Rude comments from lycras. Should we reply?

eSurfer

100 W
A couple of weeks ago I got this one: "Hey, don't be a fat ass, why don't you just pedal?" My reply was, "Because I'm wearing dress clothes and on my way to work. I'll bet you drive a car to work." I got no reply to this.

A couple of days ago I got this one: "Oh no, there's another one. Hey buddy, working hard?" I would have made some snarky reply but I was too far ahead of them too quickly to say much. Didn't feel like slowing down and couldn't think of anything to say at the moment anyway. It's funny because, surfing almost every day, I'm probably in as good of shape as all but the fittest of them.

Should we just ignore these kinds of morons who think they are the gods of the bike path? Or should we try to educate them?

Educating is pretty useless because it"s attitude problem. Ethics of sport give permission to insult. It"s kind of fascist ideology, sport. A cult. There"s not much you can do about it.
Educating just makes them more spiky often, they are not very interested about facts. Best one i got yesterday was "so you got electric-assisted exercise bike?" :lol:, when i tried to explain the principle.
They want to compete. Communication is a fight for them, where other one loses and other one wins.
I would say it"s just old men commonly, not lycras spesifically. Old crumpy men, their identity was 100% constucted during the peak of the car age.
Actually many cyclists are in fact car fans who hate all light traffic. They praise sport but light traffic annoys them.
It"s so obvious. A week ago we had kind of large bicycle expo here, where there was old Volkswagen brought on one stand.
On a cycling forum everybody thumbed the Volkswagen, what a beautiful thing!, but hated the electric bikes around it :mrgreen:
That"s just how it is. Cyclists are car enthusiasts who hate light traffic. At least around here.

Don't bother. Runners, skateboarders, climbers, skiers, snowboarders, and yes cyclists to name a few are elitist. It's not even their fault, it's a culture. I've been heavily into all of the above and after reading sport specific magazines and hanging out with real hardcore types you just get brainwashed. I know now it's all different flavours of the same attitude but it's very encompassing when your in it.

You can't fix stupid.

Always reply in the same spirit they offer. If they are jerks, be a mirror...... If you don't respond, you cede the space to them and then you are the intruder into their areas when in fact we all have exactly the same right to be on the same roads and trails. Do not let assholes dictate the rules in public spaces simply because it is uncomfortable to oppose them, if everyone did this we abandon our community common areas to the loudest and most offensive. Is this what we want as a society?

As to the smartass remarks, I just tell them I'll discuss it at the top of the hill...., but I can't wait too long for the old or the slow so they had better hurry up!

Let the lycra get in front... then tail him peleton style slightly to the side so he knows youre right behind him when he shoulder checks. Ring the bell once in a while when the road narrows to single file so he needs to speed up. Do it for the whole trip.

Raged said:
Let the lycra get in front... then tail him peleton style slightly to the side so he knows youre right behind him when he shoulder checks. Ring the bell once in a while when the road narrows to single file so he needs to speed up. Do it for the whole trip.

We had a big storm a couple of days ago & Saturday it was clear and beautiful. The trails were full of people: lots of hikers and lots of lycras. At one point while roaming the trails this afternoon I passed a really fit clydesdale on a long twisty increasing dirt grade after following in his tracks for a bend or two while shaking and flexing my right arm (repetitive motion injury from work) and steering with the left.... :lol:

Once we got to the top there was a group of riders resting there in club jerseys who were stunned by my bike. It started out with "You're cheating", and ended up with "That's so cool, dude!". They were 20-something kids and they loved it! But I suspect they really did the climbs just to rock the descents as opposed to being true lycras who glory in the pain. Any way they all did the "pull out the phone and make a note" thing when I told them about our local ebike seller: LunaCycle.com.

BTW when the clyde caught up with us he was very nice and didn't seem bummed at all about being passed by someone with a motor. And why should he? It's apples and oranges: we just share the same paths/roads, the same they already share with walkers and horse people.

"I'm not cheating I'm commuting" is the best retort I've seen here. Or variations of same. " Hey, we're riding different bikes for different reasons. "

They just make themselves feel good by being superior. No real problem with letting them. I've done the same thing many times with other sports. There's a definite progression you make in skill and strength, and you do get proud of whatever level of the pyramid you made it to. But,,,, there is no real excuse for the comments, that's just a d---head being an ass. This guy's problem is not that he's into pedaling. His problem is that he's into being a d---head.

Bottom line, trying to communicate with this guy is pointless, completely pointless. But if you encounter somebody who wants to have a real conversation about what you ride, and why, then pace them and talk all you want.

I think the problem is that eBikes are beginning to proliferate here in Newport Beach. The lycras are seeing a lot of them on the trails and are getting annoyed. Most of the eBikers are tourists that rent a bike from our Pedego place right here on the beach. They are everywhere on the weekends. Those people are not daily commuters, keeping cars off the road and helping to save the planet, like many of us.

hehe

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 12.46.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 12.46.15 PM.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 2,212
I received nothing but positive vibes the other day when I rode up the mountain and right up to the chairlift with my snowboard strapped to my back. No one has done that before, if nothing else it showed the utility of a fat tired E bike. No lycras or any other cyclists were encountered on the ride up. But my guess is a high percentage of skiers/ boarders bike also, in fact almost all I know do. I think I blew some minds, don't think I pissed anyone off, we'll see how it goes over on the local trail system, might be a different deal. That's their problem.

Sad that some of you guys can not be the grown ups regarding shared use trails. Why engage or take on someone else's attitude. I ride seriously most every day and would not take kindly to some ass tailing me with a ebike. I can assure you it would not end well for them after I gave them fair warning as I know all too easily how to take down another bike while riding in close proximity. :twisted:

If someone can talk easily while riding, it is safe to say, "taking it easy today" or "recovering from a injury"? Always best to Just ignore them or just wish them a great day. Many want to be serious cyclist and go out and spent 10 plus K on equipment just to look the part and then just ride a few hours a week at a light pace. Pro's will not be bothered unless you hassle them. They are working so give them the room they need and go on with your business. If you pull off a bone headed pass, don't be surprised by the response you deserve. It is a difficult way to make a living, so show some respect.

speedmd said:
If you pull off a bone headed pass, don't be surprised by the response you deserve. It is a difficult way to make a living, so show some respect.

What would make passing someone boneheaded? Passing when it is too tight? Cutting in too closely in front of them. Going by too fast? I always slow down to 20 ish and give a wide berth as I go by. What else?

I'm sure the rude comments will continue, and I don't really care, but I want them to be undeserved.

If someone is earning a living from the use of public roads or trails, don't they have the same rights of access as ebikers? That is: no more and no less than anyone else. A persons job choice does not grant them special privileges or a right of way over other users of public spaces.

If a person chooses to make a living driving a taxi or a truck should we all give them a wide berth and yield to them too? They are out there working while we are just doing our personal business and driving for Uber is tough job, so let's all agree that they have more rights than we do......

How can a training athlete using the public streets claim a privilege over Mom on her ebike? On the contrary: a professional should show greater courtesy and demonstrate actual "professionalism" while performing their jobs, such as training on public roads. Not whine and cry because their tender fee-fees and delicate egos are wounded by having to share the trail with ebikes to the extent that they feel justified to "take out" another citizen because they had the temerity to actually ride behind them for too long.

My God, what a sense of entitlement! To feel justified in assaulting another person just because they have the gall to ride on the same road at the same time on a different sort of bicycle....... :roll:

It is not often that I let myself being distracted and talk to any other users of the streets, not even to cagers trying to kill me. I consider them as moving obstacles and my focus is not on their personality. Yet sometimes on a red light I give a reply, like this guy who said I should wear a helmet: I looked at his bike that had a baby carrier, and replied that he should wear a condom. :wink:

What would make passing someone boneheaded? Passing when it is too tight? Cutting in too closely in front of them. Going by too fast?

Yes there is a law about this. You need to be three feet from them when passing with a motor vehicle and it does not sound like your street / trail legal so it is wise to slow a bit as it will make things worse for all of us ebikers. A few years back a moto passed by me going some 100 mph too fast inches from me. I searched for this idiot for weeks. He ended up dead from crashing his bike later that summer.

Raged wrote:
Try this with a real pro and see how it works out for you. You would at least get a water bottle in the face from me after a warning and a wave by if you did not wise up. And deserve it!

If someone is earning a living from the use of public roads or trails, don't they have the same rights of access as ebikers? That is: no more and no less than anyone else.
Yes, exactly, respect works both ways. If you harass them, your just asking for it and it will escalate to the point where all ebikes will start to see restrictions. Not a good long term strategy.

speedmd said:
What would make passing someone boneheaded? Passing when it is too tight? Cutting in too closely in front of them. Going by too fast?

Yes there is a law about this. You need to be three feet from them when passing with a motor vehicle and it does not sound like your street / trail legal so it is wise to slow a bit as it will make things worse for all of us ebikers. A few years back a moto passed by me going some 100 mph too fast inches from me. I searched for this idiot for weeks. He ended up dead from crashing his bike later that summer.

Yes my bike is illegal because it exceeds max wattage and speed. Max speed is in the mid 30's. However, I only go faster than 20 MPH when there is absolutely nobody around. I never zoom past anyone; walker, biker, skateboarder because it's irresponsible. Too easy to hurt someone. Very few people pedaling their bikes even go 20; I'm noticing that the average speed of someone pushing fairly hard, aside from the occasional pro, is between 14 and 18, so I can usually safely pass them without causing a legitimate offense.

In both of the recent incidents of rude comments from lycras, I was going about 18. Just fast enough to get by. Gave them a wide berth. Rang my bell from way back. Attempted to practice extreme courtesy in every way.

I think a lot of the ire from lycras is that they just don't like being passed. They seem to be offended by the bell too. They are competing with me even though I am just trying to get to work on time.

speeded said:
Raged wrote:
Try this with a real pro and see how it works out for you. You would at least get a water bottle in the face from me after a warning and a wave by if you did not wise up. And deserve it!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a live and let live person. I've only had a few instances where the lycra looks at my bike and tells me I'm a cheater at the lights. 100% unprovoked... I didn't even know we were racing since I was just commuting home. I have no hesitation of doing it to those people, and if the bottle is thrown at me, that would be called assault and reported.

Step 1 in not causing conflict is to not be a dick.

Finland and California are two , very different places, from what I experience on my e-bike. so you have many grumpy old men in Findland ?? its probably the bad weather there and too much Alcohol .

Here in California, it is the Old Men that want e-bikes, they are very interested in my e-bike bike, and even getting an e-bike for themselves .

The problem is mostly with young 20 something year olds that are very fit, and have a competitive personality , and even then mostly from the Mountain Bike 20 year olds , Roadies are more open to the idea of a e-bike.

Where I live many of the very fit , Lycra , Roadies, actually like the electric bike. and have many questions they ask me about the bike, just a small percentage that are assholes .

Just a couple of days ago , a pair of very fit young 20 something year olds passed passed by on their road bikes, ( I still have the Cycle Analyst on the Factory / legal speed setting ) , one of them looked over at me and without me explaining anything he said, " I am happy for you "

I have mentioned to enough of them that the only way that I can keep up with them , ride any distance at all , and not have a heart attack ... to ride my electric bike, looks like I am getting known around here
the young 20 year old that told me he was happy for me did not even get an explanation from me , seems like he knew who I am .

Eskimo said:
Educating is pretty useless because it"s attitude problem. Ethics of sport give permission to insult. It"s kind of fascist ideology, sport. A cult. There"s not much you can do about it.
Educating just makes them more spiky often, they are not very interested about facts. Best one i got yesterday was "so you got electric-assisted exercise bike?" :lol:, when i tried to explain the principle.
They want to compete. Communication is a fight for them, where other one loses and other one wins.
I would say it"s just old men commonly, not lycras spesifically. Old crumpy men, their identity was 100% constucted during the peak of the car age.
Actually many cyclists are in fact car fans who hate all light traffic. They praise sport but light traffic annoys them.
It"s so obvious. A week ago we had kind of large bicycle expo here, where there was old Volkswagen brought on one stand.
On a cycling forum everybody thumbed the Volkswagen, what a beautiful thing!, but hated the electric bikes around it :mrgreen:
That"s just how it is. Cyclists are car enthusiasts who hate light traffic. At least around here.

ScooterMan101 said:
Finland and California are two , very different places,

Yes they are, though Finland is propably the most American-like country in Europe. We have about as much guns here as you have.
We also have liberal e-bike law now, as you do. With "old men" i mean 50-70 old guys. Late middle-age really i know. I am 45.
Those are the group that is most critical. Even if they have some health problem, e-bike is just out of question for them. It"s just too much on a thought level alone.
They are 100% car people. No matter is it Tesla or e-bike, they just hate e-vehicles. Too unmasculine and way too green. Girly climate change crap. Here in feminist hell aged guys feel their masculinity seriously threatened 24/7, i kinda understand them too, and e-ride is a serious threat for that old John Wayne-identity.
People under forty are usually ok with e-ride.

FWIW, I have only once had a negative comment from a real racer. In general, they pass me because I have settled into a pattern of mostly riding about 20 mph, and they go much faster. But a "lycra" some agro 50 something, laughs at me, then I push him. The trick is not to push him close. Let him pass, then slow down. Let him get his look at how fast he left you 300 feet behind. Then the fun begins. :twisted:

Every time he's not visible because of a turn or hill, goose it. He'll keep checking, I assure you. Keep yo yo ing, every time he sees you catching up he'll sprint. :lol: Keep dropping back, then catching up. With luck, you can keep this dhead in the red zone for half an hour or more. When he cracks completely, be sure to whistle a tune as you go by.

Don't get me wrong guys, I love both types of bikes and wish I had a few ebikers out on the road that I could pace with for training. It by far a much too under utilized training tool for most serious cyclist. Nothing like trying to draft at 30+MPH for 5, 10 and 20 minutes for getting speed and power in your legs. Ebikes are much much nicer smelling than ice scooters. Even better with a pretty lady on it. 8)

Would love to race a few of you guys on some of my favorite twisty down hill mountain routes with your low power setups. :shock: Climbs? Well, you just do the best you can. :( Would be interesting to see how a top cyclist competes with a 200 watt setup...

anoNY42 said:
speedmd said:
I searched for this idiot for weeks. He ended up dead from crashing his bike later that summer.

Suspicious!

:lol: Nope, had nothing to do with this idiot sliding off the road at better than 100 mph on a fast curve. Practicing for Isle of Mann TT possibly. :shock: Just what happens when you explore the limits on a daily basis. Sad to see a twenty year old do this but Fortunately he took no one else with him. You could see from a distance that he was riding way above his abilities....

Back