• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Public Radio (like) Endless sphere R&D support group

hal2000

1 W
I was reading progress on designing a lightweight new high performance motor on another thread and mentioned kickstarter as a way to support the effort. perhaps this was the wrong analogy...

I don't expect you are going to have a commercial product ready for world wide distribution in 6 months when your engaged in a cool, green, rather esoteric R&D effort, but so is the Americas Cup, they just call it a race. The endless sphere supporters would be a stand in for Larry Elison, applied to electric transport.

For me you guys are kind of like public broadcasting, I listen to and follow your exploits as I would a story about a trip to the Arctic to see the affects of climate change. I'm not likely to go to the arctic, but I'm a member of NPR. There are hundreds maybe thousands of E.S. members that apply existing motor, battery and gear drive technology to their bikes, motorcycles, or other vehicles, but only a small core that are trying to design and create something new on the level of a new gear drive, motor, or controler typology. You few have the years of accumulated knowledge and experience, to try and push the envelop. I'm sure there are lots of us out here lacking the knowledge base or time to meaningfuly contribute from a technical angle. We follow the research and development on this forum avidly, however, and would value the chance to contribute on some level. I would love to know enough to use Cad, and fem to design a kickass supper lightweight motor but it's a steep learning curve and until I get there, .. why not take my twenty, or forty dollars, give me a E.S. bumper sticker, coffee mug, or E.S. skunkworks R&D t shirt, and call it good. Are you telling me that not having to worry about which steel, wire, magnets or carbon fiber cut side plates, or cnc machined brackets and plates you can afford for your prototype..... that would be a bad thing :roll:

This was my original post in speemind's thread on developing a new lightweight hub motor

Re: kick start? for Ultimate lightweight wheel-motor concept
by hal2000 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:59 pm

Looking vary cool, I've wondered for a while if it wouldn't help speed development on several of the colborative ES projects such as miles motor designs and arlos's and zombiess controller development, if we ran a kick starter or more permissive crowd source campaign, to cover projected prototyping materials costs for a first run of product. this might be the perfect project to try this out on. If it works try it on the controller projects. Is there a way to gauge interest here by asking every one to check in on another thread at varying levels of future support?
(crowd source interest for new ES designed uber hubmotor)
Might look like this...The time has come! join the (E) voution, as part of the endless sphere research and development team. The members of the worlds largest community of zero emissions makers and enthusiasts need your help to move the cause of electric transport forward by collaboratively designing and producing a new design for a cutting edge bicycle electric hubmotor. (Insert cool video pitch, i.e. what's wrong with current product.. How ours will be better see peachy printer pitch .with your help we can make this happen. Debut to be at the first endless sphere a con to be held in sanfrancisco on .... (if my pretty pony fans have a gathering what's stopping us. http://bronycon.org

Suggested gifts at differing support levels.

1. (200) $20.00 endless sphere r and d skunkworks team member sticker set.. Join the (E) Volution
2.(200) $ 40.00 See 1. Plus 11x17 super hubby endlesphere exploded view cad drawing /art poster something like this http://srt8duster.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/heartbeatcity1.jpg
3.(100) $ 100.00See 2 plus poster signed by designer tec team members. plus animated endlesphere phone screen saver art of animated assembly cad file. and E.S. skunkworks team member tshirt
4. (50)$250.00 See 3 substitute bike jersey
5.(10) $2,000 Motor limited edition parts kit and 2 above
6. (5)$3,000 assembled motor and 3 above.
7. (3) $4,000 limited addition gold anodized numbered version signed by team members with special edition carbon fiber and magnet upgrades installed in your wheel.and 3 above.

Well what do you guys think?

I would love to be pleasantly surprised by a new hub that is a big improvement, but I'm sure there's NOT much room for any unfilled niches. If there is an unfilled need, what is the most needed? I don't want to discourage innovation, and please continue to develop new ideas that are in pursuit of your particular passion, but...

My biggest fear is a future global disruption in trade with China. if that is coupled with a spike up in oil prices (which seems to happen once in a while), then the existing hubmotors in North America will be sold out pretty fast, regardless of the make and model.

In that situation, I think the next best option is a small non-hub, and I am fascinated by Lebowskis axial-flux DIY motor. It was only made as a bench-mule to help develop a sophisticated DIY sine-wave controller, but the motor turned out to perform much better than anticipated.

Anyways, if I had a million bucks, I'd fund Lebowskis motor and also Miles' new motor to go into production...just a thought.

You know at first I was frustrated with their choice to make a supperbadass hubmoter, which didn't seem to me to meet the greatest need... but now I think of it almost like supporting artists and painters....you don't expect them to paint your house, they have a muse, and if what they create following that voice is interesting to you...support it, after all as you said there are plenty of factories in China making normal hub motors, or normal controllers for that matter. So why shouldn't there be a mechanism on the forum to help support interesting efforts?

Back