Programming new motor to Sevcon gen 4

Hi y'all. I'm new to this forum and have tried the search function but couldn't find an answer. I have a sailboat with a 10kw motor, Sevcon gen 4 controller and a 48v system. My previous motor got submerged and I had to purchase a new one. I installed the new one but it only rotates about 1/8 turn then stops in forward or reverse. I have a Clearview display and there are no faults. I am guessing that the new motor needs to be calibrated to the controller. I would like to lear how to program the motor to the controller, hopefully that is the problem. I am having problems finding any information how to do it. I do realize that I will need sevcons programming software and hardware but don't want to buy it until I know its something I can do. If someone can point me in the correct direction on how to do it or where I can find info about it that would be great.

Thanks Rob

If it's an *identical* motor, there shouldn't be anything to change.

If it is identical and still not working, I'd check your encoder (position sensor) function and wiring to be sure it's working as it should be, providing the right signal back to the sevcon, and that the wiring / connectors weren't damaged by the submersion or the motor replacement process.

Not knowing which motor it is or what encoder it uses, I can't provide any specifics on that.

Based on everything I've read of others' adventures in sevcon:

If it's a different motor, you'll need the characteristics of that motor to program into the sevcon, and then tune the sevcon for this. It is not known to be a simple process; sevcon isn't going to help you, either. If you can find someone else on the internet that has the same sevcon and the same motor, already tuned well enough and working, you can get their DCF/etc files and use them to get you started.

Otherwise, you're probably in for a steep learning curve, and a fair bit of time to get it going the way it was before. There are a fair number of Sevcon programming threads and posts around here, and on forums like DIYElectricCar, that may give you a better idea of the process than I can.

(I have a sevcon but not the motor it was used with before, so I can't use it; I found it was cheaper for me to get (build/hack, actually) a different controller than to buy the hardware/software needed to program it to any motor I already have, along with the time required to figure out how to do that).

Salty Language said:
Hi y'all. I'm new to this forum and have tried the search function but couldn't find an answer. I have a sailboat with a 10kw motor, Sevcon gen 4 controller and a 48v system. My previous motor got submerged and I had to purchase a new one. I installed the new one but it only rotates about 1/8 turn then stops in forward or reverse. I have a Clearview display and there are no faults. I am guessing that the new motor needs to be calibrated to the controller. I would like to lear how to program the motor to the controller, hopefully that is the problem. I am having problems finding any information how to do it. I do realize that I will need sevcons programming software and hardware but don't want to buy it until I know its something I can do. If someone can point me in the correct direction on how to do it or where I can find info about it that would be great.

Thanks Rob

Back