Possible to change freehub of Q128C?

kurtster

1 mW
I'm thinking of installing my currently unused Q128C hub in my wife's bike, but looks like there might be a complication due to larger freehub. Therefore, I'd like to know whether it's possible to remove the Q128C's freehub and swap it with the smaller one that's on the stock wheel. Both are Shimano compatible.
I've never removed a freehub before, so have no idea what tools are required.

No, I mean the freehub. Her bike has a Shimano 7-speed cassette (and a corresponding wider chain). During a trial fit today, I discovered that when that cassette is placed on the Q128 (with spacers to take up the empty space), an extra washer is still needed on the drive-side axle to allow clearance of the chain between the smallest cog and the frame. Doing so moves the already-dished wheel off centre, which means further dishing.
If I were able to use the smaller freehub, then further dishing wouldn't be needed.

Anyway, yeah, I don't think it's possible either. Maybe the non-cassette H version is what I need?

Hey, that's an idea. Might need to spread the dropouts, but might work.

Oh, and regarding spacers when the cassette is narrower than the freehub, must they always go on the outside of the largest cog? In other words, can they placed between the smallest cog and the locking ring?

Back