S12SN 72V LCD3 P1 Parameter as Speed Governor Tested

Lancer_IV

1 mW
A little background on my setup. I was using LCD3 with a 48v controller and 1500 watt front wheel hub motor. Yes it's stupid crazy, chopped off what was left of the broken dropouts and installed a make shift steel reinforced one using welded flat bars and tubing to bolt on to the suspension forks.

Note: no load speed values were from the internal rotor speed not external sensor.

The 48v setup no load speed was limited to 72kph. At the time I assumed it was the limit of the 48v system. Speed at load was not up to par for me though, so I decided to splurge on a 72v setup with new controller and 72v compatible LCD3 thinking the no load speed will also be increased. Negative, 72v system was still limited to 72kph at no load. Speed at load maintained at 72kph on an incline no issues and I was plenty happy with that. :)

Today I dragged myself to dust off the stored bike so I can run down the battery during the winter. But then decided to change the P1 settings to see what it really does. I have read on the forums this is your motor parameter but it tells you to multiply by the gear ratio... So my thinking is it uses this value in determining your speed limit when you have no external speed sensor running. My initial P1 was set to 46, I changed it to 92 effectively telling the system that I have a gear reduction of 2:1. Ran it full throttle and it was spinning noticeably faster! I let the throttle to medium and waited 'till the system determined it will use the rotor speed as the speed displayed. 63kph max reading on the display x 2 = 126kph @ no load!! Wow!

Will have to risk the Canadian winter and try it out on the bike path to confirm if my externally connected speed sensor on the rear wheel will limit the speed or if its still calculated internally via rotor speed regardless of the external value shown. P2 parameter can be set to 2 (speed sensor pulse value) as another bypass if necessary.:)

Hopefully this will help someone out there trying to bypass the speed limit of s12s and s-lcd3/kt-lcd3 and other similar controllers. Have fun and safe riding everyone! Time to upgrade my helmet...

Have you tested that allready? Also if you have both 48 and 72v version it will be great if you can look inside whats different because the price is much different.

Back