Resistance riddle

drsolly

100 W
I wanted to measure the internal resistance (IR) of my Hobbyking 4S batteries. I went about this two ways.

1) I made up a wooden board with ten 12v 50w lamps, with pairs of lamps in series, five of these pairs in parallel. I paired the lamps because I didn't want the 16.8v of the battery to burn out the 12v lamps. When I give it 17 volts (fully charged lipo) it flows 17.4 amps, so the resistance is very nearly one ohm.

Then I measured voltage sag; on each of eight batteries, that was between 0.9 and 1.2 volts. Ohms law (Vsag/amps) gives me an internal resistance of between 53 and 70 milliohms. That's for a four-cell battery, so it's about 15 milliohms per cell.

2) I got a 7 in 1 Turnigy megameter, costing about $40. I powered it up from one battery, and used the twin-pin probe to measure individual cell IR. I got values of around 100 milliohms per cell, meaning 400 millohms per battery. That's several times as much as measured with the lightbulb method.

So, now some sums.

If the IR is 400 milliohms (as per Turnigy meter), and my bike pulls 20 amps, then that means that there's an 8 volt drop across the battery, and the battery dissipates 160 watts

If the IR is 60 milliohms (as per light bulb test), and my bike pulls 20 amps, then that means that there's an 1.2 volt drop across the battery (I times R), and the battery dissipates 24 watts (I squared times R).

I have a voltmeter on the handlebars, so I *know* I'm not getting an 8 volt drop. Whereas 1.2 volt drop is about right (maybe it's actually a bit higher).

So.

Either I've misunderstood how all this works, or the Turnigy is doing something very clever whereas my light bulbs are measuring pure resistive load, or else the Turnigy gives me readings that are way high compared to reality.

I'm keen to hear other folks opinions on this, especially if I've buggered up my calculations or failed to understand something here.

Trust your sag voltage and amp measurement calculations. I have no idea what the Turnigy meter is measuring.

The numbers from the Turnigy meter just seem intuitively wrong. From memory, you normally see IR measurements for good RC lipo in the tens-of-millohms range, certainly not hundreds.

RC Lipo - 15mOhm per cell is almost done. 5-10mOhm/cell is fairly decent performance.

Any RC Lipo at or above 20mOhm/cell in my collection is retired from traction duty and perhaps repurposed for lighting or other low current application if no significant puffing.

IR testing is a good way to sort bricks/cells used in series strings IMO.

All of which leaves me wishing that I hadn't spent $40 on the Turnigy 7-in-1 meter. Oh well, you live, you learn.

Back