Rainy to hail storm best traction 700c tire brand or model? suggestions

Muramura

100 mW
Hi Peeps , I been riding my bafang 700c bbs02b ebike for 4yrs now, just been wondering if anyone is into tires and know some fancy advancements or just solid rain tires, that don't slip as much or at all. As I got fed up with my gatorskin continentals that failed me last week and they are a year old. I got banged up pretty bad in the elbow like 3in gash with a huge bruise... of course it was on tar flat asphalt but wasn't going to fast or a hard turn it was dark too... boy is it slippery when damp, scary stuff. Probably got 1500miles on them but time for a change, its been 2 slips this year but the weather has been bonkers then normal too. it snowed in march it never has snowed in march ever since I was born in the 90s.

This tire is too thin as well yeah its Kevlar and has saved me with horrible things that were in the road but id rather not slip, its just getting weird where I live. like bipolar weather.

I been looking around saw that - "Schwalbe Marathon Plus" , or "Continental Ride Tour 700c " , or "Continental contact urban" Were solid tires with good thickness but no clue for traction on wet...

Tell me if you need to know anything and I appreciate any feedback or solutions thanks :D

The best tires I've found for wet conditions have deep channels that allow water to be pushed off the tread surfaces and into the channels and then out the sides or back.

The tread surface needs to be as much surface area as possible to make as much road contact as possible. The channels and tread have to go all the way around up the sides as far as the tire will ever have to contact the road in a turn to be able to shed water and grip the road....but no matter what tire you have, there's still going to be a limit to the angle and speed you can turn at in wet conditions. That's kind of an experimental thing you just have to get the feel of, and every tire and every bike configuration will be different...so I don't like to change any of that once I get one that works, so I dont' have to relearn cornering under poor conditions over and over again.

The very best ones I ever found are no longer made, by CST, and looked like a car-tire-tread pattern with a buttcrack in the centerline of the tread area.
1709699407688.png

The CST Sensamo (not the Master version) is my present front tire on SB Cruiser, since they discontinued the other one I had been using (City). I've only ridden in one rainstorm so far here, and it wasn't very bad compared to the usual flash-flood conditions, but I had no traction problems with it. Mind you, the SBC is a trike, so it's handling in the wet especially in turns is VERY different from a bike, it can't slide out from under you...but it can still slide sideways with traction loss, or get squirrely steering, and I didn't have thse problems with the Sensamo on that ride.
1709700257502.png 1709700425806.png

It doesn't typically get cold enough here for any form of road ice, so I can't tell you how it would perform in those types of conditions--I think you'd need spikes or chains to handle that with any tire, though. When I lived in texas as a kid, black ice patches in hail conditions were not uncommon, and they'd take down bikes, cars, trucks, etc. regardless of tires.

Last edited:
The best tires I've found for wet conditions have deep channels that allow water to be pushed off the tread surfaces and into the channels and then out the sides or back.

The tread surface needs to be as much surface area as possible to make as much road contact as possible. The channels and tread have to go all the way around up the sides as far as the tire will ever have to contact the road in a turn to be able to shed water and grip the road....but no matter what tire you have, there's still going to be a limit to the angle and speed you can turn at in wet conditions. That's kind of an experimental thing you just have to get the feel of, and every tire and every bike configuration will be different...so I don't like to change any of that once I get one that works, so I dont' have to relearn cornering under poor conditions over and over again.

The very best ones I ever found are no longer made, by CST, and looked like a car-tire-tread pattern with a buttcrack in the centerline of the tread area.
View attachment 348565

The CST Sensamo (not the Master version) is my present front tire on SB Cruiser, since they discontinued the other one I had been using (City). I've only ridden in one rainstorm so far here, and it wasn't very bad compared to the usual flash-flood conditions, but I had no traction problems with it. Mind you, the SBC is a trike, so it's handling in the wet especially in turns is VERY different from a bike, it can't slide out from under you...but it can still slide sideways with traction loss, or get squirrely steering, and I didn't have thse problems with the Sensamo on that ride.

It doesn't typically get cold enough here for any form of road ice, so I can't tell you how it would perform in those types of conditions--I think you'd need spikes or chains to handle that with any tire, though. When I lived in texas as a kid, black ice patches in hail conditions were not uncommon, and they'd take down bikes, cars, trucks, etc. regardless of tires.
well that sure is one wacky fun looking bike! but ill check out the cst sensamo tire! thanks for the input yeah I knew about tread line from car tires was just wondering about rubbers and new techniques possibly. but appreciate it :D

The Sensamo appears to be a pretty new tire (it is even marked as "ebike" on mine), so it's probably using some new techniques, but I don't know if it's different in composition or just surface molding, or what. I am also not certain they're available in 700c, but CST probably has a similar model that is, if the Sensamo isn't.

The Sensamo Master is probably even better, but I haven't used it--I didn't want to spend the extra money on a tire type I had never tried and could not return if it didn't work out, as I couldn't find anywhere local that had these or any other similar "sticky" compound tire with street tread that I could go "touch" and feel, to know if it would work for my needs. (which are mostly for very dry hot conditions, most of the year...but it also must deal with VERY wet conditions on the few times a year I have to ride in them.)

The only other tires I have lots of experience with that I know will work in the rain (even flash floods) won't fit your wheels, guaranteed--they're the 16" moped tires I'm using on the 20" rear wheels. ;)

I do recommend avoiding ALL Kenda tires--every one of them I've ever had on any bike in any form for any usage has done this
1709701822429.png

The DayGlo Avenger (with the white tire in previous post) was one of the most normal looking bikes I've ever had, if that says anything. ;)

This is my current ride,
1709702228142.png

and this was the one before that (not counting Delta Tripper which was more an experiment I was stuck riding for a while than anything else).
1709701988661.png

Jesus you sure are a nomad lol but cool stuff! I think if I ever were to get really crazy, id want a quad cycle awd ebike lol. but thats alot of time/money and welding hahah :ROFLMAO:.

As for the tires yes, I feel your pain on kenda even the grip isnt as good, especially tire pressure and things in the road aint worth the cheapness had many blow or just stink like a skunk...as continental, my gator skins grip so well in dry but wet is iffy on slick surfaces, I gotta go slow. just sucks they are over 50 to 70 bucks depending...tires shouldnt be so bad, like 40ish id say is fair.

For sure will see if cst or Sensamo Master have 700c models or similar gotta love the ebike models more weight and rubber for longer skids lol.

CST pages for the tires

Links below are random picks from the google searches; I have not visited the links. My Sensamo Control came from :

CST Sensamo Control 700c

CST Sensamo Master 700c

My sons answer to the wet is to simply call for an event rescue...

I don't know what the before and after items were, but years back I was in India for business, it started to rain and there was a bike shop madly swapping tires on bikes. The guy who I was with told me that it was basically a ritual, at the start of the rainy season you hold on as long as possible before switching to rain tires.

Which is basically the full depth of info I have, but If we have any Indian or there abouts brothers or sisters about, they may have more data. I can ask a buddy of mine if ya all want.

My sons answer to the wet is to simply call for an event rescue...

I don't know what the before and after items were, but years back I was in India for business, it started to rain and there was a bike shop madly swapping tires on bikes. The guy who I was with told me that it was basically a ritual, at the start of the rainy season you hold on as long as possible before switching to rain tires.

Which is basically the full depth of info I have, but If we have any Indian or there abouts brothers or sisters about, they may have more data. I can ask a buddy of mine if ya all want.
Gotcha kinda like formula f1 lol, yeah but its just a hassle. I don't got a pit crew and we bikers sure dont got a cool shop like that doing it lickity split lol. like minutes then days we gotta go go go :D

Im just asking for the best tire out there rn for 2024 for rain and wet or all season really. but I appreciate the story 😂

Yeah, we also don't have 2-300 bikes per block. It is a much more 2 wheel culture.. at least the parts I have seen, I have traveled but almost always for business, so learned what I could, but had to pay de bills.

I was just offering datum, because I don't offer Dad's rescue service for stranded monkeys as an open business. :😆:

It was impressive how fast these guys could skin a tire and redress it. I mean for me it is still "well, done with coffee, see ya all for a late lunch" and In the past year I have done more tires than I did as a kid.Monkey (my sons nicname) has hard core street cred.. well as hardcore as you get in a sleeper community for SF :😆:

Yeah, we also don't have 2-300 bikes per block. It is a much more 2 wheel culture.. at least the parts I have seen, I have traveled but almost always for business, so learned what I could, but had to pay de bills.

I was just offering datum, because I don't offer Dad's rescue service for stranded monkeys as an open business. :😆:

It was impressive how fast these guys could skin a tire and redress it. I mean for me it is still "well, done with coffee, see ya all for a late lunch" and In the past year I have done more tires than I did as a kid.Monkey (my sons nicname) has hard core street cred.. well as hardcore as you get in a sleeper community for SF :😆:
yeah its pretty crazy how indians services work! like I seen them do crazy things to keep there fun looking British trucks running for 80+yrs its nuts even tire patches with steam and rebuild iron blocks in saand and shafts with battery welding, they nuts in a wish we had that way lol. might not be pro but sure is with primitive methods of wow.

Back