Power Inverter use with 48 Volt Li Battery Pack

Just_Ed

10 kW
I got one of those unsolicited 'we found something you might be interested in', emails from Amazon. Usually, I just delete them, but this one did catch my eye, because of the potential for using it with my RV.

Any RV'ers out there using anything like this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TU6MDM?ref=em_1p_4_ti&ref_=pe_27541410_481156210

I went through a number of the reviews, and did find one that was using a 10000 watt version, with no stated problems.

So in a pinch, or if we wanted to dry camp....

If it's possible, then I will delve into the specs more, to see what I can 'learn'
From what I read, I would need a dc-dc converter, to bring it down to 12 volts nominal.

Q. Can I use the above inverter, with my 48 volt battery pack ?
https://www.techdirectclub.com/48-volt-nissan-leaf-lithium-ion-mini-power-pack-battery-3-5-kwh-66ah-g2/

Q. If so, just how long can I expect my BP to last before needing a recharge.
( I know this is a very subjective question, and hard to answer without more detail).

The best I know to say, is during any of our trips, using 30 Amp, shore power, we only use our lights, TV, microwave. We use the 120 volt outlets for the coffee pot, small fan, laptop/phone chargers, and only the occasional 1500 watt heater, for a short time.

My A/C unit is 12000 BTU's.

The fridge and water heater as well, but they can both run on propane.
Also the 1500 watt heater is more for spot heat. We can use the propane heater for whole house heat.

Thanks for any feedback
Ed

Pretty sure the answer is no.
I use 6s batteries, two in series to drive my bike or several in parallel to power a 24 volt inverter. Also use a 24 to 12 volt dc/dc converter to power the 12 volt system.
The whole thing is powered by a 260w solar panel. Been camped in the desert all winter and only started my generator when I need to run my circular saw.

Hwy89 said:
Pretty sure the answer is no.
I use 6s batteries, two in series to drive my bike or several in parallel to power a 24 volt inverter. Also use a 24 to 12 volt dc/dc converter to power the 12 volt system.
The whole thing is powered by a 260w solar panel. Been camped in the desert all winter and only started my generator when I need to run my circular saw.

Thanks for the input.

Upon further sluething, I came across this one. Maybe it's a better fit.

https://www.amazon.com/AIMS-Power-5000-Watt-Inverter/dp/B00IPWNU3Y/ref=pd_di_sccai_1/132-6121787-4384133?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00IPWNU3Y&pd_rd_r=a1a63c30-f823-4a47-93c2-d1a10e4eab78&pd_rd_w=K83aS&pd_rd_wg=g3qFm&pf_rd_p=e532f109-986a-4c2d-85fc-16555146f6b4&pf_rd_r=4ANG5MKKST39GSEFZKJ0&refRID=4ANG5MKKST39GSEFZKJ0&th=1

I'm thinking about getting a generator for the RV, or maybe using my Li BP.
The generator I'm looking at, is less money, but many places, we stay, don't allow generators after/around 10 pm. It gets plenty hot at times, so some cooling would be nice. Therefore using this idea, which is cleaner, and quieter. Just not sure it will hold up for any usable time.

I'd stay away from Modified Sine Wave inverters. Many electronic devices will not like the modified power.

BVH said:
I'd stay away from Modified Sine Wave inverters. Many electronic devices will not like the modified power.

Thanks for the feedback. You've help to educate me on the difference.
I'm now curious as to what is in my RV.

Your AC unit will draw between 1200 and 1600 Watts with a higher spike each time the compressor kicks on. The individual outlets on that inverter are rated at 1500 watts so first thing to do would be to make a “Y” adaptor and plug into 2 of the outlets.
You haven’t said what the amp hour capacity of your battery is but don’t expect to run the air conditioning very long.
I dry camp a lot, but like most of the others I’ve learned to rough it and do without many of the AC appliances. My refrigerator and water heater run off propane. I use the inverter to charge my ebikes and small appliances like the TV, vacuum cleaner and coffee grinder. I don’t even try to use the air conditioning but do use several 12 VDC fans.
Once in a while I crank up the generator to cook something in the microwave or run a power saw but I rarely meet the manufacturers recommended monthly run time.
I enjoy the freedom of this lifestyle but it may not be for everyone. If you want to try it, you may have to lower your expectations a little.

Hwy89 said:
Your AC unit will draw between 1200 and 1600 Watts with a higher spike each time the compressor kicks on. The individual outlets on that inverter are rated at 1500 watts so first thing to do would be to make a “Y” adaptor and plug into 2 of the outlets.
You haven’t said what the amp hour capacity of your battery is but don’t expect to run the air conditioning very long.
I dry camp a lot, but like most of the others I’ve learned to rough it and do without many of the AC appliances. My refrigerator and water heater run off propane. I use the inverter to charge my ebikes and small appliances like the TV, vacuum cleaner and coffee grinder. I don’t even try to use the air conditioning but do use several 12 VDC fans.
Once in a while I crank up the generator to cook something in the microwave or run a power saw but I rarely meet the manufacturers recommended monthly run time.
I enjoy the freedom of this lifestyle but it may not be for everyone. If you want to try it, you may have to lower your expectations a little.

We're not dry campers as a rule. But we have been considering it because we've been invited to do so on a few occasions.
The A/C is not essential, just a nicety. At our age, prolonged heat is not our friend.
We do have pets to consider as well.
The battery pack I have is 66 Ah.

I have one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Sine-Wave-Car-Power-Inverter-2000W-48V-to-120V-60Hz-LCD-Display-US-Stock/113229077250?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

48v inverter.JPG

I tested it with my microwave oven (1750w) and a 1500w heater with a 52v battery. Works great. This one has a pure sine wave output, so you can run any kind of load.

If your Leaf battery is 3.5kwh and the air conditioner is 1.2kw, then it could run about 3 hours before completely draining the battery. High loads like air conditioning or heaters are best done with something else. For 2 minutes of microwave oven, no problem. It's bad practice to completely discharge your battery on a regular basis.

Back