Q: Mtn bike front suspension, max rake?

commanda

100 W
Just toying with some design ideas here. How far over can I lean mountain bike front suspension forks before they bind up and stop working.
Thinking full suspension chopper/dragster thingy. Obviously, we're talking budget forks, not top $helf.

Amanda

every fork is going to be diffrent, but my Marzocchi is binding up at normal DH levels when I try to ride on veery smooth roads for extended times. it needs occasinal hard bumps to keep it free. A cheap fork would be completly bound up. anything past that and I don't know of any telescoping fork that would function at all

But a springer would work on a chopper.

Depends on the riding ,wheight on the front and the direction of the impact.. But for a Head ange below 60degrees, I would defo go for a double clamped fork.

When you lower the head angle , you wil loose some of the plush , suspended feeling and it will loose a bit of traction on gravel and such. BUT.. Impacts like curbs and potholes (at speed) will actually be more in line with the the fork at 45 degrees than at 60-70degrees. A raked out fork will also cope with braking better than a steep fork, as the braking pushes the front wheel back.(it won't brake better but the off-axis load on the fork will be less) Your big enemy here is the weight on the front and jumps.

MTB downhill race rigs have a head angle of 63-66 degrees. They hold up just fine doing 30-40 mph in the woods , doing jumps and big rock-gardens , often through steep terrain , with most of the rider weight on the fork. The strongest fork ever made is the 2003-2007 marzocchi DH forks (exept the junior-t) whith the Monster T as the ultimate big-drop fork.
you should be able to find a used 888RV for about 100$.

My freeride rig , (santacruz nomad with Marzocchi 888RC2X 170mm) with 66 degree HA has no problem with 5 feet drops to flat.

.manitu

Thank you. Still not sure which way to jump. There's some forks coming up on eBay shortly that I may try. Still contemplating whether to build a springer or not.

Gotta start putting all my thoughts down on paper.

Amanda.

I have both springer and a Marzzochi fork... The springer is really a 'looks only' thing
bounces more than it 'absorbs' bumps, if you want something that resembles suspension the MTB fork is the shot.

KiM

Back