Powering lights with Cycle Analyst / Phaserunner

81style

10 mW
Friends-
I'm sketching out a new 72v build and am currently investigating lighting solutions. I'm looking at the Supernova m99 line of headlights and tail lights. Specs as follows...

M99 MINI PURE-45 headlight: 7.5w/12v
M99 TAIL LIGHT-45: 0.4w/12v

Ideally I'd like to power both lights from the Cycle Analyst aux power tap, but I'm not certain whether the CA can handle the load. Conversations around ES indicate the CA and output 1A to accessories, which would be great. However, according to page 50 of the CA manual, a 72v system like I'm planning will result in the CA only being able to deliver 14.2mA. Am I reading these tables correctly, or should I be looking at the 12v numbers instead (since I'd be wiring in a DC-DC converter between the CA and the lights)?

If powering via the Cycle Analyst is a no-go, is there a way get power from the Phaserunner? Documents for the v1 Phaserunner allude to this, but I don't any such feature for v2.

If I have to resort to a direct battery tap, is there a recommeded safe way to do so that doesn't confuse the power consumption metrics displayed by the Cycle Analyst?

Guidance appreciated.

81style said:
...according to page 50 of the CA manual, a 72v system like I'm planning will result in the CA only being able to deliver 14.2mA.
The tables in the Guide are only for regulated +5V and +10V power.
The current limit for unregulated Vbatt at the accessory plug is 1A.

81style said:
If powering via the Cycle Analyst is a no-go, is there a way get power from the Phaserunner? Documents for the v1 Phaserunner allude to this, but I don't any such feature for v2.
That feature was discontinued.

81style said:
If I have to resort to a direct battery tap, is there a recommeded safe way to do so that doesn't confuse the power consumption metrics displayed by the Cycle Analyst?
I don't know what 'confuse the power consumption' means - but you can just put a straight-thru M/F JST6 connector extension an inch or so long in between the CA-DP cable and mating connector of the PR - just tap pins 1 and 2 to get Vbatt and Gnd for your converter power. Nice and pluggable. That will get the converter off the bars and back with the PR where it's out of the way. It's really CA power, so it's switched by the PR but without the extra wire runs. The only real difference is that it won't have the auto-resetting PTC fuse feature.

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I'd be well within the 1A threshold.

teklektik said:
I don't know what 'confuse the power consumption' means

I read in another post that the point at which you tap the battery main will affect how the CA displays power consumption. That member was using a shunt with a non-Grin controller, so I was fairly certain the issues described in that post wouldn't apply to my situation. Thought I'd ask just to be safe though.

Thanks again!

Back