Reverse with Grin Phase/Baserunner

I have a long trike with a large turning radius compared to upright bicycles using a GMAC, Baserunner, CA3. I want to be able to reverse the motor. I have read another thread here pointing out there is a wire in the 'mains' connector of later Baserunners and Phaserunners and if I ground this wire, the motor will reverse.

I have several questions.

To do this, I need the connector that mates with the existing one. Can anyone suggest what that is called/specified as, and where to get one?

If I'm at speed, and I ground the wire, I expect the motor will attempt to reverse, (and also be limited to the maximum reverse-or-walk speed set in the CA3). This sounds vaguely catastrophic at 10+ km/hour.

Patient: Doc, it hurts when I do this.
Doctor: Well, don't do that.

I'm thinking of a button or switch with a physical guard over it so I can't push it without some conscious action first, or perhaps a key switch, or just a rotary switch.

Any thoughts, experience, connector names?

For the latest versions, on the ebikes.ca page you link the connector is shown and labelled as below
1700384301355.png 1700384252538.png
"Mains Connector: A 9 pin plug provides all the signals needed for conventional ebike wiring harness strategies where the throttle and ebrake connect to the motor controller and a 3rd party display has the on/off power and communicates the assist level. For the controller to turn on, the key input on either the Mains or CA plugs must be shorted to V+."

The following cables all have the connector to plug into it; you would then need to perform whatever wiring within the cable is needed for your particular setup. I recommend the first, as it's just an extension, and you can plug it between your existing setup and the BR, then cut into the extension cable sheath to access the necessary wires for your reverse switch.

1700384817039.png

1700384785211.png

1700384750395.png

If you prefer to source just a connector and make your own cabling, Grin says it's a "9 pin Cusmade connector", which shows the following:
I don't know which of them is the right one, but you can probably match the grin pics to the ones from the Cusmade site, or ask Grin which specific part number it is.

If you have a different BR version, you'd have to check the info for it's connectors/wiring.

Regarding the switch--the controller may have an interlock available so that reverse cannot be engaged or disengaged until it is at zero speed; these would be in the Dev Screen parameters list somewhere if so (like the Reverse / walk speed is--I don't know of any such setting in the Cycle Analyst though--if it has one it isn't in the firmware version I've got installed).

If it doens't, and has no safety feature to prevent sudden reversal (not something I've tested), it would indeed be a good idea to have a safety mechanism to prevent accidental reversal while in forward motion. ;)

That could be a switch wiht a cover like aviation types like this
1700385856043.png
and wired such that it's on position requires the cover be flipped up. There are quite a few variations on this type of switch, which include pushbuttons and rockers, etc.

or it could be a two-part switch, requiring toggling or pressing a switch in one place before you can engage the main switch, so they can't both be accidentally engaged.

There's ohter more complex safeties that could be implemented, but any of the above should be sufficient.

There's ohter more complex safeties that could be implemented, but any of the above should be sufficient.
Yes. It occurs to me that this will spin the pedals backwards as well, so I'll need to take it seriously. If it wasn't so awkward, I'd consider two foot switches I could only actuate with my feet off the pedals. I'll think about it.

I suspect it's a Series "D/E" 1109A - signal connector. Buying the Grin cable is probably the easiest way to acquire the connector from here in Australia, and it's guaranteed to work.

The foot switches would have to be wireless, each with their own battery. ;)

(or even more complex things like brushplates, etc)

On the SB Cruiser trike (and all the previous bikes), my reverse has been manual for so long I am just used to getting my feet off the pedals....

The foot switches would have to be wireless, each with their own battery
No, no. I mentioned "off the pedals". I'm thinking of switches I must close by taking my feet off the pedals and out of the way of the flailing crank arms.

Simply being not-dumb would be adequate, of course. What are the chances?

I use a CA3, and the 'mains' connector is not connected at all in my current set up. A minute with a bare wire connecting Fwd/Rev to Gnd proves the function - the motor spins sedately backwards. Removing that short restores expected function.

Back