PWD's Rocky Mountain Blizzard - mid drive

During the frame swap; I learned that there are 56mm headset cups and 55mm headset cups. I wasted a few hours trying to figure out how to press a 56mm cup into a 55mm hole until I measured the difference. Visually; they looked the same to me. I ended up just using the 55mm ones that came with the bike but they need need a good cleanup:
IMG_20220318_145154131.jpg

The new frame is working quite well. It even has some attachment points that lined up with the existing holes in my rear fender. Made for a cleaner install without c-clips around the seat stays.
IMG_20220328_181725992_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220328_181742203_HDR.jpg

No major updates to the bike but it has been getting used almost daily on trails. I need to get a recent photo but I've cleaned up the controller wiring and excess battery cable to hopefully reduce clutter and resistance. In other news; my Cyclone motor now has 10000+ kms on it.

Hi @pwd ,
I recently got a 2020 RM blizzard to put my bbshd on but the since the chainstay is so short on these bike well it doesn't fit.

So I figured I'd just make a cyclone build with it instead and I found this thread. Do you think I could get away with the triple chainring setup or is 2 the max? Also is there a way to use a 44T chainring without it scratching the frame or do I have to get a 36T like you did ? Great build btw that scott is epic 😎

Hi @pwd ,
I recently got a 2020 RM blizzard to put my bbshd on but the since the chainstay is so short on these bike well it doesn't fit.

So I figured I'd just make a cyclone build with it instead and I found this thread. Do you think I could get away with the triple chainring setup or is 2 the max? Also is there a way to use a 44T chainring without it scratching the frame or do I have to get a 36T like you did ? Great build btw that scott is epic 😎
That's too bad about the BBSHD not fitting. A modular mid drive like the Cyclone will prove to be more flexible in terms of mounting and chainring compatibility, but be more work to get dialed in.

I suppose you could run a triple chainring setup on the Blizzard but you would have to ensure your front derailleur can reach both chainrings. In order to fit a larger chainring like the 44T, I would have to space the chainring more outboard; which would make for a poor chainlike; which is the same problem you may run into if you try running a triple chainring.

You have to consider what your goal for the bike. IE top speed, climbing ability, how much pedalling etc... Although I'm running a 36T chainring; I just use the correct gear for the job. If I want to pedal with the motor; I give a very little amount of throttle and find the gear that suits my pedal speed. If I want to rip around with no pedaling I just keep the chain on gear 3 of 10, which give the best chainline in my case.

That's too bad about the BBSHD not fitting. A modular mid drive like the Cyclone will prove to be more flexible in terms of mounting and chainring compatibility, but be more work to get dialed in.

I suppose you could run a triple chainring setup on the Blizzard but you would have to ensure your front derailleur can reach both chainrings. In order to fit a larger chainring like the 44T, I would have to space the chainring more outboard; which would make for a poor chainlike; which is the same problem you may run into if you try running a triple chainring.

You have to consider what your goal for the bike. IE top speed, climbing ability, how much pedalling etc... Although I'm running a 36T chainring; I just use the correct gear for the job. If I want to pedal with the motor; I give a very little amount of throttle and find the gear that suits my pedal speed. If I want to rip around with no pedaling I just keep the chain on gear 3 of 10, which give the best chainline in my case.
Yeah I'm gonna go with the dual chainring kit, the triple looks like a lot of work to get right, even tho it would be a very versatile transmisson, I don't need crazy high top speed anyway.

I use my ebikes to commute to work (around 35-40kph) and as an atv replacement for hunting and fishing trips. So yeah I'm all about that low gearing to climb any steep trail and to carry heavy shit in the woods. What's your drivetrain setup ? Right now mine has a 11-40 cassette with an altus derailleur but I'm eyeing this groupset :

I can't find any reviews on it so idk how tough it is, probably not 100% cyclone proof but at least it's fairly cheap.

What's your drivetrain setup ?
I'm using a 10 speed drivetrain. Shimano Deore rear derailleur (with clutch), KMC x10 chain (the more basic one), Shimano Deore Shifter, and a cheap "Thinkrider" 11 to 50T cassette which I paid $26 for last year from Aliexpress. I use generic 104 BCD 30T chainrings from Aliexpress. The one currently on the bike is this:

I'm very surprised with how the cassette has held up for wear, it doesn't shift quite as nice as the SunRace 11-46T (all steel) I was using but the price is unbeatable and is still going after months of use. As with any cassette I've used though; I don't use first gear with the motor since the chainline isn't ideal and can bend the large cog easily if you apply a gob of power. I would advise again using a cassette with aluminum cogs if you intend on running a mid-drive motor.
Cassette

I'm using a 10 speed drivetrain. Shimano Deore rear derailleur (with clutch), KMC x10 chain (the more basic one), Shimano Deore Shifter, and a cheap "Thinkrider" 11 to 50T cassette which I paid $26 for last year from Aliexpress. I use generic 104 BCD 30T chainrings from Aliexpress. The one currently on the bike is this:

I'm very surprised with how the cassette has held up for wear, it doesn't shift quite as nice as the SunRace 11-46T (all steel) I was using but the price is unbeatable and is still going after months of use. As with any cassette I've used though; I don't use first gear with the motor since the chainline isn't ideal and can bend the large cog easily if you apply a gob of power. I would advise again using a cassette with aluminum cogs if you intend on running a mid-drive motor.
Cassette
Cool thanks, I'm gonna try out that stuff first, for the price you can't beat it indeed.

Reactions: pwd
Back