Recumbent BikeE for Comfort and Efficiency

I started a print on the forward part that has the locking end of the MTX trunk adapter. My plan is to stop it at about 25% and use it to test fit, everything critical is within that section. The full print is over 6 hours even in 0.30mm layer draft mode, no reason to use that much time and material to check things when there are likely some issues to resolve. Then I can make any adjustments needed and perhaps be ready to make one for real. I'm leaving the bolts as-is for now.

OK, the print took about 3 hours to get to a useful level for testing, I was tempted to let it complete but it wasn't a good color so I stopped it. Have tested the M5x70mm capscew, washer, tee nut and MTX bag. I did make a minor adjustment on the countersink depth which is not critical, but easy to improve. I also deepened the cuts that allow it to flex and clamp. The one thing I have not done is dig into where the bike is stored and check the tail fit and clamping action. Perhaps tomorrow. Tis looking good so far.

The tee nut design was done some time ago. I don't recall exactly why I chose that, but one reason is to avoid having the nuts fall out when the capscrew is removed since they are captured. I have a bag of the tee nuts now, so have quite a few. Nylock nuts are a good idea too. Lots of ways to do it.

I plan to finish this design verification and not make many more changes. But I may be going a different direction for my BikeE rack.

Today I was going through storage to get something and found a brand new ToPeak MTX Explorer rack that I had purchased several years ago for the BikeE (and had forgotten about). So rather than use my 3D printed dovetail rack design I may make a new design that adapts this rack to the BikeE. There are a number of advantages, not the least of which is the side pannier shields that will keep the trunk's fold out panniers away from the rear wheel. So perhaps we'll have both options available.

OK, I pulled out four ebikes to get to the BikeE today.

First of all, the 3D printed clamp fits the tail extrusion PERFECTLY. That's a wrap. Looks like a compressed file archive can be attached to postings here. That's the good news. The STL files have been added to the posting with the captured design image on the end of the previous page.

Now, for the less wonderful news, on my BikeE the tail is only 24.8 cm long from the seat stop rivet to the end. This is a bit short for the MTX trunk which is 7cm longer, but having some hang off should be ok. Also the tail lengths vary depending on the Bikee you have. If your seat is all the way back this will be reduced some. If the seat stop was removed some additional space might result.

Now for the Topeak Rack, if it is mounted at the right height it can sit forward somewhat, though at some point (too far forward) it will touch the rider's back through the seat. To mount this rack I will need to design two blocks. One to pick up the mounting bolts at the front of the rack. The other to grasp the rack somehow further back. Not shure how that would best be done.

One problem with this is when standing the bike vertically now it sits on the end of the tail piece. With the trunk or MTX Rack mounted it will sit on those, and not be as vertical, and perhaps not as stable. Standing this bike vertically (front wheel in midair) has saved me some precious space in the garage. If the trunk was removed the 3d printed adapters would not touch the floor and things would be as it is. If the rack is mounted it will stick out and change the angle and possibly reduce the stability.

bikee MTX 20191003_152243.jpg

topeak rack 20191003_152939.jpg

BikeeExplorerMount.JPG

This design supports the Topeak Explorer rack above the Bikee tail piece with enough space under the rack for the PhaseRunner motor controller. A tunnel for the cables through the front block may be added before this design is printed. The PhaseRunner will sink heat into the aluminum tail extrusion. This is tight, there may not be enough space lengthwise. The PhaseRunner may need to mount on the bottom of the tail piece and the rear support block moved forward. This would also solve the cable routing problem.

Back