Quick Ping repair question

john7700

100 W
The Happy Valley ................Western Mass. USA
I probably should have put this in battery or better yet ask ping but I'd like to get this
battery back together and running today and Ping usually takes a day or two to answer.

I was having problems with a couple of sense wires and under Pings instructions opened
the batt., found two broken wires right where they attached to the lead squares. Scraped away
the silicone and striped and re-soldered the wires and all appears to be well again.

My question is: Should I hot glue or silicone the leads back down and over the new connections
to hold them tight to the lead tops? Can I hurt any thing by doing this or should I just leave them
as they are?

Thanks for the help guys.

The eternal Newb,

John

make sure there is enuff slack so they don't pull off the solder spot again. that is how they get pulled loose usually, imo.

also sometimes the sense wire leads get pulled loose when you pull the tape off so always check for that if you unwrap it.

don't let one sense wire ride over the terminals of an adjacent cell so that it cannot short out if the wire insulation is abraded off.

I'd do something to help relieve the strain on the leads. tape could even be enough, especially good stuff like double side foam mounting tape. Make slack within the pack, then secure the leads as they leave the pack to prevent another pulling off.

The leads didn't pull off, rather they broke off right at the point where the stripping had begun. Perhaps the machine/person who had stripped them cut to deep. Ping mentioned in Email that I should open it and look for a broken line. Quite likely they have dealt with this before.

There is no slack as after the sense wires enter the battery they are secured with some kind of silicone/glue type material all the way to the terminal connection points. I just peeled the material back enough to free enough of the wire to strip it. This made it slightly shorter so I just re-soldered a little lower on the the terminal pad.

I was leaning toward sealing them back down but wasn't sure what to use. I have a glue gun and a couple types of silicone. Here a photo for those who haven't seen the inside of a ping. You can see where I did the work on the bottom row on the fourth and fifth cell clusters. I think I should lay something back down over them so they can't vibrate loose/off but I'm not sure what to use.

P1000477.jpg

Looks real clean and neat compared to my V1. The way those wires are run, I'm suprised they worked loose. Any chance that side of the battery was rubbing anything?

no, the stripping of the wires by the original assembler was what cut the sense wire. i bet it is a common problem. but this is the first time i have seen the newest assembly practice inside and ping seems to have learned from all the 'advice' he got from us about letting the assemblers pull the sense wires too tight. kudos to ping for listening to me.

take it easy on the pack until you get several dozen charge/discharge cycles. don't run it down to LVC unless by accident. i even recommend people keep track of the cell voltages during charging to have a history to compare to in the future in case something changes, so you have reference values for the balancing of that particular BMS.

Neither. That's a job for duct tape unless it's already slathered with silicone or something and duct tape won't stick. Holding those thin wires in place and protecting them over the full length is what you want. Silicone would work too, but you'd need to wait a day for it to fully cure before sealing it back up. I rarely find a good use for hot glue...maybe holding capacitors in place and stuff like that.

Back