real car companies are finally coming for Tesla

"...Tesla (TSLA) delivered well ahead of analyst expectations, as Tesla reported a total of 184,800 vehicle deliveries for Q1’21. This was ahead of street expectations...

...expectations were set low for Q1’21 deliveries due to the “chip shortage"…

...the surprise delivery figure was probably driven by Tesla’s in-house chip development..."

by Hillhater » Jul 12 2021 6:24pm

ZeroEm wrote: ↑Jul 12 2021 8:30am

EV market is still very young if people figure out the savings it will gain traction.
I suspect most average motorists have figured out the “savings”....and realised it is not a convincing factor !

It just might not be the same everywhere. Most people around me have not seen an EV in person. And they all ask the same question, how far will it go? They do not have a clue that you do not need to change the oils, coolant, belts, plugs, plug wires, injectors, fuel filters, air filters, oil filters, hoses, clutch fan..... Not to even talk about bad gas, standing in line, credit card issues at the pumps and gas prices up and down. Not going to a gas station is worth it all by itself.

Car companies canceled their chip orders, Tesla did not.

ZeroEm said:
It just might not be the same everywhere. Most people around me have not seen an EV in person. And they all ask the same question, how far will it go? They do not have a clue that you do not need to change the oils, coolant, belts, plugs, plug wires, injectors, fuel filters, air filters, oil filters, hoses, clutch fan..... Not to even talk about bad gas, standing in line, credit card issues at the pumps and gas prices up and down. Not going to a gas station is worth it all by itself.
EVs are still a rarity outside major cities.
The typical new car buyer knows nothing about oil changes, plugs , belts etc etc,..because they do not have to.
Nearly all new cars come with free or fixed price servicing to take care of all those details....( and most EVs also have service plans !) .
Bad gas ?... really ? Never happened to me in 60 yrs of driving !....and much less likely than a non working charge station .
Never stood in line for gas either. So many gas stations its easy to pick one with no que,..just move on to the next.( maybe not so easy with charge stations though, eh ?)
With the average distance traveled by drivers being <30km daily, a ice with a 600+ km range (mine will do 900+) , can go 20 - 30 days between those 5 min refils !
The biggest cost factors for new car ownership are for most people..
Depreciation
Insurance,
Registration/ road tax/ etc
Road Tolls
Parking
With fuel and servicing/maintenance well down the list .

by Hillhater » Jul 12 2021 9:26pm

EVs are still a rarity outside major cities.
The typical new car buyer knows nothing about oil changes, plugs , belts etc etc,..because they do not have to.
Nearly all new cars come with free or fixed price servicing to take care of all those details....( and most EVs also have service plans !) .
Bad gas ?... really ? Never happened to me in 60 yrs of driving !....and much less likely than a non working charge station .
Never stood in line for gas either. So many gas stations its easy to pick one with no que,..just move on to the next.( maybe not so easy with charge stations though, eh ?)
With the average distance traveled by drivers being <30km daily, a ice with a 600+ km range (mine will do 900+) , can go 20 - 30 days between those 5 min refils !
The biggest cost factors for new car ownership are for most people..
Depreciation
Insurance,
Registration/ road tax/ etc
Road Tolls
Parking
With fuel and servicing/maintenance well down the list .

Can not disagree with most of it, people are in the dark and don't know.

I just visited family in FL and got into it again with my brother who is a walking talking Fox News sound bite machine. LOL. He also worships Elon Musk almost as much as he does a certain orange idiot. Of course my bro knows absolutely nothing about how EVs work... and besides he could never afford a Tesla in his wildest dreams.

I tried to explain to him that there are about a billion and a half cars on the road around the word and Tesla has sold maybe a few hundred thousand at best. Tesla was smart in that it has poached the high end early adopters which the major mfgs just let go since there wasn't huge profit in it, notwithstanding Tesla's absurdly valued stock. But when the real transition to EVs begins the billions of people who will never be able to afford a Tesla are gonna buy the Hondas, Toyotas, Fords and Chevys that will be half the price, better made, and more reliable. And many wealthy people will buy the Audi, Mercedes, and Bimmer versions. Have you seen Audi's E-Trons? Wow. As an aside I just saw my first Ford Mustang Mach-E on the road here in FL. Looked nice... like a half price Model X. Actually looked better to my eye and is supposed to drive wicked good on curvy roads.

And meanwhile SpaceX (and Blue Origin) boldly accomplish, to rave reviews, feats that were ancient history by 1970. More evidence of cultism. At some point the absurd value of Tesla stock will reflect this reality. IMO.

We promote EV's hard to explain them to people. Was the same way, lots of fear pushed about them. Don't know why? If I had money to burn would like to have a Tesla. Bought a used Leaf 2013, figured it would last 5yrs and it will. Thinking now of just replacing the battery and keep the Car. Not ideal for most but don't drive it much. My mother is in it almost everyday for short runs. I drive it monthly maybe. Mostly ride my eTrike. Will never buy an ICE again. Soon we can rent EV's.

by raylo32 » Nov 08 2021 8:31am

I just visited family in FL and got into it again with my brother who is a walking talking Fox News sound bite machine. LOL. He also worships Elon Musk almost as much as he does a certain orange idiot. Of course my bro knows absolutely nothing about how EVs work... and besides he could never afford a Tesla in his wildest dreams.

I tried to explain to him that there are about a billion and a half cars on the road around the word and Tesla has sold maybe a few hundred thousand at best. Tesla was smart in that it has poached the high end early adopters which the major mfgs just let go since there wasn't huge profit in it, notwithstanding Tesla's absurdly valued stock. But when the real transition to EVs begins the billions of people who will never be able to afford a Tesla are gonna buy the Hondas, Toyotas, Fords and Chevys that will be half the price, better made, and more reliable. And many wealthy people will buy the Audi, Mercedes, and Bimmer versions. Have you seen Audi's E-Trons? Wow. As an aside I just saw my first Ford Mustang Mach-E on the road here in FL. Looked nice... like a half price Model X. Actually looked better to my eye and is supposed to drive wicked good on curvy roads.

And meanwhile SpaceX (and Blue Origin) boldly accomplish, to rave reviews, feats that were ancient history by 1970. More evidence of cultism. At some point the absurd value of Tesla stock will reflect this reality. IMO.

Hey, I am all aboard the future of EVs. If I was going to replace my mom's Mazda CX-5 it almost surely would be an EV. Never leaves town and only drives short distances. It would be ideal. I am not ready for one myself because there are still just too many limitations. And when I do buy one I will it will be a nice one. But being somewhat value conscious it won't be an overpriced Tesla.

Back