PRODECO Phantom XReview - 4 months - 300 Miles

Mtek

100 µW
I ordered the Phantom X through an Ebay seller, Bike-smiths. After the original order placement I never dealt with, or heard from them again, instead all interactions were with Daniel at Prodeco.
My order was placed in mid may and after multiple delays of “waiting for parts” or “we couldn’t get ahold of you”, I finally received the bike in mid July.

It came almost fully assembled, only the seat needed to be attached and the handlebars straightened and tightened. The battery was even fully charged a slid right into place.
Unfortunately, while unpacking the bike and doing the assembly I was pulled way and didn’t complete it till later in the night. When I rolled the bike out I couldn’t pedal. It was then I noticed the crank/pedal assembly was bent, binding the chain against the frame. It happened during shipping because the bike folds and it bent the assembly
I contacted Daniel at Prodeco and he told me to take it to my local bike shop he would ship out the part and pay for the repair, unfortunately during the summer months my bike shop runs about a week for a repair so it was almost August when I 1st got to ride the bike for the 1st time.

1st Impression, this bike is HUGE, its heavy and its solid, it’s understandable that Prodeco would warrant this bike for 2 years as it’s very well built and very solid.

The 1st full weekend of use I developed a flat rear tire. Short of a full NASCAR pit crew allow yourself a lot of time to fix a flat on the rear tire.
The manual that comes with bike is from the Prodeco Storm, with a 1 page addendum explaining that the Phantom X manual is still under production, unfortunately the Storm is a totally different bike with a front hub motor and a battery pack that is hung from the seat tube. The Phantom X is a rear motor and the battery is supported on a platform mounted on the rear frame, making removal of the rear wheel to fix a flat a real production. So the manual that came with the bike wasn’t useful.
Also because the rims are a deeper style, the inner tube needs to be an extended valve type, and even then it’s tricky to fill with air, I needed to use needle nose pliers to hold the stem to fill it with air. Luckily my bike shop had 1 extended valve tube in stock and I ordered 2 additional for future use.

One of the 1st additions I made was to add a rear platform/rack and trunk bag, mainly because there’s no place on the frame to install a water bottle cage. The bag actually helps conceal the enormous 19” long battery that extends out behind the seat post. It took me several attempts to find a seat post mounted rack that would fit without hitting the battery or making the seat too high. I’m almost 6’ and I could see this being an issue for a smaller person. The bag has been useful on longer trips as I’ve carried the charger as well as snacks, water and tools with me.
The 2nd addition was the speedometer/computer. Note to newbies wireless computers won’t work on electric bikes as there’s too much electrical interference !!

Performance – I’ve ran the bike through 10 battery cycles, the last 8 have been with a speedometer in place. Although Prodeco stated I should get about 40 miles per charge, my range has been from about 25 miles, for unassisted riding, to 35 miles with “battery management” assisted pedaling. The very best I did was 38 miles.

Speed – without pedaling on a flat grade the fastest the Bike has gone is 16-17 MPH, with medium tempo pedaling I’ve increased it to about 19. The gear ratios are a bit undersized and the highest gear full pedaling got me to about 22 MPH.
A note about the gears ratios (please note I’m not a gear head or engineer, I simply like riding bikes, so excuse me if my terminology is incorrect) gears 1 through 3 are all but useless while the motor is being used. Without the use of power they make perfect sense to push this heavy bike, but while the motor is engaged they’re useless.
Gears 4 and 5 are useful if the motor speed is at about 50% use, gears 6 & 7 are the only gears which allows you to add any real speed.
If I had 1 design request I’d ask prodeco to provide better gear ratio’s to allow for more pure pedal power above and beyond the motors abilities.

Comfort - The bike is comfortable, it takes bumps well, has shock absorbers on the front forks and the seat post. It can get a little bouncy at times, and it rides heavy, almost like a scooter some times but does give you nice, bike-like control and feel too
As I’ve gotten used to the feel and nuances of the bike my mileage / performance has increased.
The bike has nice pick-up it doesn’t seem to bog down under power, even on hills it shows very little loss of torque. I’ve learned to pedal from a complete stop, build up speed and then engage the motor, this seems to extend the battery’s range a bit.
I’m a larger individual 6’ 220 and I’m sure a lighter person would get better mileage and speed

The handlebar has a 3 light power indicator, green, yellow and red to indicate power left in the battery. The manual states yellow means 60-10% power is left …. It’s definitely closer to 10%, if you hit the yellow light you better be headed back home because this bike is exhausting to pedal without any power.

It’s Mid November now and I’ve taken what I assume will be my last ride of the season since its freezing here now. I have 10 battery cycles and I’m continually getting 30-35 miles per cycle. I’ve enjoyed riding the last few months and found myself going out riding, even if for shorter jaunts then I did riding my road bike or hybrid. It’s a fun addition to my bike collection.
I’m a little upset that it took Prodeco so long to get this bike to me. I’m not in a warm climate like Florida so my “season” is all but done. If your going to order I’d suggest being patient and plan on about 2 months for delivery
I hope this review helps. I’ve read a lot of posts on this board and the knowledge you guys have is incredible. I’m simply a bicyclist that was looking for a pre-built, high quality, low maintenance electric bike, and I think I found that in the Phantom X I hope to continue testing other bikes in the future and I feel this was a good 1st purchase of an electric bike for me

Mtek said:
Also because the rims are a deeper style, the inner tube needs to be an extended valve type, and even then it’s tricky to fill with air, I needed to use needle nose pliers to hold the stem to fill it with air.
If it helps, you can also use small zipties around the valve rigtht at the base exiting the rim, rather than needlenose. I often do this even on normal rims, when first airing up a tube during install.

MTEK - Thanks for the review. I had a few questions for you that you might be able to answer now that you have spent some time with the bike:

I noticed you said the bike was a bit large even for you at close to 6'. I'm 5'6", would you see me having an issue with the bike with/without the rack on the back (I planned on doing something like this as well)

How well balanced would you say the bike is? Would you feel comfortable riding the bike with no hands? This was a concern of mine since the battery is mounted in the back and I've heard people mention this can throw the balance of the bike off a bit.

I also noticed you mentioned that the bike was a bit damaged during shipping. I know shipping companies can be a bit rough sometimes but this is the second review for this specific bike (This one apparently the fault of UPS - http://yearoftheebike.blogspot.com/2011/05/phantom-x-by-prodeco-technologies.html) in which I have read the bike was damaged upon shipment. Would you say they did an adequate job packing the bike? Could this have been prevented by better packaging?

Any off-road experience with the bike?

How loud is the bike while the motor is engaged?

I will post more questions as I think of them but thanks again for the review - this was helpful.

Hi Emerald,
1st to qualify my biking habits, I've been riding a road bike and hybrid almost exclusively for the past 15 years so I assumed adjusting to a mountain bike was obviously going to ride and feel different.
The Phantom X is really just a beefier version of a mountain bike. My Son has a mongoose mountain bike and side by side the Phantom X looks like its on steroids.
Yes, on more then 1 occasion while I was stopped and turning the bike (IE crosswalks, etc) the weight on the back end tends to want to tip the bike, even straddling the bike it took effort to stop the bike from tipping. Again without any Ebike experience I'm not sure if its rare, but looking at The Phantom X tells you the bike is rear heavy.
Riding wise, it definitely pulls its own weight and it's very controllable and easy to maneuver.

Riding with no hands is something I tried. at higher speed the bike shimmies, the 1st time I about S**t myself. :shock: At lower speeds its possible but its not even close to the ease of riding my road bike with no hands, which i can do for miles, on this bike it's not a very good idea.

The rear trunk rack was a necessary evil for me.There's very few options of mounting anything on the bike, specifically because of the foldable frame structure, there's no braze type bolts (?) on the bike, the only other option would be a handlebar mounted bag. The rear bag makes no difference, weight wise, to me as I carry very little in it anyway, and lets face it, when dealing with a 55 pound bike, whats another 3-4 pounds of gear? The upside of the bag is, it does blend in with the battery, making it less noticeable (to me anyway) and again with my experience limited to mainly road bikes its kind of cool to be able to run to the store and pick up a few things and actually have a place to carry them :D

The delivery packaging was fine, the box was packed tight with the proper amount of Styrofoam to keep the bike safe, the box wasn't damaged on the outside when I got it. I believe the shipper laid it on it's side and something heavier was placed on top of it. I don't blame Prodeco at all, and the only reason I mentioned it was it took a week and half off my riding time because of my bike shop being busy.

Off road riding - good question. My "off-roading" is limited to unpaved walking paths, not exactly X-game hill jumping type stuff, it did handle whatever bumps, holes and tree roots I ran over, the bike has some give with the shocks but because it's an Ebike I wasn't willing to test its limits off road

The bike is quite, it doesn't make any sound at all, most people don't realize its an electric bike until I ask them if they want to ride it, then I show them the throttle lever

The disk brakes work well, I had to adjust them when I 1st rode the bike because the brake pads were rubbing. The battery is VERY secure, the mounting assembly is solid and the battery locks into place

Hope this helps

Thanks for this review.

I am almost convinced that I should put a deposit on a 2012 Prodego. The Phantom, at least in the pics, appears to be a large bike with thick tires. Can you comment on its size when compared to the other mountain bike you have ? I am considering a Storm for its riding position and hopefully it will be less of a attention magnet compared to the all-black Phantom X2

Don't let your battery go bad over the winter. Put it on the charger at least every two weeks so it doesn't go flat over the winter. Just the tiniest trickle for months could kill it.

TO MTEK

I just go my Phantom with 26" wheels. You shoud go for a 20" wheel bike, go to Wal Mart and test fit on their bikes. When I stop the bike I can just reach the ground while stradling the bar. At 5'6" that would be difficult.

My primary objective is to get some exercise once or twice a week on a long ride to and back from work. I started off looking for folding bikes that i could take back home on the train and spotted this model and obviously it has its attractions. I am in decent cardio shape. Do you think the phantom enables you to get a solid workout? I am somewhat concerned it would be an all or nothing exercise = no throttle and u are pushing an unnaturally heavy bike... full throttle and you are pedaling along but not very strenuously. Can you use the variable throttle effectively to set a constant, reasonably strenuous pace (on steady terrain)?

Thanks for your thoughts

Ben

Hi Ben,
Your question hits right into the heart of the matter for me too
My original intention in buying an Ebike was to increase distance and duration of my rides, while still "riding"... Honestly, it's a mental game of not having to pedal so much because the motor will do the work for you (that's why there's sports phycologist, I guess)

There were many times I found myself laying back and cruising and not really doing the work, the offset of this is, I definitely ride more and I do always pedal, so I'm thinking the cardio is about even.

There is a cruise control locking button on the throttle assembly that allows you to lock in any speed, it will stay consistent until you either disengage the button or hit the brakes, this is a nice feature because you can set it at a lower speed, say 10-12 MPH, pedal above that, and when you slow your pedaling pace the speed of the bike goes no lower then where you set it. This is how I ride most of the time.

To complete the answer (I hope) pedaling without the motor on is cumbersome, physically draining and not enjoyable at all. It comes nowhere near the same "gliding" effect you get from a road bike
My opinion is if your buying an ebike you almost have to assume your going to need the motor power, on some level, all the time, if for nothing else but to push the weight of the bike

Mtek

Thank you, that is a helpful reply. It sounds like the cruise control is a key feature, where one could at least set the motor to offset the increased weight of the bike if not more, as needed. I assume riding this way would materially extend the range of the battery. thanks again

I really enjoyed receiving the bike but when the Phantom X arrived in November there was damage where the handle is attached to the long battery housing.
All the the handle screws had broken off from the plastic so that it was not possible to slide off the battery from the aluminium channel by pulling on the loose handle.
Fortunately the bike performed well on battery power for the one day I used it.
The battery was returned to Prodeco for repair.
I don't think the handle attachment to the housing is strong enough so I plan to wax the aluminium support to allow the battery to slide on and off more easily.

Quick update ... now about 700 total miles....running great
I did end up breaking the kickstand, Prodeco sent me a new one, no charge :D
I took a few emails/phone calls but they did send it

Prodeco does not manufacture these bikes in the usa like they claim. the bikes are imported directly from china. I just saw the exact same phantom ebike on ali express.com.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/563436652-HPC-X70-Folding-33-MPH-ELECTRIC-Bicycle-Mountain-Bike-wholesalers.html

Thanks--but that ad is almost certainly not "real". Apparently they call it " HPC X70 Folding 33+ MPH ELECTRIC Bicycle Mountain Bike", for $865

Note that their description below the item does not match what the pictures show. It specifies a frame mounted battery bag, when it actually has a rear rack bag, for instance. It also specifies an optional Cycle Analyst is shown, but it does not actually have anything on the bars that could be even a standard bike trip computer, AFAICS in teh low-res pics available.

Personally, I think it is just a scam item, with pictures and information that don't even go together, copied from various other places on the web.

A very similar, almost identical ad, is placed here:
http://phoenix.backpage.com/MiscForSale/1300-hpc-x70-folding-33-mph-electric-bicycle-mountain-bike/17438051
and I am pretty certain they aren't in Phoenix. ;) Note that the video linked is from Hi Power Cycles, and features a TOTALLY DIFFERENT bike. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiX8HNmx6Mg
See quote of the ad at the bottom of this post.

So I think the text is ripped from one of Hi Power Cycles' ads, and the pics are of something else, and the scammer is just after money.

So for all I know it might actually be a real Prodeco bike in the pics (though not the Phantom X which looks very different from what I can find), which like the text are probably just stolen from someone else.

In conclusion, I think perhaps everyone might want to do a bit of checking on the info you post before you cry wolf. ;)

Item specifics
Place of Origin:
Guangdong China (Mainland)
Range per Power:
> 60 km
Frame Material:
Carbon Fibre
Wheel Size:
26??
Foldable:
Yes
Max Speed:
>50km/h
Wattage:
251 - 350w
Voltage:
48V
Power Supply:
Lithium Battery
Certification:
DOT
Motor:
Brushless

BRAND NEW 33+ MPH, 2010 HPC X70 Folding Electric MTB
This is the bike you have been waiting for! High 33 MPH top speed, very high torque for tackling the roughest terrain all in a Military proven, folding hardtail frame! This is a great looking high end electric bike that is miles ahead of any other electric bike you may be familiar with. This high end folding Swissbike X70 hardtail Bike features our 1800W "Thunderbolt" power system hooked up to its custom 35 AMP controller and 51.2v LiFePo4 battery pack. The powerful electric system is driven to the BMC Thunderbolt brushless, geared rear hub motor for a surprising combination of hill climbing ability and INSANE top end speed. THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST POWERFUL AND FASTEST ELECTRIC BIKES ON THE MARKET, PERIOD! The beauty of this, is that no one will be able to tell this is an electric bike! The motor is VERY quiet, and is built into the rear wheel. The great selling point of this motor is that it completely FREEWHEELS! You can ride this bike without the electric system, and there is absolutely NO DRAG, it performs just like a normal bike! You can use as little or as much throttle whenever you want and is not contingent on your own pedaling.

Electric Component Features
- NEW BMC "Thunderbolt" 1800W power system with brushless, geared rear hub motor. Brand new design!. Offers much greater speed, torque, and power than other motors on the market while keeping weight around 9 pounds! The absolute best motor on the market for lightweight and power.
- Heavy duty stainless steel 13g spokes and nipples w/ 26" double walled rim
- NEWLY DEVELOPED BMC 36-48v, 35 Amp controller with slow start and the best mosfets you can buy!
- 26" Lightweight, strong 36H double wall aluminum rim (black or silver)
- Variable 48v 1/2 twist throttle with LED battery status indicator
- Exclusive Hi-Power Cycles frame mounted battery bag
- Our exclusive 51.2v 10AH LiFePo4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) Battery system with built in BMS for up to 60A discharge (weighs only 10.2 pounds!)- Good for 1500-2000 Cycles!
- 2A Battery Charger (optional 4a and 6a available!)
- Complete plug and play system!
- Blazing top speed of 33+ mph and range up to 25 miles! (Marketed for offroad use only.) Optional batteries can double range to 50+ miles (Ask for 20AH option if interested).
*Bike shown with OPTIONAL Cycle Analyst trip computer

Unit Type:
piece

Package Weight:
30.0kg (66.139lb.)

Package Size:
96cm x 45cm x 20cm (37.80in x 17.72in x 7.87in)

phoenix ad said:
$1,300, HPC X70 Folding 33+ MPH ELECTRIC Bicycle Mountain Bike
Posted: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 1:41 PM

Reply: click here

* $1,300, HPC X70 Folding 33+ MPH ELECTRIC Bicycle Mountain Bike
Enlarge Picture
Enlarge Picture
Enlarge Picture
Enlarge Picture
Enlarge Picture
Enlarge Picture

Electric Component Features

- NEW BMC "Thunderbolt" 1800W power system with brushless, geared rear hub motor. Brand new design!. Offers much greater speed, torque, and power than other motors on the market while keeping weight around 9 pounds! The absolute best motor on the market for lightweight and power, look at this video to see what it is capable of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiX8HNmx6Mg
- Heavy duty stainless steel 13g spokes and nipples w/ 26" double walled rim
- NEWLY DEVELOPED BMC 36-48v, 35 Amp controller with slow start and the best mosfets you can buy!
- 26" Lightweight, strong 36H double wall aluminum rim (black or silver)
- Variable 48v 1/2 twist throttle with LED battery status indicator
- Exclusive Hi-Power Cycles frame mounted battery bag
- Our exclusive 51.2v 10AH LiFePo4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) Battery system with built in BMS for up to 60A discharge (weighs only 10.2 pounds!)- Good for 1500-2000 Cycles!
- 2A Battery Charger (optional 4a and 6a available!)
- Complete plug and play system!
- Blazing top speed of 33+ mph and range up to 25 miles! (Marketed for offroad use only.) Optional batteries can double range to 50+ miles (Ask for 20AH option if interested).

• Post ID: 17438051 phoenix

Attachments

• 464449763_054.jpg
    464449763_054.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 4,055
  • 464449765_406.jpg
    464449765_406.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 4,055
  • 464449767_052.jpg
    464449767_052.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 4,055
  • 464449769_691.jpg
    464449769_691.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 4,055
The Ad's photographs are indeed the HPC X70, as can be seen in the HPC Youtube video below. However, definitely not one of the Prodeco Phantom series bikes (or any other Prodeco models).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37VdiF8Y0Bs

It must be an older discontinued HPC model, since I do not see the X70 currently listed on the HPC web site.

P.S.:

I wonder if the mentioned optional Cycle Analyst is the unidentifiable object sitting on the window sill behind the bike. The Ad didn't say it was actually attached to the bike. :lol:

Jason27 said:
Prodeco does not manufacture these bikes in the usa like they claim. the bikes are imported directly from china. I just saw the exact same phantom ebike on ali express.com.

No true, I was at the factory twice in the past 3 months. The Bikes are assembled right there, boxed and shipped out.

Back