Possible to hook up a bafang mid drive motor with a new controller from CSC?

Cyclomania

10 kW
So I have a BBS02. I am thinking about changing the controller to a more powerful 35amp controller that will be hooked to the bike externally, and fastened outside(externally) of the motor. To one of the tubes or something like other controllers are fastened.

Anyone has done this and know if it is possible to hook up this way? That way I could overvolt it a bit and run more current through the BBS02. Not burning the controller with for example a 52-60 volt battery or so.

Havent seen any threads specifically about CSC controllers paired with Bafang mid drives.

So would be helpful if anyone could give input on that. Other people have used KT controllers maybe?

Or wat controller was used? Dont find any threads on specific controllers.

Last edited:
Anyone knows how much amps this motor could take without barbecue?
Mine peaked at a little over 1400w on 52v or 28 amps. Pushing it much higher will certainly fry the stator. I cooked my bbshd at 4000w at 52v. The magnets came out of the rotor.

Havent seen any threads specifically about CSC controllers paired with Bafang mid drives.

So would be helpful if anyone could give input on that. Other people have used KT controllers maybe?

Or wat controller was used? Dont find any threads on specific controllers.
You would connect it like any other sensored BLDC controller, so any thread would apply, including the ones using KT controllers.

Mine peaked at a little over 1400w on 52v or 28 amps. Pushing it much higher will certainly fry the stator. I cooked my bbshd at 4000w at 52v. The magnets came out of the rotor.
Ah interesting but it was able to handle this load then? 28*52 or 30*48 might be the ballpark. You mean your controller was max current 28 right, and this was ok?

You would connect it like any other sensored BLDC controller, so any thread would apply, including the ones using KT controllers.
Ah ok. That simple huh.

I guess the old controller needs to be left in place as a cover for the motor. Not quite sure how to drag the other wires out of there. But probably just rearrange them in some way. Or what could use as a cover instead of that old ontroller? I believe the bafang controllers are stuck inside their covers.

I mean, the wires from the new controllers should ideally go in through the holes where the wires from the old controller went out through its cover ?

He does what I am aiming to do in this video below. But I dont quite understand how, or in what hole :) , he puts it in.

I guess only way into this motor is via the hole where the old controller wires went out. Or perhaps he drilled a new hole in the new cover. Any input here would be much appreciated on what would work best. New hole or old hole :). Because I figure he is using the same cover, since that looks and works the best for the motor. But because the only way into that cover is via new hole or removing the old wires to make room, I am not sure what would be best.

Last edited:
Ah ok. That simple huh.

I guess the old controller needs to be left in place as a cover for the motor. Not quite sure how to drag the other wires out of there. But probably just rearrange them in some way. Or what could use as a cover instead of that old ontroller? I believe the bafang controllers are stuck inside their covers.

I mean, the wires from the new controllers should ideally go in through the holes where the wires from the old controller went out through its cover ?

He does what I am aiming to do in this video below. But I dont quite understand how, or in what hole :) , he puts it in.

I guess only way into this motor is via the hole where the old controller wires went out. Or perhaps he drilled a new hole in the new cover. Any input here would be much appreciated on what would work best. New hole or old hole :). Because I figure he is using the same cover, since that looks and works the best for the motor. But because the only way into that cover is via new hole or removing the old wires to make room, I am not sure what would be best.

Ah ok. That simple huh.

There are posts you can find easily with the search (per 2old’s advice). I see folks prying out the potting, but there are also conversion kits, like ASI that come with a cover.

Back