Power limiting effects on motor

AlwaysOn37

1 µW
Hi everybody ! :)
I'm new to this forum, and this is my 1st post.

I'm in the process of building a new ebike (I'm the customer, not the actual builder).
I'm going for:
QSmotor 4kw 273 40H V3 motor (72v, 48-144v optional range)
http://www.cnqsmotor.com/en/article_read/QS Motor 4000W 273 40H V3 E-bike Spoke Hub Motor/260.html
Sabvoton (Sine wave) controller SSC96100
http://www.cnqsmotor.com/en/article...usoidal Programable Motor Controller/537.html
In a vectorebike clone frame.

It's going to a 96v (24s), and 16p setup.
I can build it with a 2900mAh Panasonic NCR18650PF (3C max, 46.4ah\4.4kw pack)
Or,
With a 3400mAh Panasonic NCR18650B (2C max, 54.4ah\5.2kw pack).

The guidelines for this build is maximum long term reliability, preferably with as much range and charging cycles as possible.
Going to use a satiator to charge to 80% max and try not to discharge below 20% pack capacity.

My question is:
Assuming I build it with the 3400mah cells (2C max) cells, I don't want to stress it beyond it's "comfort" (max cycle life expectancy) zone, i.e. 1C.
So, 1C of of a 5.2kw pack is 5.2kw.
The motor is rated for 4kw sustained, and 8kw peak power draw.
If I limit the power draw to 5.2kw (1C) in the controller, can it damage the motor (either short or long term wise) ?
I'm aware this setup will decrease my initial acceleration a bit, but since typical peak power draw usually only lasts for 2-3 seconds at most, it will most probably translate to, say a (roughly) a 11-12 seconds 0-60mph acceleration (instead of 10 seconds).
It's still very fast, and I can live with that compromise.
My main concern is the motor.
I've heard of DC motors that got damaged if they didn't get their full peak wattage...

Anybody here with ACTUAL experience with that kind of limiting setup ?
And\or experience with the above mentioned QS motor ?

AlwaysOn37 said:
If I limit the power draw to 5.2kw (1C) in the controller, can it damage the motor (both short and long term wise) ?

No. Everything will be less stressed and last longer.

On my bike, I have a 3 speed switch that changes the current limit between 3 settings. If I want long range, I use the low setting. If I want to race, I use the high setting. I find it nice to have the switchable settings. A short burst of a few seconds is not something that would harm your batteries. When the burst is long enough for the temperature to rise, then it becomes significant.

Not sure what the programming options are on the Sabvoton, but I'm sure you can change the limit in software.

Back