You send already ???
It is so nice of you !
Please pm for the bank things :)

Dear dnmun,

I received your compounds today. Perfectly well packed :)
I've done the reparation already on one charger as the other one is still at my working place.
And guess what... it worked perfectly, the charger is working back.

I'm confident the it will be the same for the other one.
Again, thank you for your knowledges, your time, your kind help and presence, your good will, it has been perfect.

So maybe now I have to change the name of the post and add "SOLVED"

I wish you all the best !

Fred

the word is fixed. you did it, not me.

nothing fancy about the shipping either, just taped some transistors and resistors to the envelope. i thought they would charge more for the envelope.

It seems I've not the rights to edit the topic of the posts to add "FIXED" :?

did the second charger work or did you put that off since you got at least one working already?

that's what i do. once i get one working, the other just waits until the fixed one fails, then the second one gets fixed.

I planned to do the reparation this evening (I brought back the second charger) but I have to go now to my yoga first :)
In any case I will do it this week, I'll keep you informed. Thanks

Hello,

It seems I concluded too fast :)
I've done the second reparation today and the two leds are now on when plugged in.
The reason why I assumed it was working back. I did not connect last time to the battery as I was sure it was fixed and as the battery was already full.
Today I tried with the two of them. The leds are now red and green when plugged in to the main but when connecting to the battery, no spark anymore but... nothing :) the ventilator doesn't spin at all.
I suppose something else is broken.
Anyway, it is fun to try.

At the same time there is 58.6 V at the output and a little noise (grrrrrrzzzz like) when listening carefully, but the vent is not working and the green led stays green.
Maybe I must empty a bit the battery and test again...

it sounds like a bee? i have heard that too when they don't work and i think it is an oscillation in the feedback loop on the TL494 controller. i never understood how to isolate the source of it.

you can measure the correct voltage on the output but it does not push current. or current cannot be measured because the pulses of current are so short.

the fan runs off the 12V that comes from the voltage regulator through that transistor next to the 8 pin op amp and 100 ohm current limiting resistor for fan speed.

there is a set of 4 small diodes right behind the transformer that come off of the second set of windings in the secondary of the transformer. those 4 diodes make a rectifier diode bridge to create the current used to power the electronics in the 'back end' of the charger.

put the black probe on the negative output or on the big wire shunt which is also at ground, and probe the ends of the four diodes there to see if you can see 20V DC while the charger is powered up.

edit, there should be voltage there since the TL494 is running the oscillator so maybe there is a short somewhere between there and the 12V regulator over on the side of the case. the trace that carries the current goes under the choke so sometimes the choke will melt through the coating over the trace and short it out so there is no 12V coming from the regulator to power the fan. so look for a short between the place where the choke is soldered to the board and the trace underneath it that goes over to the voltage regulator. you should be able to check continuity with your meter.

Sorry I'm really over worked those days.
I measured between the diodes and the ground and there is about 0.6 or max 2 volts DC according to the one measured.
I don't think there is shortcut, I still have to watch.
I do it as soon as I can. Thanks !

Hello,

I want to know if you have repaired the charger.
I've here a charger that will not work. The problem is it stops after it starts at the beginning.

Can someone tell me how to solve this problem?

Kind regards,

Joost

Hi dear Joost,

Unfortunately not, I thought the first repair was ok but finally no current from the charger.
After this I had to concentrate on other works and nothing moved since :( (my only fault) I hope to work again on it soon.

Best regards and good luck.

Fred

Hello,

Can i ask some questions about my charger?
The reason I need support is because my charger will not work.
The charger is setup for 60V (20Slifepo4) and I have a 48V (16slifepo4) battery.
When I connect it to 230V I measure about 7/12DCV on the output side whiteout connecting the battery. When I connect my battery the charger will not startup.

To make it easier to understand the situation here are some photos.

Back