Replacing a 12V 7Ah SLA battery with 14.4V 12Ah keeping SLA's dimensions

powersupply

100 W
Hi all,
my first attempt to put together some batteries, so please be helpful and kind.
I was looking to replace a 12V 7Ah SLA battery and found ready made batteries but with low Power or other issues.

This should replace a standard 12V 7Ah SLA battery and has eight 32700 6Ah LiFePo4 batteries in a 4S 2P configuration resulting in 14.4V 12Ah.
It has a simple "smart" BMS and fits tightly in the same footprint/dimensions as the mentioned 12V SLA battery.

Here is the Sketchup drawing
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/04f2a667-ce18-44a2-a83e-6ea5b027ccf3/Replacing-a-12V-7Ah-SLA-battery-with-144V-12Ah-keeping-SLAs-dimensions

Components
Batteries: 8 x LiFePo4 32700 3,2v 6Ah
BMS: Daly Smart BMS R05T1-Gl19, 4S, "12V", 30A
Some 2mm sheet LASER CNC'd

Alternately the case of an old SLA battery + Credit Cards as separators

I hope to learn from your kind actionable and constructive inputs, I am then looking to LASER CNC some 2mm thick plastic sheet somewhere.
Depending if it's not OK to solder right onto the batteries, I might need to borrow or go to a place for a point welder also.

Thank you all!

One of my buddies did that for a big portable speaker. He used a Bluetooth BMS, though, and taped the batteries into a pack. He gets much better run time than with the heavier SLA battery.

Your solution seems a little overengineered, but effective. If it entertains you, press on.

Which is the "Bluetooth BMS"? Is your friend happy with it?

Contrary to your friends speaker use, this is not for entertainment.
This battery will power a weather station and some other sensors.

Does anybody have suggestions before I start building my very first cell based battery?
Thanks!

powersupply said:
Which is the "Bluetooth BMS"? Is your friend happy with it?

I don't know what he used. He likes Bluetooth BMSes because he likes to keep track of the pack from his phone. I'm good with checking things with a voltmeter when I want to know what's up.

I'm not suggesting that your battery is for entertainment. I am suggesting that making special cell holders will be only of entertainment value. With so few cells and a stationary application, you can simply tape or hot glue the cells into a pack. Don't let that stop you from fabricating something if you're into it.

That was valuable info, thank you!
I thought the batteries must be spaced so they don't short in worst case scenarios.
And also leave room for stretching (if they do stretch).
Now I understand your "overengineered" comment.

I designed it so that regular credit cards can be (heat) bent to act as some spacer.
I rather not do LASER cutting, so your input was great news!

The BMS to be used has a bluetooth dongle, though I'll rather set things up wired (has also serial->USB).
We might communicate with the BMS serially via Arduino later, if needed.

Please keep it coming.
Thanks!

If you reckon there will be vibration, you can give each cell a turn of Gorilla Tape or the like before you bind them together. But that's not usually necessary for a stationary pack.

Yes, violent (shock) vibrations due to windsock on top of the mast.
Removing the lead stuff from the old SLA is a real pain so far, will order one of those containers next time.
Will have to solder the cells together, wish there were a hobby place here in West Los Angeles where I could spot weld the batteries.

Back