• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Resting voltages of LifePo 16ah cilindrical cells

joystix2

100 W
I purchased 16 individual 16ah cells from MM about 3 months ago and made a 48v pack. I have only had about 4 cycles on them and I am getting some disturbing reading on individual cells. After charge and sitting for a few hours most are giving me reading of 3.35-3.36v... But on about 5 of the cells I am getting 3.8-3.9 resting voltage and about 4.2 hot off the charger. Do you think I have got 5 bad cells? Any way of trying to condition them? Look forward to hearing what should do or try...

Thanks
Ric

4.2v hot off the charger!? what kind of charger are you using?

It sounds like those cells are being overcharged, just my guess.
It could be from a bad balance from the factory.
And whatever you are using to balance it is not doing a good job.

Did you equalize the cells before you put them in the pack together? (parallel them all and charge with a single cell charger so they're all at the same SOC)

Are you using a BMS?

If you are doing neither, then you should STOP what you're doing and do both. These batteries need to be balanced before putting them in a pack, or have a balancer installed. If you did neither, its no wonder your pack is out of whack.

If it were me, i'd throw a cheap balancer on there.

Good advice to paralell the cells, and do some break in cycles that way. Then assemble the pack in series configuration.

Back