• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Sabvoton Blown

Jguest

10 mW
My motor spindle span and ripped the motor feed wires and shorted them. My controller now has a short across the positive and negative terminals. Any thoughts what might have blown inside before I strip it down? Any schematics available? I ave the 120v 80A version.

Any FETs shorted by it are probably blown, and maybe their gate drivers, as well as any hall sensors in the motor shorted to phase wires, as well as the MCU if the hall sensors did get shorted to phases.

If you're lucky only phases shorted to each other, so only FETs and gate drivers would be toast.

But there's a good chance halls shorted to phases, and that means essentially battery voltage on signal lines directly into the MCU, which can't handle that, and would be damaged or destroyed.

There's no Sabvoton schematics I know of, but there are generic controller schematics, if you poke around some of the very old hotrodding / overclocking / etc threads, most of which are probably for Infineon types. Most generic controllers have the same basic power stage designs, with few if any protections against this kind of failure; those old schematics will probably get you started---but you'll probably have to figure out a fair bit of stuff on your own for it.

There's also FET troubleshooting info at http://ebikes.ca in the Learn and then Troubleshooting tab.

Two thirds of the fets short circuit, no visible damage to any minor components. So hopefully only fet damage. Smell of burnt electrical components :bolt:

Back