Recomendations for RC motor to match 24FET Steveo

SilverSurfer

100 W
Well, The Rapture is going to go RC. I have the A123 M1 24s4p pack. Gonna have the Steveo 24FET controller. Trying to pick a RC that would do well under that controller/battery set. I like the Turnigy HXT, and am considering the 12Kw. But I dont want to give up my voltage! Hot at 90v+

Would appreciate some input. Machanically I can acheive about anything, and electronicaly I can work with moderate expertise.

Thanks

I plan on the 12 KW outrunner myself. Just waiting for HAL to say they are available.

Your aware the rc motors are sensorless and wont run on
an infineon without modification to the motor right?
As you know i run one of the big turnigys and
highly recommend them if your after cheap
rc motor, if you want quality hit up Recumpence
for an Astro 3220

Best of luck mate

KiM

The 12kw outrunner has hall sensors, and its a simple matter to wire up to any sensored ebike controller. It also has a KV of 75, letting it easily be setup with a single stage drive, no first stage reduction needed.

A single one of these things will be more power capability than has ever been put on an ebike.

90v isn't really enough to milk massive power from this motor, but it should still manage +10kw output pretty easily.

The problem is, if you throw irfp4115 fets in an 18 or 24fet controller, its going to blow in about the first 10 seconds of running this motor with a load.

AussieJester said:
Your aware the rc motors are sensorless and wont run on
an infineon without modification to the motor right?
As you know i run one of the big turnigys and
highly recommend them if your after cheap
rc motor, if you want quality hit up Recumpence
for an Astro 3220

Best of luck mate

KiM

liveforphysics said:
The 12kw outrunner has hall sensors,

Wasn't aware it was an "RC motor". Yet to see am RC motor with hall sensors fitted at the factory either. The 12kw is not avaiable and wont be for awhile only choice at present IS an RC motor that don't have halls sensors fitted stock.

KiM

AussieJester said:
liveforphysics said:
The 12kw outrunner has hall sensors,

Wasn't aware it was an "RC motor". Yet to see am RC motor with hall sensors fitted at the factory either. The 12kw is not avaiable and wont be for awhile only choice at present IS an RC motor that don't have halls sensors fitted stock.

KiM

Fair enough if you don't wana call it an RC motor. :)

hydro-one said:
what would you run it with Luke? if not a loaded 24fet??

mike

I should have rephrased it. Any of the infinion controllers could make it run, but to load the motor to it's potential... well... the market kinda has a gap in controllers of the needed current and power level, without taking the huge step-up in price and weight to the biggest BLDC kellys.

BigMoose and I are working on a solution to this problem, and Jeremy Harris is also working on a solution. This motor is just the incentive needed to make it happen.

Having replaced the hall sensors in a bldc hub twice now, I feel fairly confident I could modify any brushless by adding hall sensors. The mechanics of the job are not very complicated. Whats important more than current hall sensors included, is trying to get the most out of the controller and batteries potential without blowing one of the three (motor included). I was also considering the etek pmac. Seems like way way way more than I need, but also seems like no matter what I thow at it, I could never hurt it.

liveforphysics said:
Fair enough if you don't wana call it an RC motor. :)

You know very well they weren't made for RC application.
Motor was named the Colossus its a 12kw outrunner.

silversurfer- if you want to got etek/Mars pm enoob he has access to brushless new/old stock
of Mars motors he just fitted one to his chopper. You might not get a reply for awhile he is having
a few issues at the moment with a tennant he has to sort out.

KiM

I decided to go with the 12 Kw. Im gonna use a good breaker system and set my CA up for current limiting. I can always upgrade other components, the motor should be more than eneough, and dang, will that look good on my chrome beastie! Thanks for hangin out wit me here and discussin it! SS

Back